What about Atheist country?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2012, 10:08 AM
RE: What about Atheist country?
(19-10-2012 02:40 AM)rozbif Wrote:  I don't want to expand the question by adding the large sub text, i only want to know what is the first thought that came to mind when when you read the question "What about Atheist country?"
Just few of your thoughts, what did that question made you think about and what do you think how would atheist be with something like an "Atheist Vatican"?
You got a long way to go. Too bad you cannot generate that "large subtext" you believe to be.

You might get a better understanding of it if you thought about it in terms of an atheist state, as compared to secular states, and parochial states.

Secular states are what we endure currently - there are no religious tests for officials, and policy should not inhibit religious organization.

All atheists have to do is write state constitutions that forbid "religious" officials and policy references, and insist on scientific derivation of policy.

And of course, those stupid fucking Christians, Jews, and rag heads, would require "religious" officials, and policy references.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2012, 11:20 AM
My first thought was in line with DLJ.....not a fan of country music, whether it's religous or not.

Then I read the thread.

My second thought was......who invited Trainwreck??

.......(sorry TW, but you knew I hadda go there)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
19-10-2012, 11:31 AM
(19-10-2012 05:27 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think, what will take religions' place?

Political organization - organizations determined to progress the community, and larger society, by exercising the logical constructs that they believe to be for the betterment of the community.

Social control of the people.

Not much differnt then religions, only there is no ambiguous metaphorical figure representing the logical constructs of the organization, but rather, better defined abstract values.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
[+] 2 users Like TrainWreck's post
19-10-2012, 11:58 AM
I think that is not a place I would ever want to live. Anywhere that has a state religion (or state non-religion) is a place of tyranny and oppression. I am convinced that humanity will not ever loose it's desire for religion. I hope I am wrong.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
19-10-2012, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2012 03:44 PM by Aseptic Skeptic.)
When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know, the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how holy the motives.
- Robert A. Heinlein

So any country that has, as policy, Atheism, is essentially doing just what Heinlein described: forbidding religion to be read, seen, or known. I tend to agree with his prognostication.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 6 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
19-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Let me expand on this.

Lets say we get few thousand atheists together and we found a state (something like an island state of Nauru),
what do you think how would that state develop and how do you think that state should be shaped (politically, socially, economically and etc...) ?

Also regarding the post above, we don't need to forbid religion books or discussions on the subject: actually i would encourage the reading of religious books as a "school reading" in an appropriate grade.
When a christians teach about christianity they do it from a christian perspective, and when muslims teach about Islam they do it from a muslim perspective and we could teach about all religions from a atheist perspective.

First you don't exist, then you do exist and then you don' exist. The end!
19-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Actually, I too have been pondering on this since watching some Dawkins or Hitchens debate or interview where the tired old Pol Pot / Stalin comment came out. The reply was that there has never been a truly atheist state based on the ideas of Lucretius, Spinoza etc.

I think that Singapore might be a close example. It is secular here and kinda democratic. Religion is tolerated and even encouraged via public holidays. But in truth it's a benign dictatorship and run as a business.

When I'm rich enough, I'm going to buy one of the Philippine islands and set up an orphanage and raise them as atheists. I'm currently pondering how the financial system would work to encourage fairness, productivity, accountability and transparency.

It's about getting the right balance between performance and conformance.

To help me I will recruit all the single mothers I know.

I will have an army of child-slaves and all the action I can cope with.

20-10-2012, 12:15 AM
My first thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8gAtTxWhUY

And besides that, I thought this sentence doesn't sound right in my head.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
20-10-2012, 12:26 AM
(20-10-2012 12:15 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  My first thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8gAtTxWhUY

And besides that, I thought this sentence doesn't sound right in my head.

Consider Avalon

21-10-2012, 02:08 AM
I know that there are some country's/states/republics that are considered an Atheist states, but those are not a wiling atheist states yet atheism has bean forced on them by a hand full of people for many different reasons.

In case of North Korea atheism has bean "implemented" not because atheism it self but because that country is ruled by a fist full of people and allowing a religion where there is a God would mean that they them self would have to bow to the higher authority, and the priests would represent a moral authority where their words would carry a weight and my be in conflict with the messages from the supreme leader.

Let me rephrase the question:

What about an atheist state, lets say that thousand Atheists come together and they decide to start/found a country/state
country it self would be something like "Island state of Nauru" somewhere remote where you would be able to set up and evolve your society without any interference where you would be able to shape its constitution, laws and policy's.

Would bunch of willing Atheist be able to build a better country and society, and in your opinion would that kind of country have a future?

(keep in mind that there were no willingly founded atheist country's, only those where atheism has bean forced on the population for the same or similar reason that i tried to explained in case of North Korea)

(this is hypothetical question, so don't ask where or how)