Poll: Atheists perspective: What is the definition of gods?
supernatural entities
non-existing entities
allegorical icons of ideological systems
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
What are gods?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2011, 10:49 AM
What are gods?
I am tired of the foolishness.

Atheists should be required to recognize that gods are allegorical icons of ideological systems - theists are not required to understand that. For atheists designated gods are just like the terms, "Republican," or "Democratic," they refer to ideological systems.

If you have another description for gods - back it up with some good reasoning

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2011, 01:08 PM
RE: What are gods?
(28-03-2011 10:49 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  I am tired of the foolishness.

Then stop making foolish posts.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
28-03-2011, 02:44 PM
(28-03-2011 10:49 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  If you have another description for gods - back it up with some good reasoning
Anthropomorphizing of the world around the naive.

Anthropomorphizing --> No wonder God has typical human abilities like: anger, love, a gender, a voice. No holy book ever writes about the fabric or density of God.
the world --> everything from the death of a loved one to the beauty of a flower.
naive --> In the days those books where written, the amount of information that an average person processed in his whole life is about as much information we find today in an average newspaper spanning one average day.

Strangest poll ever: The questioner points to the "correct" answer in an aggressive don't-dare-to-oppose kind of way. Who taught you about voting TrainWreck? Sadam Hussain?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
28-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Good post Observer.

Stating that atheists should "be required" to recognize ANYTHING is the most foolish thing here.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
28-03-2011, 04:23 PM
I feel like someone already posted this exact thing. And that OP seemed to consider anything with superior attributes as a god.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
28-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Why would anyone define a god as a non-existing entity?

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
28-03-2011, 07:38 PM

(28-03-2011 07:22 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  Why would anyone define a god as a non-existing entity?

Because they are atheist Wink
Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2011, 08:01 PM
(28-03-2011 07:38 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  
(28-03-2011 07:22 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  Why would anyone define a god as a non-existing entity?

Definition of entity:

a : being, existence; especially : independent, separate, or self-contained existence b : the existence of a thing as contrasted with its attributes
: something that has separate and distinct existence and objective or conceptual reality

Uhm...Confused
(28-03-2011 02:44 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Strangest poll ever: The questioner points to the "correct" answer in an aggressive don't-dare-to-oppose kind of way. Who taught you about voting TrainWreck? Sadam Hussain?

You are hilarious.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
28-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Sounds like the beginning to the Philosophy 101 theist argument that asserts that God has to exist because God is perfect and to not exist would be an imperfection. The very nature of God insists that he exist or he would no longer be a perfect entity.

Of course this is all circular logic along the lines of "the bible must be true because the bible says that it is true."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
29-03-2011, 11:47 AM
(28-03-2011 08:01 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  
(28-03-2011 07:38 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  

Definition of entity:

a : being, existence; especially : independent, separate, or self-contained existence b : the existence of a thing as contrasted with its attributes
: something that has separate and distinct existence and objective or conceptual reality

Uhm...Confused
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxymoron

That kind of thing happens.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.