What are some of the stupidest suggestions by religions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2011, 05:45 PM

RE: What are some of the stupidest suggestions by religions?
The idea that this life is only temporary and we should sacrifice in this life so that we can live happily in Heaven in the future. I think it makes believers miss the importance of living this life to the fullest.
(26-02-2011 05:08 PM)sano Wrote:  
(26-02-2011 01:51 PM)Diclonius Wrote:  It all leads back to the fact that a lot of these people want to die, if they die then they're in "heaven" with their creator. It's dangerous thinking and to me, it's incredibly stupid.

I would be curious to know what data you are basing your assumption that "a lot of these people want to die". While the sentiment you express that "it's incredibly stupid" is something I agree with, it seems to me that you are ascribing these attributes to "a lot of these people" with any evidence at all.

Religious doctrine says that death will lead you to a greater ,happier life in heaven but I don't think that religious people really believe that because they want to stay alive as much as the next guy.
(26-02-2011 08:32 PM)Diclonius Wrote:  
(26-02-2011 05:08 PM)sano Wrote:  
(26-02-2011 01:51 PM)Diclonius Wrote:  It all leads back to the fact that a lot of these people want to die, if they die then they're in "heaven" with their creator. It's dangerous thinking and to me, it's incredibly stupid.

I would be curious to know what data you are basing your assumption that "a lot of these people want to die". While the sentiment you express that "it's incredibly stupid" is something I agree with, it seems to me that you are ascribing these attributes to "a lot of these people" with any evidence at all.
The theistic death wish isn't something that statistics don't back. Anywhere from suicide bombings to earn a place in paradise to some Christians refusing medical treatment.

Would you like me to provide these statistics in detail, it's not hard to scrounge them up. I also say "a lot of these people" because saying "ALL" would be entirely untrue. Not ALL theists have a death wish, but a lot of them do have it in some degree, whether major or minor. Jihad suicide bombers, that'd be an example of major, Christians who refuse medical treatment, that can vary between major and minor depending on how serious their condition is that they refuse to be treated for.

Another stupid thing to come out of religion, The Bible in general, not going to go into tiny specifics.

I disagree that statistics back up that religious people have a death wish. Suicide bombers & christians that won't accept medical help are the exception not the rule.
Quote this message in a reply