What are the laws in the UK regarding close shifts (UK)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2012, 08:55 AM
What are the laws in the UK regarding close shifts (UK)
I recently made a post about my position of work making an incredulous claim of classing it as an absence if no one turned up to a meeting that was unpaid for and all of us being contracted 0 hours and not on salary.

I have just found out that the rota where I work has changed recently. On the friday it had changed so I was doing a 12pm-12:30am on sunday (today). Their own policy states that they should give notice of a phone call or some form of contact if any hours change within a 48hour timeframe and as they haven't I had no idea that I had the shift until recently but this is not the issue just back story.

Over the past several days I have done a 7pm-12:30am on the thursday, 6pm-3am on the friday and a 5pm-3am shift on the saturday and now they expect me to do a 12pm-12:30am today?

What are the laws in the UK regarding close shifts?
Coming off a 9hour shift to go to work 9hours later is highly ridiculous and it's very common, and indeed in many more cases even worse, doing a 3am close and opening at 10am.

What are your thoughts on this, but what does the law say on this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2012, 10:35 AM
RE: What are the laws in the UK regarding close shifts (UK)
What shit shifts!
We do 12 hour shifts here, 8am-8pm or pm-am with 7 shifts every two week pay period.
Or if you look at it like I do, two weeks off a month split up across it to stop boredom.

Dunno what the laws are there, can’t be too different from the kiwi ones.
Try your labour department, they’ll know.
Shouldn’t it be outlined in your contract though?

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply