B & D only
E & D & Maybe F, but not C
[Show Results]

What Should Erxomai Do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2012, 12:45 PM
RE: What Should Erxomai Do?
What would you be getting your degree in? A marketable degree will also make managing any debt eaiser.

The Magoo idea may hold the key to your future Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
15-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Deal cocaine. That's what I did in college. Undecided

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
15-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Get a grant for atheists.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
15-11-2012, 01:25 PM
(15-11-2012 12:40 PM)Leela Wrote:  And how much do you earn? Just so I can play with the numbers a little? Can you stay at your stop while grad school or would you have to stop working? Are there evening courses? stuff stuff?

I haven't crunched the numbers too deeply, but off the top of my head, I would probably have somewhere in the vicinity of $400 a month that I could put toward tuition. But, I also have to take into account that I'm very undisciplined with money. So, if I get a bill for $400 a month, I can pay it, but I am not disciplined enough to save $400 a month in advance, so that's the flaw in Hamata K's good suggestion. Plus, I'm 47 and have spent enough time goofing off. The suggestion to wait is a valid one, but for me it feels too difficult to wait any longer than next Fall.
I hope to keep my current job, so there is a nights and weekends course that takes about 3 years and costs in the vicinity of $45,000 (total).
Or, if I could somehow do full time days, it's about $30,000 to do it in 2 years. But then I also need more money to make up for not working full time.
The degree would be a Master's of Social Work. The goal is to become a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW). The median salary in my area is about $53,000 a year, so I certainly would have the opportunity to pay off student loans. On the other hand, I'm looking at just over 20 years to retirement and I also need my new career to jump start my retirement planning.
I've looked into Online Courses. So far I'm unable to find any that would be accredited for licensing in the state of Washington. Besides, much of the latter part of the curriculum is to do clinical practicum, so I need something local for my licensing supervision.

Magoo might be my retirement fund.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
15-11-2012, 01:26 PM
(15-11-2012 12:47 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Deal cocaine. That's what I did in college. Undecided

I could open a Weed Store after December 6 when it becomes legal.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
15-11-2012, 01:47 PM
In many places, you can just hang out a shingle and call yourself a therapist or counselor.

You could be making a living while going to school.

Use the Magoo thing for weed and beer money.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-11-2012, 01:57 PM
(15-11-2012 01:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  In many places, you can just hang out a shingle and call yourself a therapist or counselor.

In the state of Washington, to do psychotherapy you have to be licensed with something like 3000-4000 hours of client contact under supervision that can be done during and after training.

~Izel
15-11-2012, 01:58 PM
(15-11-2012 01:57 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(15-11-2012 01:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  In many places, you can just hang out a shingle and call yourself a therapist or counselor.

In the state of Washington, to do psychotherapy you have to be licensed with something like 3000-4000 hours of client contact under supervision that can be done during and after training.

Bummer, man.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
15-11-2012, 02:02 PM
I would suggest taking a couple classes to see if you really are disciplined enough to do the school thing before making a big investment. I take two to thre classes per semester, that's about all I can do with working full time. This semester has been rough as the work load from school is heavy so my evenings that I am not in class and weekends are filled with class work.
But this is something I have always wanted to do and I am happy to finally be working toward a degree, even though it's only an AA for now.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
15-11-2012, 02:18 PM
look..... sounds to me like your about to waste that money... Tell ya what.. just mail me the money (no checks) and i'll put to good use... Smile

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post