What are "feelings" and "emotion"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2014, 03:30 AM
RE: What are "feelings" and "emotion"?
(31-10-2014 06:19 PM)altruistica Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 06:51 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Consciousness, until proven otherwise, is still a product of your own brain. You are your brain. It's not an atheist view, it's just the way it is. I

What do you make of this film, jump ahead to 29mins 30secs:

What about that film? Your point being?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2014, 03:43 AM
(31-10-2014 06:19 PM)altruistica Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 06:51 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Consciousness, until proven otherwise, is still a product of your own brain. You are your brain. It's not an atheist view, it's just the way it is.

What do you make of this film, jump ahead to 29mins 30secs:

Very cool and interesting experiment (I'd like to try it) but does it disprove what I said? I don't see how and I think it actually it proves it. The guy had the illusion of being behind himself because you can trick your own brain into believing in something that is not actually real. And he thinks he's behind himself because he's the brain.

If you lose your hand, you'll still be you. Any part of your body is gone, and you'll still exist because none of those parts is you. But if you lose your brain, then you're gone.

Just to show you how it's easy to trick your brain, check this video, the trick is revealed in the end. Then rewind it and rewatch it. The illusion will still work because your brain will interpret it the same way, even if you know the trick.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
01-11-2014, 09:36 AM
(31-10-2014 04:41 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 04:17 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Its not my problem that I was the only one with sources Wink

Here are some for you relevant to this thread:

Emotion as a continuous pattern of neuromodulation

The Neuromodulatory Basis of Emotion, Jean-Marc Fellous,, The neuroscientist, volume 5, number = 5, pages = 283-294,

The function of emotions:

From Human Emotions to Robot Emotions, Jean-Marc Fellous, Architectures for Modeling Emotions: Cross-Disciplinary Foundations. Papers from the 2004 AAAI Spring Symposium, 37-47,

Evolutionary Explanations of Emotion, R.M. Nesse, 1990, Human Nature, volume 1, number 30, pages261-289

Emotions allowing animals to satisfy needs

Who needs emotions? The brain meets the robot., Ann E. Kelley, 2005, 0-19-516619-4, Oxford University Press., 29-77,

Food tastes better when we're hungry.

Also emotional attractors in the brain as repetitive patterns of electrical activities triggered by specific environmental stimuli (pp94) (think photos triggering emotions)

Affective neuroscience: the foundations of human and animal emotions, Jaak Panksepp, 1998, 0-19-509673-8, Oxford University Press, Inc.

Debate as to whether dopamine is used as a reinforcement signal or as a preparatory 'Go' signal or to set the learning threshold in the Basal Ganglia.

The Brain and Emotion, Edmund T. Rolls, 1999, 0-19-852463-3, Oxford University Press.

Brain as a self organising system

Dynamic patterns: The self-organization of brain and behavior, J. A. Scott Kelso, 1995, 0-262-61131-7, A Bradford book. The MIT Press.

The Handbook of Brain Theory and Neural Networks, Christoph von der Malsburg, Self-Organization and the Brain,

Dopamine, seratonin, noradrenaline and acetylcholine theorised about with regard to reinforcement.

Metalearning, Neuromodulation, and Emotion, Kenji Doya, 2000, 101-104, Affective Minds, Elsevier Science Ltd.,

Metalearning and Neuromodulation, Kenji Doy, Neural Networks, volume 15, number 4, 495-506,

(31-10-2014 04:50 PM)OddGamer Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 04:17 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Its not my problem that I was the only one with sources Wink

I present the following links to support our point of view.

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/lovesero.htm

http://www.oxytocin.org/oxytoc/love-science.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_basis_of_love

http://www.mcmanweb.com/love_lust.html

Enjoy! Smile

Aww you guys scared him off with all your evidence Rolleyes I guess the only way to ignore it most effectively was to just abandon the thread entirely Laughat

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
01-11-2014, 09:44 AM
(01-11-2014 09:36 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 04:41 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Here are some for you relevant to this thread:

Emotion as a continuous pattern of neuromodulation

The Neuromodulatory Basis of Emotion, Jean-Marc Fellous,, The neuroscientist, volume 5, number = 5, pages = 283-294,

The function of emotions:

From Human Emotions to Robot Emotions, Jean-Marc Fellous, Architectures for Modeling Emotions: Cross-Disciplinary Foundations. Papers from the 2004 AAAI Spring Symposium, 37-47,

Evolutionary Explanations of Emotion, R.M. Nesse, 1990, Human Nature, volume 1, number 30, pages261-289

Emotions allowing animals to satisfy needs

Who needs emotions? The brain meets the robot., Ann E. Kelley, 2005, 0-19-516619-4, Oxford University Press., 29-77,

Food tastes better when we're hungry.

Also emotional attractors in the brain as repetitive patterns of electrical activities triggered by specific environmental stimuli (pp94) (think photos triggering emotions)

Affective neuroscience: the foundations of human and animal emotions, Jaak Panksepp, 1998, 0-19-509673-8, Oxford University Press, Inc.

