What are "feelings" and "emotion"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2014, 09:02 AM
RE: What are "feelings" and "emotion"?
(31-10-2014 06:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  Consciousness requires mind requires brain requires organism requires life requires chemistry requires physics ...

Keyword : emergence
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2014, 09:13 AM
I appreciate everyone's answer. So I believe everyone is saying then our feelings and emotions are basic chemical reactions causing us to feel things like love, hate fear etc.

My question then is... isn't the adrenal chemical reactions brought on by fear, and not the cause of fear? In other words, science seems to tell us that we become startled by something and this produces the adrenalin rush. The atheistic view seems to be the opposite of this. How would you address this?

And THANK YOU ALL again! Smile
31-10-2014, 09:18 AM
(31-10-2014 09:13 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  I appreciate everyone's answer. So I believe everyone is saying then our feelings and emotions are basic chemical reactions causing us to feel things like love, hate fear etc.

My question then is... isn't the adrenal chemical reactions brought on by fear, and not the cause of fear? In other words, science seems to tell us that we become startled by something and this produces the adrenalin rush. The atheistic view seems to be the opposite of this. How would you address this?

Well, since it is not the case that everyone is saying that, the rest of your post becomes nonsense.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-10-2014, 09:24 AM
I don't see what this "atheist view" is all about. It sounds more like a generalization.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 3 users Like grizzlysnake's post
31-10-2014, 09:25 AM
(31-10-2014 07:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...
More recently, Dennett's books The Intentional Stance and Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking posit how we think about things.

Words taken from mouth.

Nice one, Chas.

Thumbsup

31-10-2014, 09:39 AM
(31-10-2014 09:13 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  I appreciate everyone's answer. So I believe everyone is saying then our feelings and emotions are basic chemical reactions causing us to feel things like love, hate fear etc.

So you're saying:

Eyes -> Brain -> Mind (outside brain) -> Fear -> Bodily reaction? Why would that be more likely than Eyes -> Brain -> Bodily reaction?

Fear is evolved to make *you*, descendant of Sillius Monkeius esquire, run away from Dangerus Beastius. Of *course* your adrenal glands start pumping like there's no tomorrow - for scores of Sillii Monkeii there *was* no tomorrow. The ones who fucked off at high speed were the ones who reproduced...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 7 users Like morondog's post
31-10-2014, 10:02 AM
(31-10-2014 09:13 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  ...
isn't the adrenal chemical reactions brought on by fear, and not the cause of fear?

The adrenal chemical reactions are neither the cause nor the result of fear. They are the fear. When a person is confronted with a threatening situation, there is a mental perception of "this is bad" which then results in the adrenal chemical reactions. When those occur, you feel the fear. That feeling is the chemical reactions. Those, in turn, may spark further mind processes that heighten the fear.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
31-10-2014, 10:03 AM
We have emotions for a reason. If they carried a cost then we would have evolved not to have emotions. Emotions have evolved for a purpose.

An animal, human, or robot, has many different competing needs but only one body. Essentially it needs to drink, eat, stay safe and breed. These needs are constantly changing in intensity. They also change according to opportunity. You may be both hungry and thirsty but if you hear water near by then it makes more sense to search for the water. Same reason why smelling cooked food can make you more hungry.

Emotions are emergent phenomena that we experience.They come about from the action of different neurochemicals which either excite or inhibit parts of the brain. You can think of these neurochemicals acting as gain controls. So for example a robot has the need to keep its battery level high. If the charge decreases from 20% to 19% then it's not a problem, but from 2% to 1% is real cause for concern that must override all other needs of the robot. A rabbit may be happily eating some grass for example. If it senses the presence of a predator then it needs to feel fear to motivate it to continue running back to its burrow even though it may have only caught a glimpse of say a fox. A rabbit that was then distracted by nice green grass on the way back to safety wouldn't last very long and more importantly wouldn't be so successful at passing on its genes.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
31-10-2014, 10:17 AM
At its simplest state, I would would say feelings and emotions are biological responses to internal or external stimuli. Those responses can aide in our survival in a large number of ways.

There are some people who don't have some of these emotional responses and sociopaths are among them.

In religious folk, often many of the emotional responses are from self generating internal stimuli and external stimuli from others within the same group.

Do you think a god would have any human emotions ?
Or would their actions be more consistent with that of a sociopath ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
31-10-2014, 10:20 AM

What do you mean "atheistic view"? And which "atheistic view" are you talking about? Atheism is just disbelief existence of god/gods; your questions are about brain functions and emotions, where is the connection?
[+] 2 users Like xieulong's post