What an idiotic headline...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2014, 12:29 PM
What an idiotic headline...
"Common New England Spider May Be Venomous"

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/common-england-spi...09120.html

May be venomous? May be? WTF? Of course it's venomous. ALL spiders are venomous. It just so happens that most spider's venom isn't dangerous to humans or their fangs aren't long enough to penetrate the skin.

Stupid headline writers need to learn some science.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like kingschosen's post
03-11-2014, 12:34 PM
RE: What an idiotic headline...
(03-11-2014 12:29 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  "Common New England Spider May Be Venomous"

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/common-england-spi...09120.html

May be venomous? May be? WTF? Of course it's venomous. ALL spiders are venomous. It just so happens that most spider's venom isn't dangerous to humans or their fangs aren't long enough to penetrate the skin.

Stupid headline writers need to learn some science.

You probably still eat them though! Crazy cajuns. Tongue

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
03-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Hmm ... just wondering ... Consider are crabs venomous? I mean, crabs are big spiders soooo.... ? Interesting trivia question... anyone got this?

I'm not looking it up - I'm on my phone. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
03-11-2014, 12:50 PM
(03-11-2014 12:45 PM)kim Wrote:  Hmm ... just wondering ... Consider are crabs venomous? I mean, crabs are big spiders soooo.... ? Interesting trivia question... anyone got this?

Actually KC is wrong not all spiders are venomous and Crabs are closely related to spiders but not actually spiders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uloboridae

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
03-11-2014, 01:11 PM
So... crabs... not venomous?

My phone won't open the link so I'm gonna whine like a ninny until I get a direct answer. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
03-11-2014, 01:19 PM
(03-11-2014 01:11 PM)kim Wrote:  So... crabs... not venomous?

My phone won't open the link so I'm gonna whine like a ninny until I get a direct answer. Drinking Beverage

I don't know of any crab species that are venomous.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
03-11-2014, 01:42 PM
(03-11-2014 01:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 01:11 PM)kim Wrote:  So... crabs... not venomous?

I don't know of any crab species that are venomous.

Ok. So, we feast on creatures who can hardly defend themselves against us. Awesome.

We are so human. Drinking Beverage

03-11-2014, 01:58 PM
(03-11-2014 01:42 PM)kim Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 01:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I don't know of any crab species that are venomous.

Ok. So, we feast on creatures who can hardly defend themselves against us. Awesome.

To be fair they are scavengers. Plus compared to what other animals do to them...

03-11-2014, 02:07 PM
(03-11-2014 01:42 PM)kim Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 01:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I don't know of any crab species that are venomous.

they are so tasty thoughBig Grin
But really, that's how it is, we are way on top of the food chain when you can develop weapons and nets and things. If we didn't have that stuff, I think lions would be tops. There was this one instance in India where they were building rails and two Lioness ate loads of workers. Why they had a taste for human meat? Turns out they had a sensitive tooth and man flesh wasn't as tough as other game.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
03-11-2014, 03:06 PM
(03-11-2014 12:45 PM)kim Wrote:  Hmm ... just wondering ... Consider are crabs venomous? I mean, crabs are big spiders soooo.... ? Interesting trivia question... anyone got this?

Some crabs are really small..