What about the Devil?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2016, 11:45 AM
What about the Devil?
I've brought this topic up a couple of times with friends. Only to get scoffs or off topic answers. I present to them what I hope to be thought prevoicing questions, that usally pertain to the arch nemisis of their god.

[Image: d62e5fa849f06b3ba1d0e86caa72e4c2.jpg]

So the devil is the worst of the worst. A constant thorn in God's side. Sent him to the furthest reaches of the supernatural world and called it hell. But somehow can still get to earth to cause problems for god's creations. He can posses people, fuel sins, and make teenagers kill cats in grave yards.

So is Satan able to deceive or outsmart god? Does that make him smarter then an omniscient being?
Is Satan more powerful then god? God couldn't destroy him after all. All he could do was banish him. This would put a limet of gods powers wouldn't it? He has little problems killing his most loved creations (humans) but the devil gets a slide.

Did god lack the foresight that Lucifer would reject him at some point?
Or maybe he did know the problems that he would do, and just thought it would be funny, or fun to let him get away with it.

I've been even been told that god put Satan in heal because he need someone to punish the wicked souls.
So that would Satan a lackey, just following orders. Caring out a job God doesn't have the stomach for.

If Satan was such an opposite of god and can posses people and the like. Wouldn't we see more of him really going to town. Passing out the information that god wouldn't want us to know. Like how to grow knowledge trees. Or if people were total assholes to gods teams would he reward them. Not torture them for all iirtnaty? "Hey good job, i hate that guy."

When god wants to send a message he dose this.
[Image: enhanced-buzz-30592-1364579213-17.jpg]

When the devil dose. He dose stuff like this.
[Image: tumblr_nihf0heMhQ1rp0vkjo1_500.gif]

I think the second one sends a much clearer message. Little left open for interpretation.

I've also been told. That god is going to get around to it. Destroying the devil and hell. Eventually.

EVENTUALLY? What's holding him back?

"Well he dosn't want to take away freewill."

Satan is aware of his existence and he still gets to deny obedience to god. Why don't we get the same courtesy? Instead we have to listen to people interpretations of him. People that claim to know his thoughts, feelings and desires.

The mind set of most believers is Good is Good, and bad is bad. But if good dose a bad action is that then bad, or is the bad action good because good did the action. If that's so, then the devil must be good because God only dose good things. He runs on his own set of rules. And the devil has seemed to find a way around them.

All in all the whole thing is bullshit. The self contrody cannon has created a ridiculous battle over people's "souls". Should the Devil be real he too would be a god. Most Xtians will deny they have a polytheistic religion. (Father, Son, Holy Spirit = 1 god) But then the Devil would have to be included since he would have the same power set if not stronger then the god they claim.

So what's the goal of this thought experiment. I used to say it because I wanted them to get flustered and leave me alone. But know I say it because I want people really think about the idea that they've created or this unseen battle between good and evil. How ridiculous this idea is. because if these concepts were real who gets the blame. The attack dog trained for pit fitting, or the master that let it off its leash?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Commonsensei's post
12-08-2016, 11:54 AM
RE: What about the Devil?
I think- and I'm no expert here- that God is supposed to be able to squash Satan anytime he wants...that Satan exists because without any bad days, you wouldn't appreciate the good, I guess.
Further, if there was no temptation to sin, everybody would just wait around here being sweet to each other, die, and go to heaven...nobody would have to make the CHOICE to be sweet to each other, which is, I believe, sort of the point of the whole thing.

In reality, Satan is the scaaaary monster the church created to make you show up on Sunday and put money in the collection plate. Evil_monsterEvil_monsterEvil_monsterSadcryfaceEvil_monsterEvil_monsterEvil_monster
[+] 3 users Like The Dark One's post
12-08-2016, 12:06 PM
I always thought Lucifer was an innocent bystander to the dastardly deeds committed by God and he reacted negatively and God was like "What did you say bitch? Did I ask your opinion!? No I didn't." and he looks around at the other angels like "Does anyone else have any questions!? No? Good!"

Apparently some of the other angels did have questions because when Lucifer was banished he got to take along some other "fallen" angels with him and they became demons.

This whole discussion reminds me of those fucking Xians who say Satan wants you to be happy so you don't turn to God for help, so that means you could live your whole life being a sinner but not hurting anyone like being an atheist or being gay or something and since you are so happy you never think to question it, but really Satan's got you all confused...but you're happy...does God want you to be miserable? Then happy in Heaven? When he wants you to be because it has to be on his terms so you can just suffer forever because you were happy on Earth and by the way he loves you, he loves you very very much....now get on your knees!

Who wouldn't question that contradictory psycho bullshit?

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
12-08-2016, 12:57 PM
I always find the different interpretations of the devil in movies and TV to be interesting. The one in Constantine was an asshole. I liked him.

[Image: 4eec9b610356ef1f10bb40f72f772e21.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
12-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Christianity's "devil" is just a re-branding of the Greek god Pan -- who was by all accounts a party kinda guy- that the locals really liked.....

So the Jebus crew put him in charge a really nasty prison kinda place and gave him a pitchfork instead of a pan flute --- and made him stink of fire and brimstone instead of wine, sex and goat..................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
12-08-2016, 01:12 PM
(12-08-2016 12:06 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  This whole discussion reminds me of those fucking Xians who say Satan wants you to be happy so you don't turn to God for help, so that means you could live your whole life being a sinner but not hurting anyone like being an atheist or being gay or something and since you are so happy you never think to question it, but really Satan's got you all confused...but you're happy...does God want you to be miserable? Then happy in Heaven?

Been watching God's Not Dead? That's basically the speech Dean Cain gets from his dementia-ed mother in a moment of lucidity, when he asks her why any loving God would reward him now and make her, a devout believer, suffer.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
12-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Hi,

Good thread. Smile

This would have had me watching the Exorcist again if we hadn't just watched it again, again. Maybe Evil Dead 2 will fill the bill, or Omen trilogy. Evil_monster

I love the bit in Exorcist where the young priest/counsellor tries to tell Max Von Siddow about the multiple personalities in Regan. Siddow says "There is only one."

It's like the old guy plumber who comes to fix your plumbing and goes straight to the faulty ballcock, no messing. Cool

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
12-08-2016, 01:44 PM
All i know of him is

Hes apparently a man of wealth and taste

And he also likes to show up in Georgia a challenge people to fiddling contests

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like OrdoSkeptica's post
12-08-2016, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2016 02:18 PM by cactus.)
Isn't the character known as "The Devil" a Christian invention? Jews never established such a concept in their canon, did they?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
12-08-2016, 02:40 PM
(12-08-2016 02:15 PM)cactus Wrote:  Isn't the character known as "The Devil" a Christian invention? Jews never established such a concept in their canon, did they?

The Devil, as characterized by Christians did not come from Judaism. Our concept of Satan is an angel acting entirely under the authority of G-d.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post