What are "feelings" and "emotion"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2014, 12:30 PM
RE: What are "feelings" and "emotion"?
(02-11-2014 02:14 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 01:59 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Exxactly right... and according to those studies, the feeling of being in love already existed. The picture stimulated thought, the thought and strong emotion then evoked the chemical which went on to "reward" the participant, reinforcing her original "feeling" of love and desire. This is the jist of every study we've looked at thus far, and it cant at all be shown to be happening any other way.

Um.. but the chemical/electrical reactions are the thoughts and feelings and emotions. They are coming from/happening in the same place?

Not according to the articles posted. According to the articles the feeling produced the chemical reaction. The chemical reactions are a reward that reinforce the feeling. Note too those who oppose me cant find anything saying "the debate is over, and this is proven"... Why? Because their side wont give it up in spite of the fact that the evidence backs me and not them Wink

When you feel pain is it because you put your hand on a hot stove, do you have to wait for a chemical reaction to tell you that youre in pain, or do you just instantly jerk the hand off the hot stove?

(02-11-2014 01:59 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  The person in love was in love PRIOR to the chemical reaction. The "feeling" was already there, it wasn't produced by the chemical reaction, but it WAS reinforced. BECAUSE the subjects were in love, as they went through the pics, their emotion was suddenly perked by the picture, and THEN the chemical reaction transpired.

Quote:Are you saying there's something else within the brain with this comment?
No I said exactly what the article said... they were ALREADY in love. The feeling of LOVE was already part of their processes. Then when they were handed pics and shuffled through them, they had no reaction until the lover pic... at which point the FEELING produced a chemical reaction REINFORCING and REWARDING the feeling. Like giving someone high on weed, some opium.

(02-11-2014 01:59 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  As I said, several articles have already shown the jury is still out, and they have nothing to stand on in the claim that their view has been proven. And as these study shows, the evidence backs my view strongly, although there are those who don't regard it as evidence... the same ones with no sources backing them in quotations.

Quote:I am still trying to quite understand your view, I am sorry.

Much cheers to all.

Its ok, I don't mind, and I can get you more articles on it too along with more studies to prove the point.

Do I say my side is scientifically proven? No I simply say its UNPROVEN but the evidence is on my side.

I also say those here saying it IS proven one way or the other, have absolutely no idea what theyre talking about, and certainly cant back their statements.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2014, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 04:08 PM by Chas.)
(02-11-2014 12:30 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  When you feel pain is it because you put your hand on a hot stove, do you have to wait for a chemical reaction to tell you that youre in pain,

Yes, there is a series of electro-chemical reactions taking place to transmit the sensation to the brain, chemical reactions in the brain to translate the nerve impulses into pain, another cascade of electro-chemical reactions to signal the muscle contractions to jerk the hand away.

Quote:or do you just instantly jerk the hand off the hot stove?

It is not instantaneous.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
02-11-2014, 02:16 PM
(02-11-2014 01:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 12:30 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  When you feel pain is it because you put your hand on a hot stove, do you have to wait for a chemical reaction to tell you that youre in pain,

Yes, there is a series of taking place to transmit the sensation to the brain, chemical reactions in the brain to translate the nerve impulses into pain, another cascade of electro-chemical reactions to signal the muscle contractions to jerk the hand away.

Quote:or do you just instantly jerk the hand off the hot stove?

It is not instantaneous.

No of course, we leave the hand there for 10 minutes until we realize it was hot, instead of immediately jerking away from the stove. Wink
My reflexes aren't that dull and slow.
02-11-2014, 02:24 PM
(02-11-2014 02:16 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 01:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, there is a series of taking place to transmit the sensation to the brain, chemical reactions in the brain to translate the nerve impulses into pain, another cascade of electro-chemical reactions to signal the muscle contractions to jerk the hand away.

It is not instantaneous.

