What are the goal of the Atheist Movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2012, 07:44 PM
RE: What are the goal of the Atheist Movement?
Go atheism. Yea team!!!Big Grin

Be proud to be an atheist.
Stand your ground.
Know your facts.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
28-02-2012, 07:53 PM
(28-02-2012 05:40 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  We as Atheists, DO need to set an agenda.

Bah, humbug.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-02-2012, 07:59 PM
If we don't, they will.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2012, 08:00 PM
(28-02-2012 06:34 PM)Sol Wrote:  
(28-02-2012 06:08 PM)Ben Wrote:  I dislike religion too, but ranting and raving angrily about it doesn't do much good from my experience.

Then our experiences differ which could be because I don't just dislike religion
Fair enough.
Quote:
(28-02-2012 06:08 PM)Ben Wrote:  I remember hearing people like you when I was a theist, and I could easily dismiss you as lacking an understanding of my theology or simply being angry.

I apologise if this isn't directed at me.. but I'm sure you couldn't know what I'm like.
And I understand theology, just depends what flavour your kool-aid was..
No, this wasn't really directed at you. In any case, I'm not saying that the angrier variety of atheists actually don't understand theology, just that it's easier for a theist to write them off that way.
Quote:
(28-02-2012 06:08 PM)Ben Wrote:  If you want to convert a theist, you should plant the seed of doubt and let it grow, while setting an example of how one can live a happy and well-adjusted life as an atheist.

How can I have a happy and well adjusted life when I have to be accommodating to all the superstition and voodoo that pervades it.
Hey, it's possible. Not easy, but possible.
Quote:
(28-02-2012 06:08 PM)Ben Wrote:  I bet more people have been de-converted by learning about their own religion than listening to Hitchens. Tongue

Very true, but simply noticing crass stupidity isn't that far up the learning curve is it ?
No, but it's a nice first step.
[+] 4 users Like Ben's post
28-02-2012, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2012 08:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-02-2012 07:59 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  If we don't, they will.

Let 'em try. I'm watching them hoist themselves higher and higher on their own petard every day. It's their anachronistic social agenda doing them in, not their metaphysics. ... I think I'm witnessing death throes and I ain't gonna just wade into them and risk getting bloodied and bruised for no apparent reason.

And you get a video, silly boy you self-destroyer. Wink

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-02-2012, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2012 09:15 PM by TalladegaTom.)
I don't see much in the way of "death throes".
Not trying to be confrontational, but I have a basic TV package from DirectTV (A satellite television provider common in America) and it includes 13 FULL time god channels and several other part timers.
I can list them if needed. All of them have their hand out.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
28-02-2012, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2012 09:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-02-2012 09:05 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  I don't see much in the way of "death throes".
Not trying to be confrontational, but I have a basic TV package from DirectTV (A satellite television provider common in America) and it includes 13 FULL time god channels and several other part timers.
I can list them if needed. All of them whave their hand out.

Feels desperate to me. I guess whether it's death throe desperate remains to be seen, but that's my read.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-02-2012, 09:53 PM
The internet wasn't available to the previous generation. We haven't seen the full effect this will have on the next generation. Even Muslims in Saudi Arabia are starting to question their beliefs. In countries where it could mean a death sentence.

I think they are in their death throes. Fundamentalism is falling even faster.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 8 users Like DeepThought's post
29-02-2012, 05:25 AM
It's weird reading this becuase we're a bit further down the road in Europe.

The Christians in the UK in particular are now adpoting a "we're being marginalised" position, which is foolish becuase it effectivly says "we know we're wrong, leave us alone" and makes them even less mainstream than before. Some fun reading here, their latest defense is that we should be scared of secularisation...which is frankly hilarious...I think the poll is a good indicator of how people in my part of the world feel.

The only thing that scares me is that this could mean that Christians get the same status as Muslims, where people are scared to criticise them in case of reprisals from the "political correctness" brigade.

I'd estimate that at least 90% of the secularisation of the UK occurred before Richard Dawkins and his crew of agressive atheists became prominent. There were no goals, no defined position, just a steady decline in Christianity becuase it is no longer relevent to our society.

The problem with this "silent revolution" that has seen churches emptied throughout the country is that we've not secularised well, we lack a framework to replace Christianity. In that respect, I think it's really important that free-thinkers in currently religious countries (somehow) define what they want thier future to look like...becuase if you don't, the polticians will...and that's where we are...so scared of offending anyone, that we don't say anything.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
[+] 3 users Like Shannow's post
29-02-2012, 05:36 AM
(29-02-2012 05:25 AM)Shannow Wrote:  In that respect, I think it's really important that free-thinkers in currently religious countries (somehow) define what they want thier future to look like...becuase if you don't, the polticians will...and that's where we are...so scared of offending anyone, that we don't say anything.

We need Ricky Rahl and the Sword of Truth... Angel

I agree with Tom that an agenda is needed. We need some kind of "methadone" for the "junkies" or there's just gonna be new junk.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post