Debate as to whether dopamine is used as a reinforcement signal or as a preparatory 'Go' signal or to set the learning threshold in the Basal Ganglia.

The Brain and Emotion, Edmund T. Rolls, 1999, 0-19-852463-3, Oxford University Press.

Brain as a self organising system

Dynamic patterns: The self-organization of brain and behavior, J. A. Scott Kelso, 1995, 0-262-61131-7, A Bradford book. The MIT Press.

The Handbook of Brain Theory and Neural Networks, Christoph von der Malsburg, Self-Organization and the Brain,

Dopamine, seratonin, noradrenaline and acetylcholine theorised about with regard to reinforcement.

Metalearning, Neuromodulation, and Emotion, Kenji Doya, 2000, 101-104, Affective Minds, Elsevier Science Ltd.,

Metalearning and Neuromodulation, Kenji Doy, Neural Networks, volume 15, number 4, 495-506,

(31-10-2014 04:50 PM)OddGamer Wrote:  I present the following links to support our point of view.

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/lovesero.htm

http://www.oxytocin.org/oxytoc/love-science.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_basis_of_love

http://www.mcmanweb.com/love_lust.html

Enjoy! Smile

Aww you guys scared him off with all your evidence Rolleyes I guess the only way to ignore it most effectively was to just abandon the thread entirely Laughat

No you didn't scare anything... the truth is those articles prove MY stance not yours.. Those were the 4 articles that I MYSELF POSTED, WITH QUOTES to support me... note he cannot produce more than LINK... there are no quotes there supporting the theory you propose... Iv used 4 out of 4 of those links RIGHT HERE myself ALREADY... PROVIDING QUOTES from them to prove my point... where the hell are his quotes?

...the scholarly work here, or whats accepted as scholarly is appalling.

Let him produce quotes backing his theory and tell me why those articles he is using back me and not him Smile
01-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Hey Wolf, I love that Matrix quote. Very atheistic of you..
01-11-2014, 10:01 AM
(31-10-2014 08:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  So, is Altru a Wolfie sock that forgot what name he was posting under?

Before you make a fool of yourself, and falsely accuse people, you should do one of 2 things:

1) Write me privately asking me... showing both balls and integrity

2) Go to admin with your silly paranoid suspicions and ask them to check my IP Smile

Unarmed people not at all interested in the truth but rather their own pride usually do have to resort to ad hom and unsupported accusation though don't they Wink
01-11-2014, 10:03 AM
(01-11-2014 10:01 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 08:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  So, is Altru a Wolfie sock that forgot what name he was posting under?

Before you make a fool of yourself, and falsely accuse people, you should do one of 2 things:

2) Go to admin with your silly paranoid suspicions and ask them to check my IP Smile

Unarmed people not at all interested in the truth but rather their own pride usually do have to resort to ad hom and unsupported accusation though don't they Wink

Awwww, Matt - you're back. How nice.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Replying to a thread that at least is still open. Wink

(31-10-2014 06:05 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Hi.
I'm interested in you opinions regarding "feelings" and "emotion". What are they and why do we experience them? What makes someone jump with fear, or embrace with love, or strike with hatred?

Thank you!

Feelings and emotions are the result of our neurons/pathways and other chemical interactions within our bodies.

You're most welcome.

Other posters are much better educated about such things and I hope to read their posts and learn more.

Much cheers to all.
01-11-2014, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2014 10:12 AM by Wolfbitn.)
(01-11-2014 10:03 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 10:01 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Before you make a fool of yourself, and falsely accuse people, you should do one of 2 things:

Awwww, Matt - you're back. How nice.

Only morons make unsupported claims right? Wink My name is Eric... but that's all you need to know... Im sorry this is the only ammo you have and you don't even have the integrity to go to admin Smile Too bad eh, that you have nothing more intelligent to offer this thread... now...

Angela merkel... provide quotes from MY SOURCES that you say you provide, AFTER I ALREADY PROVIDED THEM, showing they back you... you KNOW the quotes back me, showing that either you simply don't know, or youre entirely wrong and the feeling produces the chemical reactions. I ALREADY provided the quotes form them proving my point right here in this thread... where are the quotes then from those articles you say back you... post them here for everyone to read. Smile
01-11-2014, 10:11 AM
(01-11-2014 10:06 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Replying to a thread that at least is still open. Wink

(31-10-2014 06:05 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Hi.
I'm interested in you opinions regarding "feelings" and "emotion". What are they and why do we experience them? What makes someone jump with fear, or embrace with love, or strike with hatred?

Thank you!

Feelings and emotions are the result of our neurons/pathways and other chemical interactions within our bodies.

You're most welcome.

Other posters are much better educated about such things and I hope to read their posts and learn more.

Much cheers to all.

Thank you pee.. can you provide a scientific study that states plainly that our feelings and emotions are the result of a chemical reaction and not the cause of the chemical reaction?

Iv provided 2 articles stating it is entirely theoretical, and then 2 studies which state the chemical reactions were a result of the feeling.

Thank you Smile