What Were You Like in High School?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2017, 03:52 PM
RE: What Were You Like in High School?
My high school years were my first years in Kansas City. I'd moved from Arkansas... and that was my nickname due to my accent! Dodgy

Them: Hey, Arkansas.

Me: Yoo shut yer mouf, or I'm own keel yoo.

Rolleyes Laugh out load

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like TheGulegon's post
20-10-2017, 05:17 PM
(20-10-2017 12:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-10-2017 12:00 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Fuck me I haven't thought of Stiff Little Fingers in yeeeeears. Thank fuck for youtube, I don't have any of there albums anymore lol I owe you one mate.

Ditto. Serious flashbacks with all of that post.
Except...
I was 13, it was a C of E school and it was a different kind of Debs (because my mother insisted I never bring home a Debra, therefore naturally, a Debs was followed by Deborah)

I was going to say that I saw STL supporting U2 but google disagrees.

Comsat Angels supported U2 (their 'October' tour, '81) and STL supported (and were better than) The Tom Robinson Band in '78.

Fights broke out at both.

Thumbsup

The SLF gig I went to instead of my debs was in 1980. The support band was a band from "Norn Iron" called Ruefrex. They have fond memories of the night in question. Read paragraph five. http://www.spitrecords.co.uk/ruefrex.htm
I knew a few of the lads from The Black Catholics and talked to them on the night. I had a birds eye view of the studded belt incident Tongue. Ah the good old days.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
20-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Horny. and stoned. and drunk. and tripping. horny, stoned, drunk and tripping.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-10-2017, 07:19 PM
(20-10-2017 05:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Horny. and stoned. and drunk. and tripping. horny, stoned, drunk and tripping.

Oh. I'm still like that. Confused
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
21-10-2017, 10:15 AM
I would say I was the exact same than now, except I'm older, have a beard and more white hair, and I'm probably more wise (well I hope...). I was a compromise between a grunge/metalhead and a geek : long hair, wearing metal t-shirts, looking somewhat unconcerned, spent half my free time playing guitar, the other half playing video games.
High school years were actually the best years in my life, especially the last 2 years ! during my senior year, all the people in my class were very cool and friendly, you could hang out with any of them and have a good time. All my happiest memories are from my high school time : my first grunge band, the sleepless nights playing LAN with my geeky friends, the feeling that I was happy to wake up every morning to see my friends.
[+] 3 users Like Sturm's post
21-10-2017, 02:36 PM
I was a studious academic for the first few years of High School, but sort of turned into a burn-out towards the end. I took school and other little things a bit too seriously in the beginning and would eventually get pulled under by the pressure-cooker like atmosphere of my environment. I took a lot of courses with the top 5% of my class; these people behaved like a fraternity of sorts, watching each other's back to prop up their GPA's and improve their college prospects, while assiduously bumping elbows for months to jockey for their own academic rankings.

Caught between social anxiety, extracurricular activities, work and family issues, I was too far gone to throw my lot in with the best and brightest. I spent most of my time hanging with band geeks and other middling types; the kind of people who would grow into your stereotypical adult millennials, who got smacked down by reality at a young age, ended up staying close to home and did their best to make things work despite the horrendous economic hand they'd been dealt.

I think it was the latter crowd that kept me mentally grounded towards the end. A lot of my friends tended to have personal and financial struggles that dwarfed my own, so I had a lot of opportunities to practice empathy and commiserate with the everymen at my school when I could have been spending more time scratching and clawing my way toward career superstardom, whether or not that was really attainable.

It’s really amazing looking back and reflecting on how much social and emotional development took place during those short four years. I like to think I’ve developed quite a bit since then, but honestly it seems like many of my personal values, interests and the types of people I run with have hardly changed.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
[+] 4 users Like Kaneda's post
21-10-2017, 08:45 PM
(21-10-2017 02:36 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  I was a studious academic for the first few years of High School, but sort of turned into a burn-out towards the end.

Me too. The Lutherans trained me K-9 and when I got to public High School, the Lutherans had already taught me all that PG County, MD had to offer at the time. I had to go to University of Maryland to take Calc classes while still in High School 'cause we didn't have it in High School back then. Didn't have to pay for it though, so that was cool.

Most valuable thing I learned in High School was that I could easily tolerate the LD-50 of various combinations of psychedelics, disassociatives, narcotics, barbituates, alcohol and various other inebriants. I consider it a valuable life skill and wouldn't trade it. Nobody's gonna roofie Girly.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Stoned.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 3 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
23-10-2017, 09:54 PM
(22-10-2017 06:33 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Stoned.

You got out of Saudi Arabia alive?? Gasp

23-10-2017, 10:41 PM
Lazy-er.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post