What We Believe.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2009, 06:37 AM

What We Believe.
hello,

I've just read this: "http://thethinkingatheist.com/what_we_believe.html" and I don't understand why religion divides people more than unites.

To be honest, I think if everyone is atheist all people's values are spread out. some think, that smoking should be allowed (for instance) while others think it should be illegal.

Religion gives a good guideline. Everyone listens to a priest and they all know what is right and wrong. They act if they see inconsistent behaviour because they get support from others when they point something out to someone else. (nowadays people don't act when someone gets robbed. people used to interfere with thieves etc. when everyone still believed. (though it might not be because of faith))

but at least, that's what I think.

but if you know/think why it divides more than unites, please explain! Smile
Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2009, 09:58 AM
RE: What We Believe.
My point is that religions are split into thousands of factions and micro-factions.

Even within protestant Christian circles, there's division and disagreement about basic theology. Freewill Baptists disagree with Southern Baptists, and both disagree with Pentecostals, who disagree with Methodists, Lutherans, Episcopalians, FourSquare, Assemblies of God, etc.

All of those denominations then pitch themselves against Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, Hare Krishnahs, Mormons, Scientologists and every other contradicting religion out there.

Drive down any major street and look at the church signs. The reason all religious people don't worship together is because they are segmented, separated, divided.

That's my point.

Seth Andrews
TTA Founder and Host
YouTube Facebook BlogTalkRadio
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2009, 11:26 AM

(15-07-2009 09:58 AM)Editor-TheThinkingAtheist Wrote:  My point is that religions are split into thousands of factions and micro-factions.

Even within protestant Christian circles, there's division and disagreement about basic theology. Freewill Baptists disagree with Southern Baptists, and both disagree with Pentecostals, who disagree with Methodists, Lutherans, Episcopalians, FourSquare, Assemblies of God, etc.

All of those denominations then pitch themselves against Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, Hare Krishnahs, Mormons, Scientologists and every other contradicting religion out there.

Drive down any major street and look at the church signs. The reason all religious people don't worship together is because they are segmented, separated, divided.

That's my point.

I agree with that, and also that during my travels around the country, I have seen some very strange churches with weird congregations. One called the "methodist church of the immaculate conception" and the snake-handler church. Religion divides the people, empowers them, and forces them to hate one another over very stupid reasons.
08-10-2009, 09:04 AM

There are many reasons why religion divides. Firstly, many have 'divine' books or writings that contradict each other. However, if they are divine then they must be true, right? So when the New Testament says that God has a son, and the Kuran says he hasn't, there is a conflict.

Secondly, heaven and hell is a human divisive construct to force people into one faith or another. It doesn't even make sense theologically. Would a righteous God really send good people to hell if they didn't believe in the right one? What kind of a sicko would he be?

Thirdly, if you believe without doubt that you are right - 'divine guidance etc' - then you are more likely to kill and die for that belief.

History clearly shows the terrible cost to believing in a God (Spanish/Roman Inquisitions, Medieval Crusades, Islamic Invasions, wars within the religions like Catholic v Protestants or Sunni v Shiites) and that when humans fabricate stories and call them the truth, there will always be divisions.
25-11-2009, 12:46 AM

Hello Friends.
I read your entire post well it is good thought I do not understand more but only do the work continue and follow the only rules like the do not expect more, know the more to other, do the work more as compare to other.
Thanks.
15-12-2009, 05:27 PM
(15-07-2009 06:37 AM)anonymous Wrote:  hello,

I've just read this: "http://thethinkingatheist.com/what_we_believe.html" and I don't understand why religion divides people more than unites.

To be honest, I think if everyone is atheist all people's values are spread out. some think, that smoking should be allowed (for instance) while others think it should be illegal.

Religion gives a good guideline. Everyone listens to a priest and they all know what is right and wrong. They act if they see inconsistent behaviour because they get support from others when they point something out to someone else. (nowadays people don't act when someone gets robbed. people used to interfere with thieves etc. when everyone still believed. (though it might not be because of faith))

but at least, that's what I think.

but if you know/think why it divides more than unites, please explain! Smile

Because all the divisions which atheists have are also present in believers. Therefore, all the religious believers are not only divided along secular lines, but along whatever lines their particular sect decides to draw, such as whether or not a crucifix is blasphemy and whether or not alcohol is acceptable.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2010, 09:49 PM

anonymous,

Since your original post, the following study was released showing a link between religion and racism:

http://uscnews.usc.edu/university/study_...cism.html#

One particular point to note is how all-white congregations very seldom have any black members, and vice versa.

To add to that, I have know a few family members who were regular church goers, but had less than favourable opinions about minorities (especially my Catholic brother-in-law).