What Science Course(s) Should I Go Into?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2014, 12:14 AM
I'm a highschool graduate and I've been out of school for over a year now. I'm 18 and I can't drive yet because I don't have my license. I just never got around to doing the test. When I was picking my classes for highschool I specifically picked ones that didn't require advanced math. I even had to drop out of Chemistry after the first semester because the formulas were too hard. I never got a firm grasp on mathematics. In all my other classes I got A's, but when it came to math I struggled. In the past year and a half however, I gained a passion for both science and art. I also became an atheist which is why I'm here, but mostly I found a desire for knowledge and creativity. Now, I am getting ready to go to community college and it will be the first time I've gone to a public school since 3rd grade. (I was homeschooled and online schooled after that.) So here's my dilemma: I'm well taught in English, horrible at math, fairly good at composing and creating music, and want to learn science. I want to retain my knowledge of English and music, but I can't take more than 3 or 4 courses. I am using a grant and I don't know what the maximum amount of classes it covers is, but I want to keep it low so I can use the leftover money for gas and expenses as well as have some extra time so I don't get bogged down with too much work. My question is, if I'm bad at math and most likely can't learn it because of mental and emotional limitations, but I want to learn science and get a degree in both it and the Arts, how should I go about selecting my courses and which sciences should I start with since this is my first year?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2014, 02:42 AM
RE: What Science Course(s) Should I Go Into?
I don't really know how to put this nicely but Maths is pretty much essential in all the sciences.

One thing does leap out me from the combination of skills you describe...

The world is changing, it is no longer enough to be a science whizz, one must also be able to communicate the science.

Not everyone is a Sagan or a Cox or a deGrasse Tyson and these lesser mortals will need, and therefore there will be a growing demand for, artsy-types who can understand the science well enough to create CGI, documentaries and YouTube things with original sound tracks.

The nature of education is changing.. from classrooms and books to virtual collaborations and tablets (the ancient Greeks got that bit right).

By the time you graduate, new jobs in these areas will be appearing ... and if they haven't, you can blaze the trail, so learn some basic business skills as well.

And good luck.

Thumbsup

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
15-06-2014, 05:17 AM
My brother is a graduate neuroscientist, but has lost interest in killing bees and rats to extract their neurons for experimentation so has put his PhD on hold to study for a master of science communication. It might not be a bad option. Nice suggestion DLJ.

As for science courses more specifically, when I studied it was for a generic Science degree that gave me a lot of flexibility to choose particular subjects I liked along the way. It was something like an arts degree but with science™ respect. I started out doing mostly mathematics with a little physics and chemistry, but eventually worked my way around to computer science. Depending on the course you choose you may find you have a similar degree of flexibility to chop and change once you get started.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
15-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks. I never thought about being a science communicator. I didn't even know there was a course for it. I'm not sure I'd like it as a job but I would probably be able to do it well enough. Mainly I just want to learn all I can about science so if I do want to teach it, I can do so without second guessing myself. I'm not so good at making visual art of any kind, so I'm not so sure how I could get science across in my songs. I'm also not a good lyricist. I'm pretty much a perfectionist which is why I give up on so many things like learning math, drawing, and writing words for my songs. The only reason I keep making music is because I know it's not an exact science and somebody out there will enjoy it even if it's not perfect. With visual design, not so much. So I guess I'll set my sights on a basic science degree for now, but I am willing to relearn math if needed.
15-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Physics.

Do physics.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
15-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Alchemy is always a good option. Weeping

Find something fun to do with math, (like sports statistics or something).
When you have a reason to learn it that's fun, it's a breeze.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-06-2014, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2014 12:50 AM by Michael_Tadlock.)
(15-06-2014 10:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Physics.

Do physics.

Agreed, but even basic physics requires at least a passing understanding of differential and integral calculus.

If you want to study science than you are going to have to cozy up to math. It is not possible to gain both a useful and adequate understanding of science without, at a minimum, advanced algebra, and for most fields, at least rudimentary calculus. In light of this I think a better topic of this thread would be which math classes should I take.

Math is a difficult subject, and for many people, not terribly rewarding in its own right. I can certainly agree with that. However, while some people are much better at math than others, I truly believe that anybody can learn algebra and calculus with enough effort. Keep in mind if you are intimidated by algebra than you are not alone. The hardest part about advance mathematics is not the calculus or the linear algebra or the differential equations, it is the fundamental algebraic steps you have to do the middle that are the most challenging. If you are person that struggles with arithmetic (and I know many brilliant people that do), well, they let you use computers for that now Smile. Even on exams!

If you are only interested in studying science in a casual way you can take some introductory courses in physics, biology, and chemistry that will give you a top down, conceptual understanding on many topics. Even these introductory courses are going to require some fairly basic algebra. You can expect most any college level science class you take to be more difficult than the equations and the stoichiometry you did in high school.
[+] 3 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
16-06-2014, 01:03 AM
(15-06-2014 10:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Alchemy is always a good option. Weeping

Find something fun to do with math, (like sports statistics or something).
When you have a reason to learn it that's fun, it's a breeze.

There's also Statistics for Liberal Arts Majors (I know) class most universities offer that is tuned for people who aren't math savvy.

Long story short, I took the class because I skipped high school, and needed the math credits. If nothing else, it's a good starting point.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
16-06-2014, 04:04 AM

Do physics.

^Ignore this one, do biology.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
16-06-2014, 04:10 AM
(16-06-2014 04:04 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  

Do physics.

^Ignore this one, do biology.

Yeah, Biology isn't too math heavy...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.