What are the most informative, intellectual, interesting news sources you know?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2016, 07:41 AM
RE: What are the most informative, intellectual, interesting news sources you know?
PBS Newshour. It's really dry, but the deliver the news and keep their personal opinions out of it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
11-05-2016, 08:32 AM
RE: What are the most informative, intellectual, interesting news sources you know?
(11-05-2016 05:38 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  NPR is my top pick. They're pretty informative and they tend to tell both sides of the story. Despite that, they don't mince words when it comes to topics like evolution or climate change; they except that they happen and state those things as fact.

Yes. They can sometimes show bias, but it's still much less than any other national outlet I can think of off the top of my head.

(11-05-2016 05:38 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  One site I've learned to avoid (or at least take with a grain of salt) is Huffington Post. While I tend to agree with them on a lot of social issues, I've found they're very spotty on how they handle science. While they get big answers like evolution and climate change right, they get weird when it comes to stuff like vaccine woo or water fluoridation. They'll kindly link studies, hope you don't read said study, and then run a stupidly wrong op-ed.

Yeah, HuffPo, TYT, the LA Times ... these sorts of sources can sometimes wear their bias in many ways, including simple choice of story. Fox News is obviously the gold standard for the right, as well. NPR is fairly objective, and so I use that as a pointer and if I see a deeply partisan story that interests me I'll check both left- and right-wing sources on the theory that the truth will be somewhere in the middle and I will necessarily have to find it myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
11-05-2016, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2016 08:57 AM by I Am.)
Democracy Now is good for news-hour type journalism. Mother Jones is good for a broader range of topics. Chris Hedges' Real News Network is relatively new, ambitious, and getting better all the time. RNN has endorsements from Noam Chomsky and the late Howard Zinn among other celebrities and luminaries.

edit: Not really the most intellectual or informative, but the Citizen Radio podcast is co-hosted by Jamie Kilstein who performed at the Reason Rally, and one of the first journalists at Occupy Wall Street, Allison Kilkenny. They are more like-minded buds than hard-hitting news though.
11-05-2016, 09:45 AM
(11-05-2016 05:38 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(08-05-2016 10:29 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I listen to NPR. Lots of good shows with a focus ranging from close-local to global.

NPR is my top pick. They're pretty informative and they tend to tell both sides of the story. Despite that, they don't mince words when it comes to topics like evolution or climate change; they except that they happen and state those things as fact.

One site I've learned to avoid (or at least take with a grain of salt) is Huffington Post. While I tend to agree with them on a lot of social issues, I've found they're very spotty on how they handle science. While they get big answers like evolution and climate change right, they get weird when it comes to stuff like vaccine woo or water fluoridation. They'll kindly link studies, hope you don't read said study, and then run a stupidly wrong op-ed.

(08-05-2016 07:53 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  John Oliver since Jon Stewart is not on anymore. Tongue

I have a cousin who loves John Oliver and sends me links occasionally. I've enjoyed what I've seen.
Oh, I unfollowed huffington post, because they have really bad bias against bernie sanders. They practically run attack advertisements on their page about him. It's obviously just another Hilary Clinton shilling news source.