"What answers? Pray."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2016, 05:16 PM
"What answers? Pray."
So I've been hearing this a lot lately.

"If you want to know Jesus, all you must do is pray."

I know it's nothing new but I just wanted to get some thoughts out on it.

For starters When someone's says or tells me this. Two things pop in my head.
1. Do you not think I haven't before or tried?
2. What sort of "visions" do you get when you pray?

Because what ever it's supposedly suppose to do it. Never happened for me. 29 years of praying everyday, for something to happen. Some sort of grand event! Some sort of sign and NOTHING!

"Well maybe he gave you signs and you just didn't know how to read them."

And this is my fault? I'm supposed to figure out binary code in order to get these messages? Most of the time I forced myself to believe something was happening to calm myself to put my mind at ease. To make myself think I wasn't talking to myself. In my finel years as an agnostic theist. I turned to some of the suto sciences for answers. Thinking that someone a god would communicate to me threw them.

I picked up the I ching. A book that supposedly gave you the answers to lives most profound questions. This idea that the book could do this eventually faded after I asked the same question 4 different times and got 4 different answers. The book has broad vague quotes that leave the interpreter to do the busy work.

I looked into Bible Coded. Only to find I could do the same thing with Moby dick. or the God Delusion and come up with the same results.

Tarot Cards where the last stop for me. A friends mother did a reading for me. A really great person., just think's she's Psychic. She doesn't harm anyone with it, and only dose it if asked. So no harm for foul. Much like the I Ching she gave broad terms. Plus I've been friends with her son for over decade now. So i'm sure she picked up one or two things about me along the way. But at the time i'm was pretty convinced she was. And i tried learning more about them. Only to become more discouraged the more it didn't work for me.

The mind plays games with us. It doesn't like not knowing. And will fill the pot hole of logic with any crap you have laying around.

So saying if you just accept Jesus, is like throwing loose gravel into a hole that need to be repaved. Take care of things for a short time, until the gravel starts falling apart.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
08-11-2016, 05:38 PM
RE: "What answers? Pray."
If you keep telling yourself you're a purple 3 legged ferret long enough -- you'll eventually believe it......

It still won't allow you to lick your balls..................

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-11-2016, 05:43 PM
(08-11-2016 05:16 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  So I've been hearing this a lot lately.

Because what ever it's supposedly suppose to do it. Never happened for me. 29 years of praying everyday, for something to happen. Some sort of grand event! Some sort of sign and NOTHING!

And this is my fault? I'm supposed to figure out binary code in order to get these messages? Most of the time I forced myself to believe something was happening to calm myself to put my mind at ease. To make myself think I wasn't talking to myself. In my finel years as an agnostic theist. I turned to some of the suto sciences for answers. Thinking that someone a god would communicate to me threw them.

I picked up the I ching. A book that supposedly gave you the answers to lives most profound questions. This idea that the book could do this eventually faded after I asked the same question 4 different times and got 4 different answers. The book has broad vague quotes that leave the interpreter to do the busy work.

I looked into Bible Coded. Only to find I could do the same thing with Moby dick. or the God Delusion and come up with the same results.

Tarot Cards where the last stop for me. A friends mother did a reading for me. A really great person., just think's she's Psychic. She doesn't harm anyone with it, and only dose it if asked. So no harm for foul. Much like the I Ching she gave broad terms. Plus I've been friends with her son for over decade now. So i'm sure she picked up one or two things about me along the way. But at the time i'm was pretty convinced she was. And i tried learning more about them. Only to become more discouraged the more it didn't work for me.

The mind plays games with us. It doesn't like not knowing. And will fill the pot hole of logic with any crap you have laying around.

So saying if you just accept Jesus, is like throwing loose gravel into a hole that need to be repaved. Take care of things for a short time, until the gravel starts falling apart.

Well, you definitely tried harder than I did. I think I prayed a few times when I was younger, since I assumed it was a good thing because my elders told me so. That's about it. Didn't see or feel shit.
08-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Actually, I did feel pretty silly.
08-11-2016, 06:36 PM
I used to pray a lot as a Christian. If things worked out--God is awesome!! If things went in the shitter--Well, God must have another plan for me and thought it better that xyz did not workj in my favor. Mysterious ways. All part of God's plan. Yadda yadda yadda. Hobo
08-11-2016, 09:32 PM
If someone is able to convince themself that God exists, then it's no surprise that they can also convince themself that they are receiving "signs" of some sort.
It's... quite sad, come to think of it... o.o
[+] 4 users Like AnaBunny's post
09-11-2016, 05:48 AM
Praying has been scientifically disproved to have any substantive positive effects. In fact it would seem to be a negative.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
09-11-2016, 05:51 AM
(09-11-2016 05:48 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Praying has been scientifically disproved to have any substantive positive effects. In fact it would seem to be a negative.

True -- if you're wasting your time sitting around wishing for stuff, instead of actually DOING something about it -- you're not likely to get any good results..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-11-2016, 07:56 AM
(08-11-2016 05:16 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  So I've been hearing this a lot lately.

Yep, I prayed for god to heal me of scoliosis when I was a teenager, I didn't get an answer and went through a surgery as a result. When I went back to church after this surgery and someone encouraged me to thank god, I asked - for what?

They replied that I got through the surgery ok, so I should thank god. I realized at that point that was how prayer actually works, you interpret anything that happens as an answer, regardless of whether you actually prayed for it or not.

All of a sudden, miracles start occurring everywhere around you when you "open your eyes" and start the process of post-hoc rationalization, or "looking through the eyes of faith".

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-11-2016, 09:46 AM
I remember watching this show, I want to say Brain Games. But I don't believe it was. It had a psycologist talking about the false perception.

She recalled a day soon after her father died, when she was sitting thinking about him. She was thinking about how much she missed him and wished he was there. When she did she heared wind-chimes out that her father built ring. She took this as a sign. (at the time) She new that the wind hit those chimes all the time. They did just what they where built to do. A slight breeze would come threw and make the noises. But for the moment she thought it was her father telling her that he as okay.

She thought to her self why out of the millions of times that those chimes rang. Why was it that one moment that I thought it was my father? Because she was grief stricken, and she wanted to put her mind at ease. What if she was thinking about her son, and the they chimed? He son was still alive, would she have thought there was a connection? Or would it have just become background noise?

It's a self coping mechanism. It's a lie that we tell ourselves.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post