What.The.Fuck.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2015, 09:35 PM
RE: What.The.Fuck.
Actually they sound like any other gaggle of teenage girls I've ever heard.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2015, 09:37 PM
(30-09-2015 09:35 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Actually they sound like any other gaggle of teenage girls I've ever heard.

I would have classed that more as tween behavior. I guess speaking in tongues stunted their development.
30-09-2015, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2015 06:55 AM by yakherder.)
I remember once at my grandma's church as a kid hearing people have a conversation about speaking in tongues and how they hoped God would grant them the privilege. One day one of them went off on an unintelligible tangent, claiming it was tongues, and the others were all jealous. And they were in their 50s mostly, not kids. I was like 13, which was old enough to find the whole thing completely hysterical. We weren't even a very conservative church, it was pretty relaxed. The pastor never mentioned anything about tongues, either. It was regular church members all the way.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
01-10-2015, 06:49 AM
(30-09-2015 05:55 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS??!

It's called glossolalia. It's common in certain Protestant denominations. It typically involves peer pressure and/or people getting really worked up. They confuse the excitement with "direct communication with the Holy Spirit" and it feels super real to them. Of course, science has shown that the parts of the brain associated with language are not active during this, and they're just vocalizing gibberish. It is believed by (some) Christians to be the language of God, but no one has ever been able to glean any meaning from it (of course).
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
01-10-2015, 08:02 AM
(30-09-2015 05:55 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  As an ex-catholic without much exposure to other denominations...WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS??! It's like they're on LSD. I was almost crying with laughter but really it is sad. Then I had to go look up other stuff and I am at a loss for words as to how people can talk about this all matter-of-factly when they're just spouting fucking gibberish.

I am an ex-catholic too who also didn't get exposed to stuff like this, but it is not as if the catholic church doesn't have whacked out shit like exorcisms ...

01-10-2015, 08:14 AM
I once visited a church (I can't remember the denomination) where a large portion of the congregation was acting this way by the end of the sermon. It was quite a bizarre thing to observe Shocking

After the main event, the members I talked to claimed that they did not remember having spoken in tongues and they denied knowledge of the meaning of the sounds others were still making Consider

That was the first and only time I had ever seen such a thing first-hand; obviously, I never went back.
01-10-2015, 08:17 AM
(30-09-2015 06:09 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Morons, all.

oh I thought you said mormons
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
01-10-2015, 08:24 AM
(01-10-2015 08:02 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  I am an ex-catholic too who also didn't get exposed to stuff like this, but it is not as if the catholic church doesn't have whacked out shit like exorcisms ...

Yeah I'm familiar with exorcisms. The only thing scarier than that video is when my sister talks frankly about how effective they are. Facepalm

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
01-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Sounds more like those girls just found out that Justin Beiber cancelled a concert date in their town Dodgy

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
01-10-2015, 09:37 AM
What.The.Fuck.
We can therefore ascertain that the language of God mostly consists of the words "lalalala," "didididi," and "nanana."
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post