What Science Course(s) Should I Go Into?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2014, 06:52 AM
RE: What Science Course(s) Should I Go Into?
(28-07-2014 06:43 AM)JONES Wrote:  ....
Yes I am a biologist ...

So, you admit to being bias in this case, eh?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Alchemy.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
28-07-2014, 09:36 PM
(28-07-2014 07:24 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Alchemy.

With a minor in astrology? Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-08-2014, 04:02 AM
What Science Course(s) Should I Go Into?
OP: You're a Philosophy major.

Sorry, but it's true.
Accept your future major in Fast Food Delivery Services.

Those of us who grasp large general concepts but can't do math are doomed to fail.

Pick a soft conceptual science like psychology and reap the benefits of a private practice.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
02-08-2014, 09:55 AM
(28-07-2014 06:52 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(28-07-2014 06:43 AM)JONES Wrote:  ....
Yes I am a biologist ...

So, you admit to being bias in this case, eh?
Working out the current on an anode? No! I do not think so!
Or is it the wove of cloth? No!

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!
02-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Biology is my favorite.

Scientific evidence should be the bedrock of policy formation and logic should be the basis for all arguments.

If you haven't already done so, make sure a belief including transitional evolution can be tested by the scientific method steps:
Observation
Hypothesis
Experiment
Collect data
Conclusion
Law
02-08-2014, 12:07 PM
(02-08-2014 11:08 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Biology is my favorite.

Scientific evidence should be the bedrock of policy formation and logic should be the basis for all arguments.

If you haven't already done so, make sure a belief including transitional evolution can be tested by the scientific method steps:
Observation
Hypothesis
Experiment
Collect data
Conclusion
Law

The term is 'evolution'. Unless you mean something completely different. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-08-2014, 12:59 PM
What kind of a learner are you? I'm a global learner, I do best with case studies.
You say your mind is more artistic? Then look for patterns in math (same thing with chemistry). You can think of it as rules or patterns when you are dealing with more basic math. If trying to grasp a basic concept, make the equation EASY. Like basic algebra: x+1=0, 2x-1=0, 43/7x-53=0 are all solved the same way. Many people see the bigger numbers and defeat themselves before they start. Most colleges offer tutors for the intro level courses. Anything outside of biology 101/201 is going to require a good grasp of basic chemistry. If you can't grasp ions you can't grasp A&P concepts like sodium channels, action potential, cardiac contractility etc.
Math was used a LOT in my physics and astronomy classes so ignore those suggestions - what would you do with astronomy unless you just need it as a core science to satisfy degree requirements? Physical science is easier than astronomy. If you want to do well in the more advanced concepts, you're going to have to take the basic classes and understand those first.
For me to understand Gen chem, I had to think of everything as a relationship, and then some rote memorization. You just have to sit down and memorize the rules for redox reactions (you can pick up on patterns in the exceptions to help with that as well). Use multicolored pens and highlighters for your notes and notecards. Because it had been 10 years since I took my last Gen chem class (if your school offers intro chem take that FIRST before general chem since these classes are hard for you), I retook it this past spring because many of the graduate programs I'm interested require your most recent chem to be within 5 years - that and I'm wanting to take biochem so I have less difficulty in CRNA school. My chem book had an online component called OWLS and it was really helpful. When you have a 3-D representation of a molecule that you can tinker with, it helps that artistic side understand it better.

Unless you have a mental disability, there is no reason you should fail intro level courses (I promise I mean no disrespect with this statement). You may not be the next Madam Curie, and you may not make an A+, but with a lot of high quality studying and working a metric fuck ton of problems, you can do this. Take a light (12 -14 hr) course load when you take your next intro level science and math courses so you can get the basic concepts mastered. (The students in my nursing classes that failed to grasp the basic math and science concepts prior to nursing school failed out - and rightly so - you have lives in your hands. It pisses me off when people think all nurses do is follow orders and fluff pillows and wipe asses, we utilize science concepts and critical thinking, too. You have to learn the basics first!!!) After comprehending the basics, it will be a little easier because you are just expanding upon those basic concepts. Again, you can do this! Thumbsup

As a side note, if you like kids, elementary ed uses a lot of creativity and depending on the program, you may only have to take 3-4 classes each of basic math and science. If you think you'd like working with teens, why not be an English, Art, Music or history teacher? There are a lot of cool new schools out there with different learning approaches for students - learning through music and movement is a big deal in early childhood education. What about working in the music industry - my husband's uncle collaborates with a ton of artists in Nashville for pop, country and Christian contemporary music - there are a ton of fields, use your talent with composition and turn it into a job. My aunt-in-law is a librarian. My father-in-law is a pastoral counselor - he preaches on Sunday (obviously not for you as you are an atheist) and sees clients throughout the week - his PhD is in psychology, which COULD be an option, Art therapy is a field. What about social work? I'm not mentioning my side of the family because practically everyone is in engineering or the ministry - even my grandmother tested rocket fuel. I'm the "odd" one in the family by being a nurse - a decision I often regret.
My husband has a BA in criminal justice, and math and science are difficult for him. The only time he enjoyed being a police officer was while he was a detective in criminal investigations working crimes against children - he loved being able to make a difference in the lives of these kids. After spending time in CSI, he decided he wanted to be an elementary ed teacher working in inner city schools. He starts back to school next week. It will be a great opportunity for him to be a positive male role model, and he'll get to use his creative side.
Not everyone is cut out to be an engineer or scientist, and if you know this about yourself then find something that you CAN do well. Would my husband make more $$ as an engineer? Yes, but he probably couldn't pass the courses and would hate his job. Make a living doing something you have natural talent for and enjoy. While of course there are exceptions to the rule and some of those are here on TTA, most of the philosophy and art majors that I went to school with now wait tables, went back to school for other degrees, or are strung out on heroin or meth. You don't need a philosophy degree with school loans to wait tables or sell cars. There IS a degree for restaurant management, but I would want to work in a restaurant first. Just make sure you know how you are going to USE the degree you earn.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
04-08-2014, 04:12 PM
I picked philosophy, history, and music production as my first courses. I might also add anthropology but I don't know yet since I don't want to be overloaded. My English is above the required mark so I didn't need to take literature. I'll always be interested in science but I guess it's just not for me. I learn visually and in person, so math is just too hard for me to understand unless there's some new method of teaching it which I haven't heard of. I don't have any money so I can't afford tutors. I'm fine sticking with philosophy and history for now.
[+] 1 user Likes Cyvas's post