What are "feelings" and "emotion"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2014, 11:48 PM
RE: What are "feelings" and "emotion"?
(01-11-2014 10:21 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 10:15 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Yeah yeah tell me what I don't understand again and youll be challenged with that genesis 1 vs the big bang and string debate.

As an aside, in case you've missed it, some one has asked for your presence already in the debating area. Smile

All the best in the back and forth.

Much cheers to all.

And thank you very much Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2014, 11:55 PM
(31-10-2014 06:05 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Hi.
I'm interested in you opinions regarding "feelings" and "emotion". What are they and why do we experience them? What makes someone jump with fear, or embrace with love, or strike with hatred?

Thank you!

There is not a whole lot of ideals or philosophy that can go into emotions anymore. Most of it is really done by the science of psychology. If you want to know what makes people feel fear, happiness, or anger, than you will want to take psychology classes. I am taking 101 right now and I don't care for it. The classes I am taking is all about feelings and communication. One of the last things in psychology I wanted to learn about.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
02-11-2014, 12:35 AM
(01-11-2014 11:47 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  .... There is some difference though as feeling can involve sight smell and touch. FeelingS however, plural, I use to refer to emotion like love and hate. We associate these feelings with other individual people many times, and it is THIS response... this FEELING for THOSE people associated with our love or hate, the objects of our emotion, that produces the chemical reactions once we "think" about them. These chemical reactions then go on to reinforce those feelings.

Right.

So, thinking is a neuro-chemical/electrical thing, yes? It happens within the brain, right?

The same place, pretty much, that our 'feelings' and 'emotions' also come from. Within our brain.

Much cheers to all.
02-11-2014, 01:26 AM
Simple: Same as our 'major' 5 senses, emotions are a process to interrupt your environment for the quickest most accurate possible way to survive/pass on genes for survival. Emotions are smart… and sometimes enjoyable. Heart

Extra: Base emotions are 'empathy', and there is 'apathy'. Love is caring, and so is hate. Apathy is not caring, or the absence of (opposite of both hate and love and all the derivatives).
02-11-2014, 01:59 AM
(02-11-2014 12:35 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 11:47 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  .... There is some difference though as feeling can involve sight smell and touch. FeelingS however, plural, I use to refer to emotion like love and hate. We associate these feelings with other individual people many times, and it is THIS response... this FEELING for THOSE people associated with our love or hate, the objects of our emotion, that produces the chemical reactions once we "think" about them. These chemical reactions then go on to reinforce those feelings.

Right.

So, thinking is a neuro-chemical/electrical thing, yes? It happens within the brain, right?

The same place, pretty much, that our 'feelings' and 'emotions' also come from. Within our brain.

Much cheers to all.

Exxactly right... and according to those studies, the feeling of being in love already existed. The picture stimulated thought, the thought and strong emotion then evoked the chemical which went on to "reward" the participant, reinforcing her original "feeling" of love and desire. This is the jist of every study we've looked at thus far, and it cant at all be shown to be happening any other way.

The person in love was in love PRIOR to the chemical reaction. The "feeling" was already there, it wasn't produced by the chemical reaction, but it WAS reinforced. BECAUSE the subjects were in love, as they went through the pics, their emotion was suddenly perked by the picture, and THEN the chemical reaction transpired.

As I said, several articles have already shown the jury is still out, and they have nothing to stand on in the claim that their view has been proven. And as these study shows, the evidence backs my view strongly, although there are those who don't regard it as evidence... the same ones with no sources backing them in quotations.
02-11-2014, 02:14 AM
(02-11-2014 01:59 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Exxactly right... and according to those studies, the feeling of being in love already existed. The picture stimulated thought, the thought and strong emotion then evoked the chemical which went on to "reward" the participant, reinforcing her original "feeling" of love and desire. This is the jist of every study we've looked at thus far, and it cant at all be shown to be happening any other way.

Um.. but the chemical/electrical reactions are the thoughts and feelings and emotions. They are coming from/happening in the same place?

(02-11-2014 01:59 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  The person in love was in love PRIOR to the chemical reaction. The "feeling" was already there, it wasn't produced by the chemical reaction, but it WAS reinforced. BECAUSE the subjects were in love, as they went through the pics, their emotion was suddenly perked by the picture, and THEN the chemical reaction transpired.

Are you saying there's something else within the brain with this comment?

(02-11-2014 01:59 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  As I said, several articles have already shown the jury is still out, and they have nothing to stand on in the claim that their view has been proven. And as these study shows, the evidence backs my view strongly, although there are those who don't regard it as evidence... the same ones with no sources backing them in quotations.

