What are you doing for Christmas this year?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2016, 08:01 PM
RE: What are you doing for Christmas this year?
(04-11-2016 07:48 PM)KUSA Wrote:  We are having empty nest syndrome as 4 of 5 kids are grown up and moved out and we have no grandkids yet. Christmas is not the same anymore.

You can still enjoy it Smile I've gone away to a cabin in the woods for a romantic Christmas--just me and my bf. I've also traveled on Christmas. Grab some hot cocoa and take a drive and go look at some Christmas lights. They have this amazing Winter Wonderland display here, like a two mile thing with just Christmas lights. You might have something like that near you. You could also go out to dinner. Or cook together. Or go sledding or have a snowball fight Wink Tongue Lots of things you can do as a couple, without kids.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
04-11-2016, 08:13 PM
My oldest is just getting old enough to start really getting into Christmas and I'm already looking forward to empty nest syndrome in some ways because I'm a horrible person Tongue

Really, I do enjoy it all, but deep down that introverted half of me needs some quiet time that just doesn't happen anymore. Closest thing I get to a day off is my monthly weekend warrior vacation to Vermont. By the end of the Christmas daycare / school break, I'm about ready to go insane from the onslaught of work and child tending with no respite. I don't handle it as well as all you multi-tasking capable people.

'Murican Canadian
04-11-2016, 08:21 PM
I write three checks for Hanukkah for the children in my family. I put them in the mail, and my holiday obligations are complete.

I hate to say it because I know how much people love Christmas, but it just looks like an exhausting, expensive hassle. When it's over, the clean up looks arduous, and people complain about needing to take off holiday weight.

Do you all do a lot shopping and eating and stuff? If you're comfortable saying, how much money do you spend, or by what percentage does your monthly budget increase to pull this holiday off?
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
04-11-2016, 08:24 PM
A couple presents and a nice meal. Nothing big, because my dad despises holidays (all holidays, but especially Christmas) and we don't want to annoy him.
[+] 1 user Likes AnaBunny's post
04-11-2016, 08:29 PM
(04-11-2016 08:21 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I write three checks for Hanukkah for the children in my family. I put them in the mail, and my holiday obligations are complete.

I hate to say it because I know how much people love Christmas, but it just looks like an exhausting, expensive hassle. When it's over, the clean up looks arduous, and people complain about needing to take off holiday weight.

Do you all do a lot shopping and eating and stuff? If you're comfortable saying, how much money do you spend, or by what percentage does your monthly budget increase to pull this holiday off?

Agree!

I live far away from my family, but I send gifts to my nieces and nephews and my Mom. Nieces/nephews about $50 each and for my Mom I usually spend about $100. My boyfriend I tend to spend more because I see little things along the way that I think he'd like. We do a grab thing (Yankee Swap) at my Christmas Eve party with a cost of no more than $25 per gift. So yeah, it all adds up.

Honestly, I would rather just go stay at a cabin in the woods with my bf, make a fire in the fireplace, and exchange gifts there. Go sledding, skiing, a winter hike, that sort of thing. But my dinner party things are kind of a tradition now so we do them. And I do like spending time with my friends on Christmas Eve. Smile

And oh yeah, we eat and drink like pigs Laugh out load So more money spent!
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
04-11-2016, 08:38 PM
Too soon. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-11-2016, 09:09 PM
Go to church with Ma on the 24th, as she likes that (a tradition) ... eating at home with the family, and serving dinner at the SD shelter ... it's a ''thing" with us ... my little brother actually asked if he could come this year.

Woo ... hooo. I trained him good. My dog is coming too.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-11-2016, 09:30 PM
(04-11-2016 08:24 PM)AnaBunny Wrote:  A couple presents and a nice meal. Nothing big, because my dad despises holidays (all holidays, but especially Christmas) and we don't want to annoy him.

That's kind of sad, despite the fact that I don't believe in a god or any sort of celebration of it's nonexistent birth. You shouldn't have to creep around under the shadow of a Grinch. I'd hate to think that my children were concerned about expressing themselves in front of me.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
04-11-2016, 10:26 PM
What are you doing for Christmas this year?
(04-11-2016 08:01 PM)jennybee Wrote:  You can still enjoy it Smile I've gone away to a cabin in the woods for a romantic Christmas--just me and my bf.

We actually talked today about doing that. It's not a bad idea.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
04-11-2016, 10:32 PM
(04-11-2016 06:57 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 06:47 PM)KUSA Wrote:  We are debating putting up the tree as most of the kids are older and moved out. What are you doing?

Nothing... same as every year.

Hahahaha! Good one, Aliza.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post