E & D & Maybe F, but not C
[Show Results]

What Should Erxomai Do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2012, 10:59 AM
RE: What Should Erxomai Do?
In case no one has mentioned this yet:
Get your degree by research. A masters by research, or a PhD, would take 1-5 years (depending on if it's an MR or PhD). And they pay you to do it. You get all the perks of being a student, pay no taxes, make less than minumum wage, and get treated like everyone's butt monkey.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2012, 10:59 AM
(16-11-2012 10:46 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(15-11-2012 10:18 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  The Rainbow Motif is an homage to Mr. Woof. Smile

Kingsy inspired this question with his School Financial Aid thread.

Sometimes I have tunnel vision when looking at a problem, so I'm going public with this question to help me look outside the box.

The situation:
I'd like to go to Grad School in the Fall of 2013.

The dilemma:
How to pay for said Grad School tuition.

Compounding Factors:
I don't earn enough money to "pay as I go."
I don't want to end up with a massive mountain of debt when I graduate. (A small hill of debt would be okay).
I have poor credit and have spent the past 25+ years paying off undergraduate and seminary debt.

The Solution:
Well, that's where insight is appreciated from the outside. I'm stuck in the place where I don't think this can be done. Yet, it's been a recurring theme of desire since I was in high school, so I'm not willing to give up on the dream.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Jokes?
Two things!

Speak to a someone at a school you're interested in and see if they can point you to resources for financial help for older students/career changers!

Make the first move in our chess game...just sayin Drinking Beverage
Good idea, and oops! Sorry!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-11-2012, 11:03 AM
(16-11-2012 10:59 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  In case no one has mentioned this yet:
Get your degree by research. A masters by research, or a PhD, would take 1-5 years (depending on if it's an MR or PhD). And they pay you to do it. You get all the perks of being a student, pay no taxes, make less than minumum wage, and get treated like everyone's butt monkey.

I've thought about this. It's a brilliant idea.
I don't think any nearby universities offer a research counseling degree, and that's what I'm after, rather than research. When I worked on my master's in the 90's that's partly why I didn't finish my thesis. It was heavy on research and I just wanted to practice psychotherapy. That, and my thesis advisor started sleeping with my girlfriend, so that made things a bit awkward. Confused

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-11-2012, 11:04 AM
(16-11-2012 07:06 AM)SomeOne Wrote:  Start a religion, many people have become rich that way.... Maybe you'll earn so much you will forget why you started in the first place Tongue
I have thought about "re-converting." I could certainly make bank as a pastor turned atheist turned pastor again. Consider

~Izel
16-11-2012, 11:14 AM
(15-11-2012 09:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  What's the biggest driving force behind this desire, btw?
Besides the chicks and money for retirement? Consider

It's been an interest of mine for 30 years, but I got distracted by God and then after God was no longer a distraction, God no longer being a distraction became a distraction.

Before I found out I trend toward an INFP Personality type, I wanted to help people. I'm a good listener and genuinely concerned about the hurts of other people, even though I have difficulty addressing my own. Then I started finding out about personality types and I could relate to descriptions like these:
Quote:The INFP is a special, sensitive individual who needs a career which is more than a job. The INFP needs to feel that everything they do in their lives is in accordance with their strongly-felt value systems, and is moving them and/or others in a positive, growth-oriented direction. They are driven to do something meaningful and purposeful with their lives. The INFP will be happiest in careers which allow them to live their daily lives in accordance with their values, and which work towards the greater good of humanity.

For a lot of years, that got exercised in the form of ministry. I know that the majority of people here think pastors are charlatans, purposely taking advantage of their sheeple. Nothing could be further from the truth for the vast majority of ministers. And even if you don't want me to vouch for others, then nothing could be further from the truth for me. I genuinely wanted to help people through life's hardships. I genuinely thought God was the answer for the hurt we all feel. So I wanted to guide people into a healing relationship with God.

Now, I can cut out all the God crap and just be there for someone who is hurting and needs an unbiased ear to hear them and point out insights that they probably already know, they're just not seeing them through their walls of pain.

All that, and did I mention the chicks?

~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
16-11-2012, 11:27 AM
There's an option missing from the poll.

Booze.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
16-11-2012, 11:39 AM
(16-11-2012 11:27 AM)Vosur Wrote:  There's an option missing from the poll.

Booze.
That's the default position. Drinking Beverage

~Izel
16-11-2012, 12:04 PM
(16-11-2012 11:14 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(15-11-2012 09:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  What's the biggest driving force behind this desire, btw?

It's been an interest of mine for 30 years, but I got distracted by God and then after God was no longer a distraction, God no longer being a distraction became a distraction.

Before I found out I trend toward an INFP Personality type, I wanted to help people. I'm a good listener and genuinely concerned about the hurts of other people, even though I have difficulty addressing my own. Then I started finding out about personality types and I could relate to descriptions like these:
Quote:The INFP is a special, sensitive individual who needs a career which is more than a job. The INFP needs to feel that everything they do in their lives is in accordance with their strongly-felt value systems, and is moving them and/or others in a positive, growth-oriented direction. They are driven to do something meaningful and purposeful with their lives. The INFP will be happiest in careers which allow them to live their daily lives in accordance with their values, and which work towards the greater good of humanity.

For a lot of years, that got exercised in the form of ministry. I know that the majority of people here think pastors are charlatans, purposely taking advantage of their sheeple. Nothing could be further from the truth for the vast majority of ministers. And even if you don't want me to vouch for others, then nothing could be further from the truth for me. I genuinely wanted to help people through life's hardships. I genuinely thought God was the answer for the hurt we all feel. So I wanted to guide people into a healing relationship with God.

Now, I can cut out all the God crap and just be there for someone who is hurting and needs an unbiased ear to hear them and point out insights that they probably already know, they're just not seeing them through their walls of pain.

What about the Clergy Project Hardship Grant? Might be something to look into. Just by doing so, you might connect not only to money for education and a hell of a lot of job prospects but also, people who write books about the shit you've gone through. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
16-11-2012, 12:05 PM
(16-11-2012 11:14 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

So, in summary... chicks, money and problem-solving.

Blink

That's what I do!

What makes you think you need further education to do that?

Seriously.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-11-2012, 12:10 PM
(16-11-2012 12:04 PM)kim Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 11:14 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Besides the chicks and money for retirement? Consider

What about the Clergy Project Hardship Grant? Might be something to look into. Just by doing so, you might connect not only to money for education and a hell of a lot of job prospects but also, people who write books about the shit you've gone through. Wink
It's been a while since I looked at the CP Grant, but I had the impression that it's for clergy that are jobless because they left the ministry. I'm not jobless, just not working at something that's meaningful to me...and not getting paid a whole lot to do it.

~Izel