What are you doing for the holidays?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2016, 07:58 PM
RE: What are you doing for the holidays?
I have no close family left, and I was never much into the traditional Christmas stuff anyway. So my plan is to just stay home and relax and enjoy the day off from work -- much like I did for Thanksgiving.

New Year's, on the other hand... I'm a boring old stick in the mud who goes to bed around 8:30 most nights, and I almost never stay up late enough on New Year's Eve to see in the new year. But 2016 has been a terrible year, and I am going to celebrate like hell when it's gone. I might even stay up until Midnight to do so.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
04-12-2016, 12:45 AM
Tomorrow is my unit Christmas party. The one time of the year I put on my ASU (dress uniform). Then I have to try and eat without messing it up.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
04-12-2016, 06:22 AM
I haven't made plans yet. We might go to a friend's house who always throws a big party on Christmas Day. Otherwise it's going to be low-key. We're not going to do Christmas presents this year except a little for my son, and we're going to take the money and use it for some fun activity during the Christmas week.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
04-12-2016, 06:59 AM
I'm gonna have a very busy Christmas holiday this year. I will have family over from The Netherlands and Canada. I've started stocking up on drink and am doing my best not to touch it before the holiday. Ok, I already took a few beers. I did promise the wife I would replace them and not take any more...Angel

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
04-12-2016, 10:51 AM
Same thing I do every year.

[Image: santa_zpsf1wlesvt.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-12-2016, 11:29 AM
(03-12-2016 07:58 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I have no close family left, and I was never much into the traditional Christmas stuff anyway. So my plan is to just stay home and relax and enjoy the day off from work -- much like I did for Thanksgiving.

New Year's, on the other hand... I'm a boring old stick in the mud who goes to bed around 8:30 most nights, and I almost never stay up late enough on New Year's Eve to see in the new year. But 2016 has been a terrible year, and I am going to celebrate like hell when it's gone. I might even stay up until Midnight to do so.

Pro tip from another stick in the mud in bed early guy: Set an alarm, get back up after a 'power nap'. You can get your sleep cycle properly fucked up to feel bad the next day. No alcohol needed Big Grin
04-12-2016, 11:30 AM
(02-12-2016 09:02 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  So much. probably too much!

3 (I think?) Parties
I host a gingerbread decorating party for my kids and friends.
I also host a christmas art event (again for kids and friends)
I volunteer with a couple organizations and they have events, so I help with those.
Caroling at the local nursing home with my Girl Scout troop.
and the typical stuff like decorate, get the tree, bake lots and lots.

Christmas eve to my SIL's, then right from there to my mom's house. Christmas morning is spent here, and I have a bunch of people over for a big dinner around 1:00.

I have to admit, I freaking love christmas and manage (really well) to ignore the religious aspects. Smile

singing the fa la las help. Lots of fa la las, and covering of ears as needed, followed by even louder FA LA LAS
04-12-2016, 11:38 AM
(03-12-2016 07:58 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  But 2016 has been a terrible year, and I am going to celebrate like hell when it's gone. I might even stay up until Midnight to do so.

That seems to me a bit like celebrating putting out the deck fire on the Titanic.

The only good thing about heading into 2017 is that the sooner we get the next few years over with, the better.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
04-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Going from house to house, whipping bad kids and breaking their fingers/

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
04-12-2016, 05:46 PM
(04-12-2016 11:38 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(03-12-2016 07:58 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  But 2016 has been a terrible year, and I am going to celebrate like hell when it's gone. I might even stay up until Midnight to do so.

That seems to me a bit like celebrating putting out the deck fire on the Titanic.

The only good thing about heading into 2017 is that the sooner we get the next few years over with, the better.

True, there's not much prospect of 2017 being an improvement, but that's too depressing to think about at this point. I'll worry about that after I celebrate the demise of 2016.