What are you doing right now?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2016, 08:28 PM
RE: What are you doing right now?
(30-08-2016 07:54 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-08-2016 07:06 PM)yakherder Wrote:  We managed to find both hazelnuts and black walnuts during our afternoon foraging. We also snatched a shitload of small, sour apples. They're probably not wild, not originally anyway, but we found the trees near an old unused logging trail and some long abandoned, crumbling cabins. They'll probably make good jelly combined with some cranberries my girlfriend froze and is looking for something to do with.

I also showed my son how to find grubs in bark and rotting wood. He wasn't too keen on trying one though, even though I told him they're kind of like nutty shrimp... He hasn't tried shrimp, though, so it was probably a bad comparison.

So right now I'm preparing the day's catch, so to speak, minus the grubs Tongue

Sour apples make the best pies... or just baked apples. (Cheat and stick one in the micro to test the flavor. Add some sugar and cinnamon as needed.)

No longer an option Tongue. My girlfriend has commandeered the process. I guess she doesn't trust my jelly making abilities. Not a problem, I enjoy the gathering more than the cooking.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Practicing guitar scales and simple improv.

30-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Eating ice cream! Drooling
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
30-08-2016, 10:12 PM
(30-08-2016 08:25 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(30-08-2016 07:55 PM)Fireball Wrote:  How big are the grubs? Maybe you can pass them off as puffed rice, if you cook 'em right. If you have the means, cooking them is better, as it will kill any weird stuff living in them.

Found quite a few different types. Some indeed about the size of rice grains, others like jumbo shrimp. Nothing like the monsters I've seen at street vendors in Eastern Asia. I wouldn't eat them raw unless I was in a real bad situation Tongue. Some insects I'll eat raw if they're easy to clean. With crickets, for example, if you just hold them with their belly facing up, grab their head, and pull, it comes off with the innards attached nice and easy along with any brain or intestinal parasites they might have.

S'what I'm saying. You have to eat to live, and it might make you sick. Cooking works wonders for that. How many parasites do snakes have? I have uncles who had to do all the survival training offered by the US. I know guys who have eaten ants/lizards/snakes to survive.
30-08-2016, 10:30 PM
I'm pretty sure they're reindeer if they're in Norway. If they were here in Canada they'd be caribou. Kind of like mountain lions, cougars and pumas. All the same critter, just different locales.

...right now I'm (taking a break from) changing the wiring harness on my dirt bike.

It occurs to me that I wouldn't have responded to this thread at all if I were just sitting in front of the tv, or taking a shit, or really doing anything uncool. Since I rarely do anything cool, I suppose this is likely to be my last post in this thread. Dodgy

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
30-08-2016, 11:15 PM
I'm watching tv and taking a shit.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
31-08-2016, 12:00 AM
(30-08-2016 04:06 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Damn, Girly, don't you ever just relax? You seem like you never just chill, brother.

I am being treated for anhedonia and psychomotor retardation. End state is catatonic. Can't chill much more than that brotherman. Thumbsup
[/quote]

Damn, I had no idea, man, I'm sorry to hear that. MDD diagnosis? PR a result of meds? Have you had electroconvulsive therapy? A psychiatrist friend here in San Antonio has had excellent results treating depressive/bipolar disorders with electroconvulsive therapy, as well as the resultant PR.
Sorry for the questions, I am an EMT and a phlebotomist, and volunteer my time at local clinics...if airplanes hadn't been invented I'd have gone to medical school, medicine fascinates me. Particularly the bizarre things our own brains can do to us. I wish we understood the brain more completely so we could cure all of these horrible diseases, like Parkinsons. I have a close friend experiencing severe bradykinesia...it's so difficult for her. All because of a drop in dopamine, essentially.

And of course, anhedonia is no fun at all. (sorry...emt humor) Blush

Sure wish I could help you, bro...seriously.
31-08-2016, 12:27 AM
Fuck all.
31-08-2016, 12:32 AM
(31-08-2016 12:27 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  Fuck all.

I tried that once but I got really sore...lots of chafing...Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
31-08-2016, 01:03 AM
Eating Taco Bell.