B & D only
E & D & Maybe F, but not C
[Show Results]

What Should Erxomai Do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2012, 02:39 PM
RE: What Should Erxomai Do?
(15-11-2012 02:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I would suggest taking a couple classes to see if you really are disciplined enough to do the school thing before making a big investment. I take two to thre classes per semester, that's about all I can do with working full time. This semester has been rough as the work load from school is heavy so my evenings that I am not in class and weekends are filled with class work.
But this is something I have always wanted to do and I am happy to finally be working toward a degree, even though it's only an AA for now.

Thanks, Anj. That's a good suggestion.
I have in the past excelled in school, but it's been 17 years since I did my previous grad work. However, the learning will come very easy for me. I did all the coursework for a master's in counseling in 1993-95, but God didn't let me finish my thesis so I never was awarded the degree. Now my units are all over 17 years old and will not be accepted by any schools I know of. Also, much of the work after the 1st year is practicuum in a clinic run by the school or other intership possibilities, so I'm confident I can handle the actual schooling part.
Depending upon the program I get admitted to, I might have to do some prerequisite Stats or Research Methodology and although I've taken undergraduate stats and graduate research methods, it's been so long that that information is lost to me, if I ever grasped it to begin with. That might be something for me to take as a warm up class. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Sometimes there are no easy answers and we have to work hard doing the motions to get there.

In addition to socking away money for the next year (not matter how much or little), exercise your credit to improve it. Apply for loans and grants. Look broadly and not just government based. There may be certain grants or scholarships for mature students too, ask around.

Hold fundraisers and do 'extra' work that you can, turn hobbies into profit (dog walking, lawn mowing, etc). I have a friend who was doing lawn mowing to get through University and ended up loving it and turning it into a successful business of landscaping instead. You never know where on your journey of a goal you'll end up, but working hard opens up for opportunity.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
15-11-2012, 03:01 PM
I agree with Anjele too. I tried to go back to school after some 10 years and couldn't stand the idiot professors. It just wasn't worth putting in the time and the money. You may feel the same, or get lucky and get some good professors.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
15-11-2012, 03:05 PM
I think you should come up here to Canada and take some botany courses with me.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
15-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Have you ever tried being a Mechanical Turk?

I doubt it could fully meet you funding goals but it could be worth looking into for small side jobs. I've done it so I can attest that it is legit. Never actually made anything worth bragging about tho but the potential is there I think.

https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2012, 03:33 PM
(15-11-2012 03:05 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I think you should come up here to Canada and take some botany courses with me.
You know what? That's not a bad idea. I could either stay and help you expand your business, or I can come back here and get an operation running in the wide open newly legal market in Washington.
(15-11-2012 03:21 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  Have you ever tried being a Mechanical Turk?

I doubt it could fully meet you funding goals but it could be worth looking into for small side jobs. I've done it so I can attest that it is legit. Never actually made anything worth bragging about tho but the potential is there I think.

Thanks, Grassy. I've never heard of this before, but it looks really interesting. And I can always use a few extra ducats. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
15-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Rob a bank Sleepy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
15-11-2012, 05:43 PM
(15-11-2012 02:39 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(15-11-2012 02:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I would suggest taking a couple classes to see if you really are disciplined enough to do the school thing before making a big investment. I take two to thre classes per semester, that's about all I can do with working full time. This semester has been rough as the work load from school is heavy so my evenings that I am not in class and weekends are filled with class work.
But this is something I have always wanted to do and I am happy to finally be working toward a degree, even though it's only an AA for now.

Thanks, Anj. That's a good suggestion.
I have in the past excelled in school, but it's been 17 years since I did my previous grad work. However, the learning will come very easy for me. I did all the coursework for a master's in counseling in 1993-95, but God didn't let me finish my thesis so I never was awarded the degree. Now my units are all over 17 years old and will not be accepted by any schools I know of. Also, much of the work after the 1st year is practicuum in a clinic run by the school or other intership possibilities, so I'm confident I can handle the actual schooling part.
Depending upon the program I get admitted to, I might have to do some prerequisite Stats or Research Methodology and although I've taken undergraduate stats and graduate research methods, it's been so long that that information is lost to me, if I ever grasped it to begin with. That might be something for me to take as a warm up class. Smile
Don't forget your years of experience... don't shy away from expressing this to an advisor or anyone going over financial aid with you. Though you might think otherwise, you aren't such a risky investment.

Like Lady Jane said, check out local funds, grants. Maybe even try a kickstarter project on facebook. You know how to sell; sell YOU. If not kickstarter, just use it as a business model.

A kickstarter project with a time set goal of this time next year... and ask people only for a $10 donation and to spread the word... that should pay for a few hours. Remember: it's not about people you know... it's also about people those people know. If you get 10 people to give you $100 each, that's really nice. BUT... if you get 300 people to give you $10 each, that's fucking fantastic!! Most of your deadbeat friends can afford $10 and so can most of their deadbeat friends. I know this deadbeat friend can shoot you a ten spot. Wink

BTW - don't tell me you are above begging for $$ - you did it for SkyDaddy for enough years - now, just do it for you. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-11-2012, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2012 06:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
Your poll is missing "curl up into a fetal position in a corner like a pussy".

The ideal way to go to Grad School is what I did. Get a job with an employer who will pay for it and treat it as investment (hell, they not only paid for my tuition and books, they also paid my salary for doing my homework during working hours). This is pretty common in technical professions but not sure about others. Short of that, think both Anjele's and Stark's advice are both excellent. Do you have any experience with running a business? If not, both Angie and Stark could probably help you there as well.

(15-11-2012 03:33 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(15-11-2012 03:21 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  Have you ever tried being a Mechanical Turk?

Thanks, Grassy. I've never heard of this before, but it looks really interesting. And I can always use a few extra ducats. Big Grin

We've used Turkers at my work. It might be good for cigarette money but you won't even be able to make minimum wage at it. Of course, that's still more money than you make here. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-11-2012, 06:48 PM
You all are forgetting that Erx is a self-confessed lazy bum! All that shit takes moving off your ass Sleepy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post