What are the real dangers a space faring nation would face?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2014, 04:05 AM
What are the real dangers a space faring nation would face?
If you like me are a big fan of Star Trek, Wing Commander and all of those tv-shows and games, where humanity have evolved enough in technology to be traveling between solar systems.
You would often have seen that the creators of such series like nothing more than to throw in one danger after another towards the crew of the space ship.

Oh we are being hunted by those bugs and are being pushed up against an asteroid belt, an explosion in subspace have fried our shields, the enemy is hiding in the nebula that makes our scanners useless etc etc etc the problems are endless.

However most of the problems in science fiction are just that fiction asteroid belts aren´t packed as close together as an ice field and nebulas aren´t anywhere close to something as dense as fog on earth.

But let’s say we DO one day evolve enough purely technologically to travel between the stars in our galaxy, just what kind of problems would we face in space?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2014, 04:45 AM
RE: What are the real dangers a space faring nation would face?
Literally watching firefly right now, as in it's in my peripheral vision right now.

It was a sci-fi show that held to a less than typical of the sci-fi issues of the past. Less of that spaceshift torpedoes and asteroid issues and more human trafficking/resource gathering issues of space colonization.

Other less touched upon issues, the effects of simulating gravity, the human body's adjustments in birth to different gravitational forces in development, and one often talked about in fear that I don't recall seeing lots of times in sci-fi; radiation.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-09-2014, 04:51 AM
Dropped calls, high data fees, out of toilet paper.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 5 users Like yakherder's post
27-09-2014, 06:45 AM
Between solar systems? Time dilation.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
27-09-2014, 06:56 AM
Unknown possibly infectious biological agents.
27-09-2014, 07:48 AM
(27-09-2014 06:56 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Unknown possibly infectious biological agents.

That all really depends on what kind of biological agents we are talking about.
I think with alien germs and such there´s not that big of a chance as our DNA might be TOO different from theirs, to be of any noticeable hazard.

An example could be our own trees you can literally have the Ebola virus injected into the tree and it wouldn´t do a thing to the tree.
Literally because the DNA build of the tree is too different for there to be any cross contamination.

Likewise with alien viruses i don´t think there´s a huge chance of them effecting us.

However alien parasites might be a different matter, we already know that parasites from animals can affect humans with a (in worst chase scenario) lethal effect.

So its a bit up in the air as to what would be able to effect us.

As for Radiation as ClydeLee mentioned i agree that could be a MAYOR hazard.
If one of our ships is caught in the firing line of a Gamma-ray burst, i think we´ll be needing some serious shields or a hull of lead the size of a planet, to prevent our crew from being fried
27-09-2014, 08:45 AM
I'd be interested to know what effects that amount of space-travel would have on the human body - if any...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
27-09-2014, 12:34 PM
To travel between the stars you would need to go a relativistic speeds(a significant portion of the speed of light). If your ship hit a micro-meteoroid half the size of a grain a sand at relativistic speeds....it would be devastating.

If human colonize other planets they will begin to speciate. Even if we are the only intelligent species in the galaxy, A future Star Trek type universe may only be a million years or so away. The different races which inhabit that future galaxy will have all descended from human kind.
27-09-2014, 02:13 PM
(27-09-2014 12:34 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  To travel between the stars you would need to go a relativistic speeds(a significant portion of the speed of light). If your ship hit a micro-meteoroid half the size of a grain a sand at relativistic speeds....it would be devastating.

If human colonize other planets they will begin to speciate. Even if we are the only intelligent species in the galaxy, A future Star Trek type universe may only be a million years or so away. The different races which inhabit that future galaxy will have all descended from human kind.

Don´t know if it will be that far away, I think NASA has found out that if you change the shape of the ring around your spaceship (the one that will get you into warp travel), you can get the energy requirements needed to travel at warp speed down from almost a galaxies worth to one of Jupiter size.

It´s still a HUGE amount of energy much more then we are able to produce with our current technology, but maybe in a few generation we will be able to come near it, given how fast technology evolves.
27-09-2014, 02:17 PM
tribbles

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRF6PksOnY-VnePyc2u2is...lH8YuwQZWA]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post