What Were You Like in High School?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2017, 10:49 PM
RE: What Were You Like in High School?
Younger.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
24-10-2017, 10:42 AM
I was really quiet and kept to myself. I really didn't fit in anywhere. Still don't really. I was a band geek but didn't really fit in there. I was a decent distance runner but didn't interact with anyone on the team but not for lack of trying. So I read a ton of stuff on philosophy and science to occupy myself. I ate lunch by myself most days as I only had a couple of buddies that I enjoyed being around but they had different lunch periods. As a result, I had the self esteem and self worth of a wet sponge. Childhood is overrated. I get laid now.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
24-10-2017, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2017 06:31 PM by Chas.)
I liked to try things and stayed with some.
Varsity soccer, ice hockey, track; band (percussion); class play; AP math, AP biology, National Honor Society.
I had a diverse group of friends from various cliques - nerds, jocks, band fags, artists, musicians, outcasts - a little of this, a little of that.
I was sociable and there were girlfriends (one at a time).

And of course I was insecure and wanted to fit in - I was a freakin' teenager.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
24-10-2017, 06:35 PM
As a Brit I've always been interested in knowing whether or not these U.S high school stereotypes we see in TV shows actually exist. It seems they kinda do? Tongue

I started as a boisterous primary school kid but within my first year was quickly knocked down a few pegs! by my 3rd year I'd made friends with most of the dick heads and became one myself. By the end, though, my fifth year, I ended up coming into my own where I was friends with all types of people, chavs, nerds, sports people etc.

An example of how much I changed is when I called a teacher a nonce in year 9 (our high schools go year 7, 8, 9 ,10 ,11. 9 is around 14 years old). Had to have a massive school board meeting with my parents and the police. These incidents happened about 3-4 times a week and ranged from being abusive to just being a total prick to everyone. Luckily my brother was a Rugby player with a massive potential and he used to convince some of the vice headteachers to be lenient. By year 11 I was loved by them! I used to have massive conversations with them for whole lessons. I went to join the army but couldn't because of an incident. My grades weren't good enough for sixth form (a kind of stepping stone between high school and university) but because they believed in me they came to my home and personally handed me a place!

So to answer the question, I went from a naive little fat boy with acne who caused trouble all day long to a likeable scar-faced know-it-all!

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 3 users Like SunnyD1's post
24-10-2017, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2017 08:38 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(24-10-2017 06:35 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  As a Brit I've always been interested in knowing whether or not these U.S high school stereotypes we see in TV shows actually exist. It seems they kinda do? Tongue

Since Americans are expected to be highly specialized professionally, their high school social alliances can be considered steps in their differentiation process.
24-10-2017, 10:16 PM
angsty TTA forum nerd
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
25-10-2017, 06:43 AM
Catholic high school sucked! I lived outside the city and was regarded by most of my fellow students as some sort of hick. I didn't belong to any of the numerous cliques and had only a couple of friends. My hobbies were Astronomy (I had built my first observatory by the time I was a senior) and Lepidoptera, for which I was roundly laughed at. I had none of the self-confidence and coolness of the other students. I always wanted to be like them, but everything that came out of my mouth was always wrong and I was a pathetic jerk. I was the only senior who refused to buy the school yearbook and I have never attended any of the high school reunions. Dodgy
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
25-10-2017, 08:58 AM
(25-10-2017 06:43 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  My hobbies were Astronomy (I had built my first observatory by the time I was a senior) and Lepidoptera, for which I was roundly laughed at.

I assume you mean "collecting Lepidoptera."

My older sister collected insect for 4-H, and was Indiana state champion several years in a row for her collection.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
25-10-2017, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2017 11:27 AM by outtathereligioncloset.)
I've said it before but I think it bears repeating. I don't want to make anyone here jealous, but I can still fit into my high school earrings.

Oh, and theatre woulda/coulda/shoulda given me a chance to fit in with the other misfits, but unfortunately the theatre teacher was a "plant" who was really an undercover cop there to try to bust kids for drugs. Not the debutante crowd, of course---they could do anything they wanted without recourse. Just those kids without families who had the resources to fight any charges. And oh, there were charges...

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
25-10-2017, 03:30 PM
Looking back, I realize how much I've changed ...

I was the most conforming, naive, little goody-two-shoes you could imagine.
(And I went to a Catholic girls school, so that's saying something.)

But I was also a raging feminist who wished she had been born a boy.

From a very young age I was DRIVEN to succeed in absolutely everything I tried. And I tried EVERYTHING.
Girl guides, arts classes, drama classes, public speaking, guitar, choir, swimming, gymnastics, leadership camps, you name it.
I felt HAD to win. At EVERYTHING.

I was always very competitive, especially academically, and anything under a 95/100 was unacceptable to me. (Obviously I hadn't worked hard enough.)
My father was often on strike, so I was stressed about getting a good job at quite a young age. I started researching potential professions very early.
By age 13, I was reading so much sci-fi that I had decided I wanted to be an aerospace engineer, which really didn't jive with what was being taught at my Catholic girls high school (they didn't even offer Physics). So that became my excuse to switch to a public school in Grade 11.

My family expected me to go to university, but I had no illusions that they could pay for it, so I decided that military college was my only option (no one bothered to explain what scholarships were or how I could have applied for them). Plus I would be guaranteed four years of work as an engineer when (if?) I graduated.

So to prepare for that, when I was 15, I joined the Royal Canadian Air Cadets (sort of junior ROTC but better). I made tons of geeky friends through cadets, started dating, got my glider pilot licence before my driver's licence. It really managed to put high school in perspective.

High school was just a means to an end. I joined the swim team to stay fit, but didn't attend prom. I did make it into military college and the only reason I attended homecoming was because I won the top academic award and the military paid for my flight back to accept it.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 3 users Like Reducetarian's post