No of course, we leave the hand there for 10 minutes until we realize it was hot, instead of immediately jerking away from the stove. Wink

You really don't know how senses and nerves work? I mean, seriously, it's the 21st century.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
02-11-2014, 02:45 PM
(02-11-2014 01:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, there is a series of taking place to transmit the sensation to the brain, chemical reactions in the brain to translate the nerve impulses into pain, another cascade of electro-chemical reactions to signal the muscle contractions to jerk the hand away.

It is not instantaneous.

Oh, wow.

Are you even trying?

"Not instantaneous" does not equal "10 minutes". You clearly don't give a fuck about honesty, do you?

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
02-11-2014, 02:47 PM

It is not instantaneous.

You clearly did not understand what I wrote. It takes a non-zero amount of time for the signals from the sensory nerves to propagate to the brain,
get processed, and signals to the motor nerves to get to the muscles. It is all chemical and not instantaneous.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2014, 03:42 PM
When I feel my penis I get emotional. You can't explain that.
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
02-11-2014, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 04:12 PM by Anjele.)

It is not instantaneous.

That may have been sarcasm but it's hard to know for sure since the correct color and font weren't applied....course that winky face is there...Consider...but since it's in nearly every other post it doesn't mean anything any more.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-11-2014, 03:59 PM
(02-11-2014 12:30 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  According to the articles the feeling produced the chemical reaction.

Okay.. so what is the feeling then? Where is it? What is it?

(02-11-2014 12:30 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  The chemical reactions are a reward that reinforce the feeling. Note too those who oppose me cant find anything saying "the debate is over, and this is proven"... Why? Because their side wont give it up in spite of the fact that the evidence backs me and not them Wink

I am still actually, kind of, trying to work out what it is that you are saying.....

(02-11-2014 12:30 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  When you feel pain is it because you put your hand on a hot stove, do you have to wait for a chemical reaction to tell you that youre in pain, or do you just instantly jerk the hand off the hot stove?

Wait... if one puts one's hand on a hot stove... there's a chemical reaction of burning.

Now... are you saying 'The feeling' comes from some where and... it does what how... exactly?

(02-11-2014 01:59 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  The person in love was in love PRIOR to the chemical reaction. The "feeling" was already there, it wasn't produced by the chemical reaction, but it WAS reinforced. BECAUSE the subjects were in love, as they went through the pics, their emotion was suddenly perked by the picture, and THEN the chemical reaction transpired.

In regards to the embolden bit. Where was the feeling? In the person? Where in the person? In what form within the person? If not within the person, where was it?

(02-11-2014 12:30 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  No I said exactly what the article said... they were ALREADY in love. The feeling of LOVE was already part of their processes. Then when they were handed pics and shuffled through them, they had no reaction until the lover pic... at which point the FEELING produced a chemical reaction REINFORCING and REWARDING the feeling. Like giving someone high on weed, some opium.

But... we know what opiates do within the body. They are chemicals which interact with the nervous system. I'm still having trouble understanding what you are saying feelings and emotions are.

(02-11-2014 01:59 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  As I said, several articles have already shown the jury is still out, and they have nothing to stand on in the claim that their view has been proven. And as these study shows, the evidence backs my view strongly, although there are those who don't regard it as evidence... the same ones with no sources backing them in quotations.

Again, it would be a sad day is science and scienctist said they knew everything and there was nothing left to research, think, debate etc abut. To kind of quote Darra O'Briian.

"Of course science doesn't know every thing! If science knew everything.... ? It'd stop."

(02-11-2014 12:30 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Its ok, I don't mind, and I can get you more articles on it too along with more studies to prove the point.

Do I say my side is scientifically proven? No I simply say its UNPROVEN but the evidence is on my side.

I also say those here saying it IS proven one way or the other, have absolutely no idea what they're talking about, and certainly cant back their statements.

Again, as I'm still trying to understand your side/information... *shrug*

Much cheers to all.
[+] 3 users Like Peebothuhul's post
02-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Not even turning the light in your room is instantaneous. But it's so fast that you don't even realize it, and it looks instantaneous to you.

The same thing applies to your nerves, after all they're electrical impulses. They're so fast that you have no time to think, and removing the hand from a hot object is hard-wired in your brain.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post