What Science Course(s) Should I Go Into?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2014, 05:39 AM
RE: What Science Course(s) Should I Go Into?
(17-06-2014 05:23 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  If you are looking to improve your maths skills, I suggest giving something like https://www.khanacademy.org/ a try.

"Early math" huh...

Methinks I'll have to start using this website. I might get my mathematical ability to surpass that of your average Year 5.

... Then I'll just need to bet my spelling sand writing above that of a two year old and I'll be golden.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2014, 08:18 AM
I took astronomy in college Big Grin (because I was a liberal arts major Tongue)

I wish I'd put more effort into maths though... I'd like to take physics (and a bunch of other things!) if I ever manage to wrangle a hefty scholarship for a masters. My interests have turned much more sciency since I graduated. I kind of feel like I missed an opportunity Undecided

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
17-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Maths (with an "s" in my part of the world) is often a subject you have to be "ready" to grasp. I had trouble grasping calculus when I first met it - real trouble!! Then suddenly it just clicked. I was 17 at the time. I've also heard of people who couldn't get it in their teens but who "got" in early in their 20s. In university, I went on to study mathematical statistics. When somebody wants to tell me about a problem, I want to see the algebra. Without the algebra (regression function, differential equation, matrix expression, whatever), I don't feel at all comfortable.

Khan academy is an excellent place to start. Don't try to overreach. Get in contact with potential teachers and tutors. A good one is worth his/her weight in gold.
02-07-2014, 02:24 AM
Math got a lot easier for me once I got to college. Also, like someone before said, khan academy is a great resource. As far as low math science, try anthropology.
02-07-2014, 04:48 AM
This thread's appearance just reminded me that I'll have to start thinking about this soon....

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
02-07-2014, 06:46 AM
(17-06-2014 05:39 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(17-06-2014 05:23 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  If you are looking to improve your maths skills, I suggest giving something like https://www.khanacademy.org/ a try.
"Early math" huh...
Methinks I'll have to start using this website. I might get my mathematical ability to surpass that of your average Year 5.
... Then I'll just need to bet my spelling sand writing above that of a two year old and I'll be golden.

It's a course targeted at school children roughly up to school leavers. The sections include:
* Early maths
* Grade 3 - 8
* Arithmetic
* Algebra
* Geometry
* Trigonometry
* Probability and statistics
* Differential calculus

The site also covers science, economic, arts, and computing topics. I don't know how good the content is in the later stages. I'm currently working through the earlier stages with my eight year old.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
03-07-2014, 12:17 AM
(02-07-2014 06:46 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(17-06-2014 05:39 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  "Early math" huh...

It's a course targeted at school children roughly up to school leavers. The sections include:
* Early maths
* Grade 3 - 8
* Arithmetic
* Algebra
* Geometry
* Trigonometry
* Probability and statistics
* Differential calculus

The site also covers science, economic, arts, and computing topics. I don't know how good the content is in the later stages. I'm currently working through the earlier stages with my eight year old.

Early maths sounds about right. Yes

I'll get on it during the holidays, when I'm not studying fer my exams.
Lucky for me, I have few calculations I need to perform. But lots of writing. I pity he who must read it; no wait they are paid enough.

03-07-2014, 06:52 PM
If you actually can't do math then I'm afraid hard sciences like physics, chemistry, and astronomy are kinda out.

Geology is doable. As is anthropology and archeology.
26-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Math is a struggle for me but I find a lot of the sciences interesting. Biology was probably my favorite. What interests you?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
28-07-2014, 06:43 AM
Hi,

I would go for biology! You have a wide field of study in that!
From the basics of evolution. Cell growth, Biological divergence, and then there are projects that can get you to see other parts of the world!

Yes I am a biologist but then if you like just learning about all things you could then make a good teacher!! And we all need good teachers!

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!