I am still trying to quite understand your view, I am sorry.

Much cheers to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
02-11-2014, 02:30 AM
(31-10-2014 06:05 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  I'm interested in you opinions regarding "feelings" and "emotion". What are they and why do we experience them? What makes someone jump with fear, or embrace with love, or strike with hatred?
All living creatures exhibit behaviours.

They can be programed via DNA and epigenetics, they can be learned via culture or family upbringing. They can be an outcome of various situations...
02-11-2014, 04:23 AM
(01-11-2014 04:23 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 11:18 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  You do realize that your participation in the thread has been less than my participation in that single post?

I've explained what defines a person and that it is not merely his choices. But hey, what a surprise, you ignored that too.

You've yet provided any situation at all where one does not have a choice to make. Everything we DO is BY OUR OWN CHOICE. Feel free to lay out your situation, it will not be ignored I assure you Smile

When you are drowning, it's not your choice to try and breathe in the water (because that's just silly, why would you think you can breathe in the water?) but your body automatically tries to breathe once all the oxygen is gone.

When a lion is coming at you, it's not your choice to start running, it's an automatic reaction of fear that exists in our genes.

When you hear something funny, it's not your choice to laugh, it's an automatic reaction.

When you suffer from PTSD, any of its symptoms (that include actions and emotions) are not your choices.

If you have been abused as a child and turn into a psychopath because of that, it wasn't your choice.

Are these examples enough?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
02-11-2014, 04:53 AM
(01-11-2014 11:17 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 11:09 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Emotion as a continuous pattern of neuromodulation

The Neuromodulatory Basis of Emotion, Jean-Marc Fellous,, The neuroscientist, volume 5, number = 5, pages = 283-294,

Yes those back me too... you cant provide any quotes from there that debunk anything I'm stating.

I wasn't going to post again but people are giving this troll far too much credit. He dismisses evidence without even reading it (excuse being that people haven't quoted anything from it). He even says that papers back him up without knowing what they say.

So here it is:

Bottom of left hand column p 283

http://amygdala.psychdept.arizona.edu/pubs/emo.pdf

Quote:Rather, emotion can be seen as (and possibly characterized by) continuous patterns of neuromodulation of certain sets (systems) of brain structures.

When a new word comes up he just guesses at how it is being used and gets it completely wrong (I am not going to correct him, it shows him up as being the fool that he is)

(01-11-2014 11:17 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  And the word "reinforcement" youre using in your post, only goes to show the feeling was there and the chemical reaction "reinforced it"... you cant reinforce something that's not there. Wink

He is intentionally misrepresenting what people say

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid676561

This troll is a particularly bad example of the Dunning-Kruger effect and is enjoying goading people on.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
02-11-2014, 12:20 PM
(02-11-2014 04:53 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 11:17 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Yes those back me too... you cant provide any quotes from there that debunk anything I'm stating.

I wasn't going to post again but people are giving this troll far too much credit. He dismisses evidence without even reading it (excuse being that people haven't quoted anything from it). He even says that papers back him up without knowing what they say.

So here it is:

Bottom of left hand column p 283

http://amygdala.psychdept.arizona.edu/pubs/emo.pdf

Quote:Rather, emotion can be seen as (and possibly characterized by) continuous patterns of neuromodulation of certain sets (systems) of brain structures.

When a new word comes up he just guesses at how it is being used and gets it completely wrong (I am not going to correct him, it shows him up as being the fool that he is)

(01-11-2014 11:17 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  And the word "reinforcement" youre using in your post, only goes to show the feeling was there and the chemical reaction "reinforced it"... you cant reinforce something that's not there. Wink

He is intentionally misrepresenting what people say

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid676561

This troll is a particularly bad example of the Dunning-Kruger effect and is enjoying goading people on.

It looks to me like youre the troll. But that's just my opinion. You certainly are unarmed.

What about "the debate rages on" do you not understand??

In your own quotes "can be" "possibly", and all the articles telling you outright that YOU DONT KNOW and yet you act like you do... get outta here lol, you don't have any credibility left in my book. That kind of pride is self destructive.

You were told there is nothing to defend your position that you "know" and now you've seen it for your own eyes, so why are you acting like YOU can instruct ME in the opposite? Im not a stupid man nor does your trivial name calling and high horse snobbery bother or intimidate me a bit.

So do you think you can find something now without all the "possibly" "maybe" "can possibly be"?

If you can find one youll only be behind by 4 articles, and then I can snow you under with a bunch more Tongue