What are the goal of the Atheist Movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-02-2012, 05:42 AM
RE: What are the goal of the Atheist Movement?
(29-02-2012 05:36 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 05:25 AM)Shannow Wrote:  In that respect, I think it's really important that free-thinkers in currently religious countries (somehow) define what they want thier future to look like...becuase if you don't, the polticians will...and that's where we are...so scared of offending anyone, that we don't say anything.
We need Ricky Rahl and the Sword of Truth... Angel

I agree with Tom that an agenda is needed. We need some kind of "methadone" for the "junkies" or there's just gonna be new junk.
I'll put on my pirate costume and think about this while I eat spaghetti...

I'm sure sure we'll come up with something else to do on sunday morning!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
29-02-2012, 06:46 AM
(29-02-2012 05:42 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'm sure sure we'll come up with something else to do on sunday morning!

Same thing we do every morning, Pinky...
[Image: pinky_brain.jpg]

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-02-2012, 07:06 AM
See here's what I don't get: why if we're all so soft hearted do you more manly types hang around here? There's plenty of other more theist-unfriendly forums for you to go and get told what clever people you are.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-02-2012, 10:22 AM
(29-02-2012 07:06 AM)morondog Wrote:  See here's what I don't get: why if we're all so soft hearted do you more manly types hang around here? There's plenty of other more theist-unfriendly forums for you to go and get told what clever people you are.

I will take this up as I assume by "manly" you mean the aggressive approach which I endorse.
I wasn't always this way. It took years of "discussion" with theists of all kinds to come to my particular stance.
I can only speak for myself as someone who DOES go into many dens of delusion. Sometimes in person. Oh they just love seeing my vehicle with the big red "A" on it parked where everyone can see it. Big Grin I DO relish in answering the "What does the "A" stand for?" question though.

Atheists are NOT welcome at the VAST majority of them no matter how polite you are. Been there, done that.
Solid examples that everyone here can test for themselves are religious YouTubers like shockofgod and 1godonly1 and the like.
If that's not institutional enough, try all the big guys and see how it goes. The same thing will occur.
Go ahead, try and point out to them some minor point of disagreement in a polite way and see how long it takes you to get serious flame tossed at you in return and then get added to the "Block" list. Seriously. As polite as you can possibly be will get you at minimum a "you're going to hell" and a "FU".
Folks here are good at polite and nice, so that test will sure be indicative.

Point me to a site or organization that when cornered with reality doesn't ban you and I'll head on over.

So why come here? It is new and the site has a GREAT layout. Seth's YouTube videos are excellent as ya'll would agree.
Once here, (please note, I was a bit battle weary) I really thought this was a good place to re-charge.
To my dismay, I was a bit saddened by the soft stance here. I know, folks here really don't like it when I say it but to me, all the pandering to KC and god talk is/was really a put off.
While trying not to piss everyone off more than I already have, by your own admission (There's plenty of other more theist-unfriendly forums) this place is a very soft kind of atheism.
Just think it needs a smart kick in the butt to get this place out of some of the god funk that I see sneaking its way in is all.
Sorry if that irks folks but it is the way I see it from the trenches.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
29-02-2012, 10:35 AM
(29-02-2012 10:22 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  To my dismay, I was a bit saddened by the soft stance here. I know, folks here really don't like it when I say it but to me, all the pandering to KC and god talk is/was really a put off.
While trying not to piss everyone off more than I already have, by your own admission (There's plenty of other more theist-unfriendly forums) this place is a very soft kind of atheism.
Just think it needs a smart kick in the butt to get this place out of some of the god funk that I see sneaking its way in is all.
Sorry if that irks folks but it is the way I see it from the trenches.

You missed it in October when I wuz yapping about killing theist doorknockers; then again, my blog is called killing creationists... you're not as alone as you may think. What has happened is that there is a core regular crew here; there ain't no woo leaking in. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
29-02-2012, 10:48 AM
(29-02-2012 10:35 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You missed it in October when I wuz yapping about killing theist doorknockers; then again, my blog is called killing creationists... you're not as alone as you may think. What has happened is that there is a core regular crew here; there ain't no woo leaking in. Wink

Glad to hear that. woo woo can be awful sneaky though.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
29-02-2012, 11:30 AM
(29-02-2012 10:22 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  Just think it needs a smart kick in the butt to get this place out of some of the god funk that I see sneaking its way in is all.

Whatever man. You do your thing, I'll do mine. And if you think that's all pandering to woo... well ya know what? Your good opinion of me is not something that I strive for Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-02-2012, 12:43 PM
(29-02-2012 11:30 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 10:22 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  Just think it needs a smart kick in the butt to get this place out of some of the god funk that I see sneaking its way in is all.

Whatever man. You do your thing, I'll do mine. And if you think that's all pandering to woo... well ya know what? Your good opinion of me is not something that I strive for Big Grin

I'll second that.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
29-02-2012, 01:30 PM
I like freedom, and I like education.

I will defend my freedom to disbelieve as needed. But, equally, I grant believers the freedom to believe whatever they want.

I like education because it betters the world, and I can see it (and have been watching it do so for decades and generations) defeating religion.

I come from Europe where this has happened for the most part already, and I was privileged enough to watch it happen.

It is starting to happen here too. You don't convert the older religious generation, you educate the younger generations.

Just look at how many young people are in this forum. Unthinkable just 20 years ago. You were an atheist, you were alone and a freak. Now, you click and you have a community to support you. A world of difference.

Go back in history and see how religious persecution ended up. Yikes. I'll take education any day.

And yes, even muslim fundamentalism is crumbling. Why? Education via the internet.

If you really want to make a difference, put out good educational tapes and distribute them online. Make them entertaining and convincing so you get young people to watch.

We are smack dab in the middle of a cultural revolution - world wide. And you can see it in the two resident theists, too. They are diverging from the religion they have been taught, too. They are just taking baby steps down the road of logic.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
29-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Secular agenda required. I will agree on that one point.

Atheist agenda is not required. Secular. Why should atheists force their lack of belief on anyone? Just because the religious do it? They kill people too, not to mention molest children on occasion. Have at her tom. Not for me though.

The only agenda I'd be personally interested in is one that demands the separation of church and anything that isn't church. I think that's pretty fair.

Everything else comes with the broadening of knowledge. Do you have kids Tom?
One thing I learned from my kid, is that if I try to force her to do what I say she might do it, but she won't like it. She will have her revenge.

As for your aggressive stance. I sort of pointed out my view on that before but I'll assume due to my lack of clarity you didn't quite understand what I meant.

I'm all for aggressiveness when it is DUE. You come up to me and get in my face and I will headbutt you into oblivion. But if you don't I'm likely to leave you alone. So the thing about Santorum, sure he deserves aggressiveness, because he is aggressive. Also he puts himself onto a platform where he is trying to force himself to get heard.
I am also all for relativity. If someone reacts better to positive attention then it's better to handle them with kid gloves. If someone is easier to handle with negative attention then by all means... everyone is different and cannot be handled the same way.

On a side note. Behavior is like a magnet. Act aggressive, expect aggressiveness. So it's sometimes a better idea to do the opposite.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post