What We Leave Behind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2015, 05:42 PM
What We Leave Behind
These days when I look out upon the world with what is happening in the news regarding ISIS, Islam, and other religious radical beliefs, a solemn realization hits home like no other time in the history of human kind.

We, as atheists, can see the horror and destruction that religion has brought, and continues to bring, upon the entire human race. We see the wars, we see the murders, we see the injustice, and we see the dying.

And we, as atheists, know the truth.

I am moved by compassion. I am motivated by a strong sense of moral obligation to look upon those whom I love and hold dearest to me with concern; concern that I may not be doing enough to ensure that those whom I influence will develop into outstanding human beings who will contribute to the betterment of the human race.

As my years march on, numbering my days, I grow more preoccupied with what I will leave behind when I make my grand exit from the only life I will ever have. I may never be known as someone great in the eyes of the world, and I have no problem with that at all. But in the eyes of my children, and then in the hearts of my children's children, I intend to exist as someone who made a difference in how they contribute to the world in a positive way.

It's not about wealth, or any materialistic things, but rather it's all about a world view. It's about a proper education. It's about a clear mind, uninhibited by fantasy.

Unlike religionists, we have no expectations of what we can get in some ethereal realm after death. Instead, our idea of the "next life" is the hope we see in the eyes of our children and grand children.

That is realistic. That is worthy. And that is honorable.

They are what we leave behind, so let us leave them in better condition than we, ourselves, were in when we entered this world.

So say we all?

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Free's post
11-02-2015, 05:57 PM
RE: What We Leave Behind
What do we leave behind????

Well......

It's been said -- "You can't fight City Hall"....

While true --

You can always take a shit on the steps......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
11-02-2015, 06:01 PM
I recently had a great talk with a friend who is a believer. When he made the statement on how I must be living for myself, I corrected him by saying that my main drive is to leave the world better than how I found it. I have everything to live for.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
11-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Someone very dear to me once noted in their signature ... "The value of life is the legacy we leave behind".

The small fly in the ointment is, of course, that nihilistically speaking, this legacy is utterly and ultimately irrelevant.

But this irrelevance is an is not an ought and the ought is probably something to which one should dedicate one's life.

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
11-02-2015, 07:42 PM
(11-02-2015 06:27 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Someone very dear to me once noted in their signature ... "The value of life is the legacy we leave behind".

The small fly in the ointment is, of course, that nihilistically speaking, this legacy is utterly and ultimately irrelevant.

But this irrelevance is an is not an ought and the ought is probably something to which one should dedicate one's life.

Consider

Agreed, because that which is, is a static of which we cannot change from its existential position. But the dynamic here exists as the ought, and by employing that dynamic we create relevance to the meaning of our meager existence.

Undecided

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
11-02-2015, 07:58 PM
"What You Leave Behind" was the final episode of Star Trek DS9.

No further comment.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
11-02-2015, 08:00 PM
(11-02-2015 07:58 PM)cjlr Wrote:  "What You Leave Behind" was the final episode of Star Trek DS9.

No further comment.

Yep, and that quote inspired my title, to be honest.

Thumbsup

11-02-2015, 08:06 PM
(11-02-2015 08:00 PM)Free Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 07:58 PM)cjlr Wrote:  "What You Leave Behind" was the final episode of Star Trek DS9.

No further comment.

Yep, and that quote inspired my title, to be honest.

Thumbsup

I knew you were a man of wealth and taste.

But no, despite my saying "no further comment", I would wholeheartedly agree that a true legacy stems not from the bequest of an accumulation of mere goods but from the lasting influence over the thoughts and lives of others.

I may yet do rather well by inheritances, but I'll view the memories of emotional connections as a far more valuable legacy.

Sorry; you've caught me in rather a mawkish mood.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
11-02-2015, 08:14 PM

No further comment.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
12-02-2015, 08:02 AM
"What do we leave behind?"

Plastic

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post