What are the goal of the Atheist Movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2012, 04:52 PM
What are the goal of the Atheist Movement?
I'm sure they are a little different for everyone.
Give this a read if you want.

An excerpt.
“It doesn’t do any good for atheists to argue with believers about religion, or to make fun of religion, or to insult it. In fact, it’s counter-productive. It actually hurts our cause.”

We see this argument a lot among atheists. And my usual response is to say, “Does not!” I usually point to history, and point out how effective it’s been to have both confrontationalism and diplomacy in a social change movement. ...

... And some of us — I’m one of them — actually think persuading people out of religion is a more achievable goal than persuading believers to tolerate and accept atheists. We think that the very nature of religion makes it difficult for believers to accept people with different beliefs… and damn near impossible for them to accept people with no beliefs. (Daniel Dennett argued this very eloquently in “Breaking the Spell”: the very fact that religion is unsupported by any good evidence, paradoxically, makes people cling to it more tightly, and defend it more passionately.) ...

But convincing the world that atheists are nice is not our main goal. Not for everyone. For many of us, getting legal rights for atheists and making sure they’re enforced — such as the right to organize high school groups, or the right to keep custody of our kids, or the right to not have religious ideas taught to our kids in public schools, or the right to be soldiers in the U.S. military and not have religion shoved down our throats — is our top priority… regardless of whether people think we’re nice along the way."

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TalladegaTom's post
28-02-2012, 04:56 PM
RE: What are the goal of the Atheist Movement?
The ultimate goal of atheism is to move from archaic societal structures towards evolved utopia.

LOL I dunno. I just made that up.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
28-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Since when has atheism been a movement?.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
28-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Why do we have to be a "movement" and why does there have to be a "goal"?
I am atheist because I lost belief for good reasons.
I am not here to talk others out of it. If they start talking or ask me I will be honest but I am not anyone's teacher or parent or whatever to make them think differently. If, in the process of talking, someone will change their mind due to what I say, fine for them, but it is not my goal.
It is also not my goal to make atheists look good.
I am just me, I have no goal. I just wanna be let alone and have a nice life, that's all.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 3 users Like Leela's post
28-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Interesting blog..... thanks for that

I must admit, (although I've not delved too deeply yet) this forum is very curious.
I have never come across so many atheists gathered in one place who are so pro-religion.

It feels a little, weird
[+] 2 users Like Sol's post
28-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Sol I don't think it is really "pro-religion" I think it is more a "live and let live" while having a good discussion and a lot of face-palms and laughter.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
28-02-2012, 05:19 PM
(28-02-2012 05:15 PM)Sol Wrote:  Interesting blog..... thanks for that

I must admit, (although I've not delved too deeply yet) this forum is very curious.
I have never come across so many atheists gathered in one place who are so pro-religion.

It feels a little, weird

You are MOST welcome Sol.

Weird is right. That is EXACTLY how I feel about this place!
So glad I am not the ONLY one who sees it that way.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
28-02-2012, 05:22 PM
(28-02-2012 05:13 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Since when has atheism been a movement?.

Why shouldn't it have a purpose? I could see atheism as a revolutionary campaign towards peace and unity through logic and reason.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
28-02-2012, 05:25 PM
I get the feeling that you're using this article to justify your overly-aggressive behavior on these boards.... but hopefully I'm wrong.

Those goals are great: "such as the right to organize high school groups, or the right to keep custody of our kids, or the right to not have religious ideas taught to our kids in public schools, or the right to be soldiers in the U.S. military and not have religion shoved down our throats."

Those goals listed require public activism. Getting involved on a local or national level with politics, law suits, etc. Places where, if you want to be the front man, you CAN'T be the nice guy and expect to get things done. Or if you just want to help motivate others to get involved then you have to advertise, raise awareness, be out there talking about how each person can get involved. Helping people get in touch with local groups that are active in their communities. What kinds of things would you suggest that interested people do to move forward on these types of goals?
28-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Leela, didn't mean to give the impression I thought the forum as a whole was pro-religion.

Just that a lot of atheists on it are. Not that atheism and pro-religion should be mutually exclusive.

Its just a curious dichotomy for me.