What are some of the stupidest suggestions by religions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2011, 05:08 PM

RE: What are some of the stupidest suggestions by religions?
(26-02-2011 01:51 PM)Diclonius Wrote:  It all leads back to the fact that a lot of these people want to die, if they die then they're in "heaven" with their creator. It's dangerous thinking and to me, it's incredibly stupid.

I would be curious to know what data you are basing your assumption that "a lot of these people want to die". While the sentiment you express that "it's incredibly stupid" is something I agree with, it seems to me that you are ascribing these attributes to "a lot of these people" with any evidence at all.
Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2011, 06:01 PM
An all forgiving god could not forgive the people of the world without bloodshed of innocent people, including his own son.
-We are all forgiven because jesus was killed.
-The world was cleansed when the flood annihilated every baby and unborn child in the world.
-Sodam and Gomorrah were destroyed with every every baby and unborn child living there.
-Countless cities where sacked with the death of everyone and pregnant women being slashed open by order from god.
-Etc., etc, etc, add nausea to the nth degree.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2011, 06:26 PM
(26-02-2011 06:01 PM)No J. Wrote:  An all forgiving god could not forgive the people of the world without bloodshed of innocent people, including his own son.
-We are all forgiven because jesus was killed.
-The world was cleansed when the flood annihilated every baby and unborn child in the world.
-Sodam and Gomorrah were destroyed with every every baby and unborn child living there.
-Countless cities where sacked with the death of everyone and pregnant women being slashed open by order from god.
-Etc., etc, etc, add nausea to the nth degree.

The stupidest suggestion by religions is, that religion is true.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
26-02-2011, 08:32 PM

(26-02-2011 05:08 PM)sano Wrote:  
(26-02-2011 01:51 PM)Diclonius Wrote:  It all leads back to the fact that a lot of these people want to die, if they die then they're in "heaven" with their creator. It's dangerous thinking and to me, it's incredibly stupid.

I would be curious to know what data you are basing your assumption that "a lot of these people want to die". While the sentiment you express that "it's incredibly stupid" is something I agree with, it seems to me that you are ascribing these attributes to "a lot of these people" with any evidence at all.
The theistic death wish isn't something that statistics don't back. Anywhere from suicide bombings to earn a place in paradise to some Christians refusing medical treatment.

Would you like me to provide these statistics in detail, it's not hard to scrounge them up. I also say "a lot of these people" because saying "ALL" would be entirely untrue. Not ALL theists have a death wish, but a lot of them do have it in some degree, whether major or minor. Jihad suicide bombers, that'd be an example of major, Christians who refuse medical treatment, that can vary between major and minor depending on how serious their condition is that they refuse to be treated for.

Another stupid thing to come out of religion, The Bible in general, not going to go into tiny specifics.
Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Postmortem baptism - Mormons
27-02-2011, 08:02 AM
The belief that humans are superior to all other living things (except those that are impercievable). Which along with plants and other animals tends to extend to people who are percieved as different.

The sacred role of sperm. Preventing masturbation and safe sex in favor of rape and unwed mothers.

Demanding chastity of monks and nuns thereby preventing their most active and benificial disciples from rearing children.

Creating material rewards for immaterial things.

The destruction of countless libraries of ancient cultures because of heresy. Though they kept every book based on their own faith no matter how false they believed it to be.

The acceptace of blind faith as a necessary demand in order to allow humans free will.

Belief that an infallible god that is proven fallible in it's own book is still infallable.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
27-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Mormonism:
-Natives are dark-skinned 'cause they're sinners.
-Jesus showed up in North America.
-Joseph Smith is "not" a con artist who wrote a book in the 19th century using 18th (or was it 17th?) century language.

Actually, scratch all that: Mormonism in general is flabbergasting o.0

Christianity in general:
-Jesus is the ethnicity of whichever country he happens to be worshipped in.
-Jesus is the father and son of himself.
-He's also both flesh/blood and a ghost.
-Eating this real or symbolic flesh and drinking real or symbolic blood is not considered cannibalism.
-Jesus is simultaneously the son of god and the descendant of David through Joseph.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
27-02-2011, 09:33 PM
How are these suggestions? These are the holy infallible truths of god and the reality he made!

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
27-02-2011, 09:49 PM
1.Giving a 10% gift to an organization of "divine" origins. If god wants your church to thrive and he is all powerful it will thrive. What a waste of effort.

2. Genital mutilation. Two questions here: If we are all made in god's imagine and you object to things like tattoos and Piercings should you not also object to this? Also why if a supreme being is going to tell you to engage in this activity does the book fail to provide any good advice on hygiene?

3. Convert the entire world to your way of thinking. Does this not only diminish the beauty of the diversity of humanity but directly cause the majority of religious conflict? What if this command was never given by a religion?
02-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Urgh, I thought I had posted a reply and responded to a few things... guess I just previewed it. Anyway...

I'll just say that my number one would be the idea that we are born owing a debt that must be paid in blood - and that it was paid, but you have to telepathically accept the payer as your master.

Also, that the definition of "perfect" means not being able to do a damn thing right (like Yahweh).

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.