What Would You Do If Yahweh Revealed Himself?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2013, 02:16 PM
RE: What Would You Do If Yahweh Revealed Himself?
Quote:I'd check into a mental institution.

Exactly. An appearance of God to a person is instantly filed away by the atheist as a likely hallucination, which is why I insist respectfully that forum members drop the canard of "When God appears to me personally, I will believe in Him." Belief in god should hinge on whether there is empirical, falsifiable evidence for god, right?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 02:36 PM
(09-09-2013 02:16 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:I'd check into a mental institution.

Exactly. An appearance of God to a person is instantly filed away by the atheist as a likely hallucination, which is why I insist respectfully that forum members drop the canard of "When God appears to me personally, I will believe in Him." Belief in god should hinge on whether there is empirical, falsifiable evidence for god, right?

Ahh strawman much? I believe the canard is if God were to appear to everyone at once. Say at the halftime of the Superbowl.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
09-09-2013, 02:38 PM
(09-09-2013 02:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(09-09-2013 02:16 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Exactly. An appearance of God to a person is instantly filed away by the atheist as a likely hallucination, which is why I insist respectfully that forum members drop the canard of "When God appears to me personally, I will believe in Him." Belief in god should hinge on whether there is empirical, falsifiable evidence for god, right?

Ahh strawman much? I believe the canard is if God were to appear to everyone at once. Say at the halftime of the Superbowl.

Personally, I'd adjust my LSD formula.Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
09-09-2013, 02:40 PM
(09-09-2013 02:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(09-09-2013 02:16 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Exactly. An appearance of God to a person is instantly filed away by the atheist as a likely hallucination, which is why I insist respectfully that forum members drop the canard of "When God appears to me personally, I will believe in Him." Belief in god should hinge on whether there is empirical, falsifiable evidence for god, right?

But think of the poor guy, Rev. Without strawmen, what does he have left?

OP:
(07-09-2013 06:50 PM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  What would you think and/or do if the being called Yahweh in the Old Testament revealed himself to humanity as a whole...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
09-09-2013, 02:46 PM

(09-09-2013 02:16 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Exactly. An appearance of God to a person is instantly filed away by the atheist as a likely hallucination, which is why I insist respectfully that forum members drop the canard of "When God appears to me personally, I will believe in Him."

Why? It's rational to think that. Nobody knows what God wants, if there is one. Every denomination, every religion has its own directions, based on 100th-hand hearsay, which contradict each other. So I say, if God wants something from me, let him appear to me and tell me what I should do and why. And I'll listen.

I couldn't dismiss his appearance as hallucination if he did something a hallucination couldn't. For instance, if he told me, go to this and this address and look into a garbage container next to it, you'll find a bag of cash in there; and I go there and really find it - that would be proof that it wasn't a hallucination. But it was a bad example. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2013, 02:35 PM
(09-09-2013 02:46 PM)Philosoraptor Wrote:  
(09-09-2013 02:16 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Exactly. An appearance of God to a person is instantly filed away by the atheist as a likely hallucination, which is why I insist respectfully that forum members drop the canard of "When God appears to me personally, I will believe in Him."

Why? It's rational to think that. Nobody knows what God wants, if there is one. Every denomination, every religion has its own directions, based on 100th-hand hearsay, which contradict each other. So I say, if God wants something from me, let him appear to me and tell me what I should do and why. And I'll listen.

I couldn't dismiss his appearance as hallucination if he did something a hallucination couldn't. For instance, if he told me, go to this and this address and look into a garbage container next to it, you'll find a bag of cash in there; and I go there and really find it - that would be proof that it wasn't a hallucination. But it was a bad example. Smile

I see. So, if god appears to you in the way you dictate, you would trust Him? Is that your claim?
16-09-2013, 02:39 PM

(16-09-2013 02:35 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I see. So, if god appears to you in the way you dictate, you would trust Him? Is that your claim?

Yes.
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2013, 02:44 PM
I have not and will not read all of this. I will answer the OP.

Spit in the fucking assholes face.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
16-09-2013, 09:23 PM
(16-09-2013 02:44 PM)JAH Wrote:  I have not and will not read all of this. I will answer the OP.

Glad I'm not the only one.

What I'd want to do? Sit down and have a lengthy conversation about how just because someone pisses you off, doesn't mean you should go and get all murdery and just talk to him and try and figure him out.

What I'd actually do?
Piss my pants and pray for forgiveness. Hopefully it's not too late to avoid hell.
16-09-2013, 09:59 PM
(16-09-2013 09:23 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  What I'd actually do?
Piss my pants and pray for forgiveness. Hopefully it's not too late to avoid hell.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, Yahweh was a genocidal maniac, but whenever you were dead and the ground had closed around you he was essentially done with you. It's not until the NT, Jesus, and the trinitarian godhead (a concept that would have gotten you stoned to death in front of Moses) do we see the advent of Hell. But that god, whatever it may or may not be, clearly is not the Yahweh Sabaoth of the OT.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]