What Proof do Theists Want?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2012, 05:19 PM
RE: What Proof do Theists Want?
(22-12-2012 11:28 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  In my honest opinion, no offence to anyone that fits this description but I don't think they actually care for the other side. They may act like it, argue, read a science article or two but when they constantly seem to bounce back with bullshit do they really care? There are members on this form (Richard, Bucky, to name a few on top of my head) that have destroyed any arguments that God exists on this forum.

I've noticed a few people (on this forum and in other places) that just keep arguing, debating. I don't think they really care, if they did they'd be seemingly smarter. If people that claim they want proof actually want it, then the arguments that are usually made will make a dent. If not, well then I wouldn't waste my time with them. They can pretend they care to be smarter about the subject, to learn but when there isn't any product then you can tell they don't really give a fuck.

Nonsense. I just persuaded someone today after several people attempted to get through with seemingly identical arguments. Obviously there are those who are permanently ignorant, but typically it all comes down to the presentation.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2012, 07:44 PM
(23-12-2012 05:19 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 11:28 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  In my honest opinion, no offence to anyone that fits this description but I don't think they actually care for the other side. They may act like it, argue, read a science article or two but when they constantly seem to bounce back with bullshit do they really care? There are members on this form (Richard, Bucky, to name a few on top of my head) that have destroyed any arguments that God exists on this forum.

I've noticed a few people (on this forum and in other places) that just keep arguing, debating. I don't think they really care, if they did they'd be seemingly smarter. If people that claim they want proof actually want it, then the arguments that are usually made will make a dent. If not, well then I wouldn't waste my time with them. They can pretend they care to be smarter about the subject, to learn but when there isn't any product then you can tell they don't really give a fuck.

Nonsense. I just persuaded someone today after several people attempted to get through with seemingly identical arguments. Obviously there are those who are permanently ignorant, but typically it all comes down to the presentation.
That is true, sadly it seems a large amount of them are forever ignorant.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
24-12-2012, 01:34 AM
I think this is the defining difference between a atheist and a theist. Atheists will reject what the theist believes because of the absence of evidence. Theists, however, accept their beliefs simply because they believe it in the first place, which they misinterpret as proof. In reality, the only proof they have is the proof they believe. In the secular community, it's common knowledge that many theists suffer from the logical fallacy known as circular reasoning. This is the case sadly because circular reasoning is the principle tenet of all theists. Without it you really don't have a belief in the first place.

Many of my friends are theists. As far as I can tell, they aren't really asking for proof because they believe they already have it. However, I'm not going to assume this is the case for all theists. When I was a theist, I really wanted proof to support my beliefs. I wanted to rely on more than just faith. For so long I told myself, "I need proof!" until I finally asked myself a different question: "What would proof look like?"

I think everyone should ask themselves the same question.

If you think Superman is real, comics are historical events,
and a bite from a radioactive spider will give you superpowers,
congratulations! You're on the same playing field as a theist.
[+] 2 users Like TomS's post
24-12-2012, 04:10 PM
I am new to this forum and I'm not sure what the difference is between "REPLY" and the option for a "Quick Reply". Since I am not a fast typist, I will not use the Quick Reply. Also, since I have never gotten into the habit of using emoticons, it'll be up to you to imagine a small, eye-rolling, yellow face placed immediately after that last sentence.

Anyway, I think many theist have been heavily indoctrinated and it takes too much critical thinking to overcome their religious beliefs. Other believers have almost no abilities in rational, objective thinking and consequently they cannot work through the analytical points made against most religions. It's like in a sci-fi movie where a robot has been given conflicting programming and he starts to vibrate and smoke as he yells "Error! Error!" in a computer voice.
[+] 1 user Likes Katiegal's post
24-12-2012, 06:26 PM
(24-12-2012 04:10 PM)Katiegal Wrote:  I am new to this forum and I'm not sure what the difference is between "REPLY" and the option for a "Quick Reply". Since I am not a fast typist, I will not use the Quick Reply. Also, since I have never gotten into the habit of using emoticons, it'll be up to you to imagine a small, eye-rolling, yellow face placed immediately after that last sentence.

Anyway, I think many theist have been heavily indoctrinated and it takes too much critical thinking to overcome their religious beliefs. Other believers have almost no abilities in rational, objective thinking and consequently they cannot work through the analytical points made against most religions. It's like in a sci-fi movie where a robot has been given conflicting programming and he starts to vibrate and smoke as he yells "Error! Error!" in a computer voice.
Quick reply lets you post on the current page you're on, Reply takes you to a new page.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Newest Accusation For Proof That Atheists Are Evil: Dr. Kevorkian Was Atheist! WindyCityJazz 3 121 22-07-2014 07:54 PM
Last Post: Smercury44
  "The mind is proof of god's existence." Chujutsu 162 4,693 21-07-2014 03:42 PM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Non insulting ways of messing with theists? Shadow Fox 8 187 11-07-2014 11:39 AM
Last Post: Reltzik
  Why We Let Theists Stay On Our Forum: Because We Have No Fear WindyCityJazz 36 791 02-07-2014 03:16 PM
Last Post: TarzanSmith
  Yes, Atheists Should Be Patient With Theists, But We Also Have The Right To Get Angry WindyCityJazz 19 436 23-06-2014 08:17 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Proof Yahweh isn't real. TSG 40 1,952 18-06-2014 12:57 PM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid
Tongue Fuck off Theists, we have already won: sporehux 6 148 13-06-2014 02:28 AM
Last Post: Michael_Tadlock