What are the goal of the Atheist Movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-02-2012, 02:04 PM
RE: What are the goal of the Atheist Movement?
Well-said and clearly put Lucradis!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2012, 04:09 PM
(29-02-2012 01:46 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Secular agenda required. I will agree on that one point.
Good.

(29-02-2012 01:46 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Why should atheists force their lack of belief on anyone? Just because the religious do it? Have at her tom.

Because we are right until we get proved wrong. We must follow wherever the evidence takes us.
The result of having a majority think like an Atheist/Sceptic in the world would be far better than if the majority, relying on faith alone, were to continue.
As I'm sure you will agree, history is chock full of failed theocracies that did humanity no favors.

(29-02-2012 01:46 PM)lucradis Wrote:  The only agenda I'd be personally interested in is one that demands the separation of church and anything that isn't church. I think that's pretty fair.

Totally fair. Add in some equal tax revenue for the faith based ops and I am all over it.

(29-02-2012 01:46 PM)lucradis Wrote:  If someone reacts better to positive attention then it's better to handle them with kid gloves. If someone is easier to handle with negative attention then by all means... everyone is different and cannot be handled the same way.

Yes. The fire/water thing.
I still like to aim a good flame-thrower on a religious faith based position though.
You prefer to be effective as a diplomat and while I prefer to charge up the hill.
If the end result is the same, I'll buy the first victory beer. Smile

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Start a church called “The Church of No God Required” (CoNGR for short).
Members will be called “Congerians”.
Apply for tax exempt status
Hold services in your garage / basement
Have a keg for the alter, and pretzels for the breaking of bread.
Write a creed
Write a prayer
Write a list of commandments
Wear a fancy robe (an old bathrobe will do)
Wear a special hat (ball cap will do)
Sermons will consist of topics on evolution, astronomy, great human accomplishments, etc.
…and finally, invite all the religious people you know to attend your services.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
01-03-2012, 08:06 AM
I like that Thomas!

What are the goals of the upcoming Reason Rally?

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TalladegaTom's post
01-03-2012, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 06:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-03-2012 08:06 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  What are the goals of the upcoming Reason Rally?

You're quite the buzzkill, aren't you Talladega. And what kind of job does Thunderf00t have which won't permit him to go to a political rally? I mean in the USA the Hatch Act prevents me from running for office under a political party and from campaigning in the workplace, but it sure as hell don't preclude me from going to a political rally. And how is this even classified as a political rally in the first place? Thunderf00t's got a shit job.

"My concern though is that the opportunity to engage in meaningful discussions in the capital of the Western World will be wasted by the atheists who would rather engage in communal celebration and nonpolitical nonaction. The old herding of the cats problem. My fear is that the results and accomplishments when tallied will have all of the relevance of a Star Trek convention." - Thunderf00t

Valid fear, Thunderf00t. GirlyMan's agenda is to see Tim Minchin live, Girly's boys' agenda is to check out hot atheist chicks, and ManlyGirl's agenda is to make sure Girly's boys' agenda don't become GirlyMan's agenda.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post