What are all the variations of Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2014, 11:39 PM
What are all the variations of Christianity?
Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist... what are the others? I'll look them up on my own and find the differences. Thanks!

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2014, 01:40 AM
RE: What are all the variations of Christianity?
(27-07-2014 11:39 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist... what are the others? I'll look them up on my own and find the differences. Thanks!

You can start at Wikipedia's List of Christian Denominations. Note that many of these denominations have sub-denominations, sub-sub-denominations, et cetera.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
28-07-2014, 03:12 AM
You might or might not include Mormons on your list. Up to you.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
28-07-2014, 07:24 AM
(28-07-2014 03:12 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  You might or might not include Mormons on your list. Up to you.

Personally, I would. Mormons consider themselves Christian, which seems like a good enough litmus test to me. Sure, you can say their teachings are based on some stuff other than the Bible, but the Easter Orthodox, Roman Catholic, and Protestant groups all have differences in their Bibles. While each of them will consider the others to be No True Christians, it really has no bearing when collecting a list of the different Christian sects.
28-07-2014, 09:39 AM
I agree completely.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
28-07-2014, 09:52 AM
(28-07-2014 07:24 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Personally, I would. Mormons consider themselves Christian, which seems like a good enough litmus test to me. Sure, you can say their teachings are based on some stuff other than the Bible, but the Easter Orthodox, Roman Catholic, and Protestant groups all have differences in their Bibles. While each of them will consider the others to be No True Christians, it really has no bearing when collecting a list of the different Christian sects.

Considering much of the Book of Mormon is plagiarized in some way or another from the Bible (with local myths and those adapted from pirate/treasure hunting stories thrown in for flavor on top of Joe's particular brand of bullshit), I don't think it is too far a stretch to call them Christian, either. They still teach from the Bible quite a lot, as well.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
29-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Cool! Thanks Reltik. That's a long list! I guess I'm not too surprised that it is though. I'm trying to gain a general understand of all of the different denominations, so when someone talks about a certain type, I generally know what they're talking about. I'll have to research the different denominations on that list. Thanks again I appreciate it.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
29-07-2014, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2014 04:30 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
(28-07-2014 03:12 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  You might or might not include Mormons on your list. Up to you.

The next podcast on my playlist is about Mormons. Looking forward to it. Some of the other podcasts were great. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKGj9sSV...&index=109

I watched the Jehovah Witness one. It's sad. They're indoctrinated and there lives revolve around their religion (no shocker there). So everyone they meet is through the church because JWs are control freaks. Then when they don't want to believe anymore, they end up losing all their friends and family because JWs are not allowed to associate with ex-JWs.

29-07-2014, 05:10 PM
I do not know for certain, only that there are over 30,000 sects of Christianity. If a Sect is a variation. Then there is over 30k of them.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
29-07-2014, 07:15 PM
(27-07-2014 11:39 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist... what are the others? I'll look them up on my own and find the differences. Thanks!

I'm a Christian and I'm going to help you. (Yes I realize you have nefarious ends, but I
working a principal called "paradoxical intention").

My best advise to you. Don't worry about the # of denominations etc.

If you really want to debate Christians effectively you need to get a handle on the basic theological systems utilized by the various groups. Basically you can boil down the basics of what people believe into a few basic theoretical type systems, in much the same way you can do for another field like psychology, economics etc.

Or if you want another analogy you might think of it as learning a particular programming language family. i.e. Unix, C, Basic etc.

But that being said.. there are three meta Operating systems.
1) Sola Scriptura for Protestants

2) Magisterium for Catholics

3) Holy Tradition for Orthodox and other eastern Christians like myself.

If you want "the most bang for your buck" then really focus on learning the Bible and various Sola Scriptura approaches. Since mathematically speaking that is probably who you are going to run into the most, unless of course you live in an unusually Catholic rich area.