Poll: Would you honor a pact to split lotto winnings if you won?
Yes, unlike you Muffs I have morals.
Huh? I can't hear you over the sound of my new Ferrari
milk?
[Show Results]

What a fucking dumbass...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2015, 06:50 AM
RE: What a fucking dumbass...
Ive never been stupendously rich, however I did have a job where I was canvass manager, covering most of the east midlands, for a national window company.

My basic wage was £500 a week (over a decade ago) and I soon learned that my branch manager had a scam going where we would employ "ghosts" who the company would pay and me, the manager and the sales manager would split between us.

Some weeks I would pay myself over £1000. Which was obviously a massive jump in wages for me at that time and at first I loved it. I quickly learned though that I was simply spending money on bullshit. Id buy more expensive clothing, pay for my friends when we went out, and just generally blow my money on tat simply because I had it and I could.

"A wise man appreciates the time on a cheap watch"

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
18-12-2015, 07:24 AM
The guy in the article sounds pretty cool...

If I ever were to win such a thing (I won't - don't play), I'd split it pretty quick. Make sure my parents were OK, send some to my bro, maybe a few others. I don't need the cash - got a decent job - but it'd be cool to have peace of mind that people that I care about would be OK.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-12-2015, 11:14 AM
(17-12-2015 03:09 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(17-12-2015 02:43 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Thanks for sharing.
A friend of mine owns a company that lays seamless floors. It is a material shipped in from Sweden or Denmark and it costs a ton of money since it is labor intensive and can have any design imbedded on it. It is mostly used for commercial applications like cruise ships, restaurants, salons, theaters etc.

One of his residential clients was Simon Cowell from the X-Factor/American Idol fame. He had his 8 car garage done with this material, charged him several hundred thousand dollars for it.

He tells me that if he charged less they wouldn’t use him. The idea is to have something very few other people can afford, in their minds if the rabble can afford it then what’s the point?

I'd bet any amount of money Laughat that when people come into a crap load of money it changes their brain chemistry. A lot of people turn into ass holes. I really admire Warren Buffett and wish there were more rich people like him. He lives in a pretty nice house but it's nothing like what he could live in. Here's Warren Buffett's house in Omaha. He's worth $39 Billion.

[Image: 48336321-Omaha-Nebraska-Driveway-Homes-B...t-CNBC.jpg]

Here's Donald Trump's house in Florida. He's worth 4 billion.

[Image: latestpix-linkcelebs.jpg]

Can you tell which one is the ass hole?!

Warren has lived in that house since 1959 I think.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
18-12-2015, 01:43 PM
(18-12-2015 06:50 AM)bemore Wrote:  My basic wage was £500 a week (over a decade ago) and I soon learned that my branch manager had a scam going where we would employ "ghosts" who the company would pay and me, the manager and the sales manager would split between us.
You are lucky you didn't get a criminal record for that. (assuming you didn't)

(18-12-2015 06:50 AM)bemore Wrote:  I quickly learned though that I was simply spending money on bullshit. Id buy more expensive clothing, pay for my friends when we went out, and just generally blow my money on tat simply because I had it and I could.
Sorry to pick on your example, but it seems to me that many people don't tend to have very good financial habbits. Often when a "poor" person wins lottery, a year later they are broke again. Even many sporting professionals that have earned millions, within a few small years after retirement they are broke.

When I went to school, I worked kiwifruit season, even taking a couple of weeks off school each year, and when I left school I had saved $10,000. I put that towards my tertiary education. Many other uni students around me maxed out their student loans and bought beer three times a week, bought cars, bought stuff.
I also had some fun but once a week rather than three times a week and payed for it myself rather than on loan. When I graduated I had a very small student debt, others had very large ones. I paid off my debt within a year. At my job, I saved and saved. Ended up owning a house free-hold with my girlfriend (who became my wife) before I was 30 years old.

