What are "feelings" and "emotion"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2014, 06:05 AM
What are "feelings" and "emotion"?
Hi.
I'm interested in you opinions regarding "feelings" and "emotion". What are they and why do we experience them? What makes someone jump with fear, or embrace with love, or strike with hatred?

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2014, 06:13 AM
RE: What are "feelings" and "emotion"?
Technically speaking, feelings and emotions is just the terms we used to define and refer to some expressions people show with body language (or speaking). It all comes down to brain chemistry, even love. This doesn't demean the intrinsic value in love. Even if it's explicable by simply checking chemistry, it doesn't make it less valuable.

For example, Serotonin is a neurotransmitter. It's sometimes called the "happiness hormone" and you have some of it in your body. Chocolate contains some of it too, so consuming chocolate can help improving your mood.

But I'm not sure this is what you were looking for. Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 4 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
31-10-2014, 06:26 AM
(31-10-2014 06:13 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Technically speaking, feelings and emotions is just the terms we used to define and refer to some expressions people show with body language (or speaking). It all comes down to brain chemistry, even love. This doesn't demean the intrinsic value in love. Even if it's explicable by simply checking chemistry, it doesn't make it less valuable.

For example, Serotonin is a neurotransmitter. It's sometimes called the "happiness hormone" and you have some of it in your body. Chocolate contains some of it too, so consuming chocolate can help improving your mood.

This is what they are.

Evolution is the answer to the question "Why?"

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
31-10-2014, 06:28 AM
(31-10-2014 06:13 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Technically speaking, feelings and emotions is just the terms we used to define and refer to some expressions people show with body language (or speaking). It all comes down to brain chemistry, even love. This doesn't demean the intrinsic value in love. Even if it's explicable by simply checking chemistry, it doesn't make it less valuable.

LOL, well thank you for posting, and its very good meeting you... Big Grin

2 questions

1) Do you think this applies to social morals too?

2) And what of consciousness itself? Is this in the atheist view a chemical reaction basically and nothing more?
31-10-2014, 06:43 AM
(31-10-2014 06:28 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  

LOL, well thank you for posting, and its very good meeting you... Big Grin

2 questions

1) Do you think this applies to social morals too?
No.
Quote:2) And what of consciousness itself? Is this in the atheist view a chemical reaction basically and nothing more?
No.

You are confusing levels of explanation. It is not useful to try to explain a phenomenon in a reductionist manner at too low a level.

Morals are a social construct based on an evolved moral sense. That sense requires a lower level phenomenon, consciousness.

Consciousness requires mind requires brain requires organism requires life requires chemistry requires physics ...

We won't usefully or understandably explain consciousness in terms of elementary particles.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Chas's post
31-10-2014, 06:50 AM
(31-10-2014 06:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  No.

You are confusing levels of explanation. It is not useful to try to explain a phenomenon in a reductionist manner at too low a level.

Morals are a social construct based on an evolved moral sense. That sense requires a lower level phenomenon, consciousness.

Consciousness requires mind requires brain requires organism requires life requires chemistry requires physics ...

We won't usefully or understandably explain consciousness in terms of elementary particles.

Hi and thank you too for posting!

Please feel free to expound beyond the elementary. I will be back in a few hours, and look forward to the post Smile
31-10-2014, 06:51 AM
I have the feeling I missed your intent, if so please let me know. Big Grin

Everything you think is a product of your brain, but again why would that make it less extraordinary? Our intelligence is extraordinary even without a supernatural being providing it.

Consciousness, until proven otherwise, is still a product of your own brain. You are your brain. It's not an atheist view, it's just the way it is. If someday someone proves the existence of consciousness outside of the physical brain with evidence, then I'll accept that as a fact. But until then, I have no reason to think it's the reality of things, if you know what I mean.

But does it make everything less valuable? I don't know, but I don't see why that would be the case.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
31-10-2014, 06:52 AM
What is love?

Baby, don't hurt me!

Don't hurt me!

No more.

YesYesYesYesYesYes
[+] 10 users Like Kaepora Gaebora's post
31-10-2014, 07:21 AM
(31-10-2014 06:50 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 06:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  No.

Hi and thank you too for posting!

Please feel free to expound beyond the elementary. I will be back in a few hours, and look forward to the post Smile

It's too large a field for me to do justice to it in a forum post.

There are many books that address these sorts of questions either directly or indirectly. This is partly a matter of the philosophy of science, especially the arguments about reductionism.

Douglas Hofstadter and Daniel Dennet also address this issue in their book The Mind's I: Fantasies and reflections on self and soul.

More recently, Dennett's books The Intentional Stance and Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking posit how we think about things.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
31-10-2014, 08:48 AM
(31-10-2014 06:26 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  

This is what they are.

Evolution is the answer to the question "Why?"

because its the best explanation we have