All I can say to people is that good financial skills make life a lot easier. Pay off your debts, never buy hire purchase, never live off credit cards (if you are fortunate enough to be able to live without doing that). Certainly don't take out debt for luxioury items , like alcohol, flash stereo, computer games, holidays etc. Save for a house. Once you have a house free-hold, then you have no rent or morgage to pay. It makes life much, much easier.

If you have opportunity to save beyond that, then do it for your kids, they need education, they need house etc.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
18-12-2015, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2015 02:11 PM by skyking.)
I need to revisit the pact I do have. It was made before my marriage. I think that complicates things somewhat.
As for me, I don't need much. Even being a pilot, my dream plane costs around 2 mil.
Once all the needs are accounted for I'd be inclined to purchase large tracts of land, each might have a runway and an isolated getaway. All of which would be donated to nature conservancies on my demise.
18-12-2015, 03:06 PM
(18-12-2015 01:43 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(18-12-2015 06:50 AM)bemore Wrote:  My basic wage was £500 a week (over a decade ago) and I soon learned that my branch manager had a scam going where we would employ "ghosts" who the company would pay and me, the manager and the sales manager would split between us.

It was part of the reason why I eventually left. It seemed I had inherited the scam when I took on the role and whilst for a short time I was complicit with it, I wasn't happy about it, It was the most morally bankrupt place I have ever worked for.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
18-12-2015, 06:05 PM
(18-12-2015 01:43 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

(18-12-2015 06:50 AM)bemore Wrote:  I quickly learned though that I was simply spending money on bullshit. Id buy more expensive clothing, pay for my friends when we went out, and just generally blow my money on tat simply because I had it and I could.
Sorry to pick on your example, but it seems to me that many people don't tend to have very good financial habbits. Often when a "poor" person wins lottery, a year later they are broke again. Even many sporting professionals that have earned millions, within a few small years after retirement they are broke.

When I went to school, I worked kiwifruit season, even taking a couple of weeks off school each year, and when I left school I had saved $10,000. I put that towards my tertiary education. Many other uni students around me maxed out their student loans and bought beer three times a week, bought cars, bought stuff.
I also had some fun but once a week rather than three times a week and payed for it myself rather than on loan. When I graduated I had a very small student debt, others had very large ones. I paid off my debt within a year. At my job, I saved and saved. Ended up owning a house free-hold with my girlfriend (who became my wife) before I was 30 years old.

All I can say to people is that good financial skills make life a lot easier. Pay off your debts, never buy hire purchase, never live off credit cards (if you are fortunate enough to be able to live without doing that). Certainly don't take out debt for luxioury items , like alcohol, flash stereo, computer games, holidays etc. Save for a house. Once you have a house free-hold, then you have no rent or morgage to pay. It makes life much, much easier.

If you have opportunity to save beyond that, then do it for your kids, they need education, they need house etc.

"I've done a bit of smugglin', I've run my share of grass
I made enough money to buy Miami, but I pissed it away so fast
Never meant to last, never meant to last"

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
18-12-2015, 06:25 PM
(18-12-2015 11:14 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(17-12-2015 03:09 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'd bet any amount of money Laughat that when people come into a crap load of money it changes their brain chemistry. A lot of people turn into ass holes. I really admire Warren Buffett and wish there were more rich people like him. He lives in a pretty nice house but it's nothing like what he could live in. Here's Warren Buffett's house in Omaha. He's worth $39 Billion.

[Image: 48336321-Omaha-Nebraska-Driveway-Homes-B...t-CNBC.jpg]

Here's Donald Trump's house in Florida. He's worth 4 billion.

[Image: latestpix-linkcelebs.jpg]

Can you tell which one is the ass hole?!

Warren has lived in that house since 1959 I think.

I believe you're right. Considering what this man is worth the house is very humble. I don't think his car is anything special either. It's nice but it's not a Rolls Royce or limousine. I really like Warren Buffet. He's good people. He's tried get congress to raise taxes on the wealthy but the assholes voted it down.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post