What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2015, 10:08 PM
RE: What are you playing?
(17-01-2015 03:51 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(17-01-2015 10:56 AM)Sam Wrote:  I've decided I can't beat them... I wasted my last humanity on something pointless, instead of kindling the bonfire.

So now, by the time I reach the wall of light to fight Ornstein and Smough, I've usually got no health flasks left. Or at best, nowhere near enough.

So now its a case of no way forward, and no way back.

Actually, I found it easy after doing a small bit of humanity farming in the Depths (the rats drop it with decent frequency) and changing the order in which I fought them.

Basic gist of it: I'm running a nearly pure melee; running around with the tower shield and a +5 fire Zweihander, which while slow does a lot of damage. I would bolt to the right, past the Sentinel in front of the Cathedral doors and either use the Dragonslayer Greatbow to eliminate it from a distance or I'd aggro it, drag it through the opening so it's friend wouldn't come backing it up, using my shield (100% physical block) to take the halberd swings until it did the shield slam, then I murdered it while it was vulnerable or if I failed goaded it into the shield slam until I did kill it. Same basic process with the other Sentinel. For the miracle Sentinels inside the Cathedral, I just stayed outside there aggro range and wrecked their day with the Dragonslayer Greatbow (you can use the Hawk Ring to increase your range further), once they're dead, I'd just rush the archer and take him head on (rather easy to parry). Safely summon Solaire, lead him down the stairs (if not, he'll just run off the edge like a retard and take unnecessary damage).

And then comes the battle: the ease of the fight depends on what order you kill them in; if you kill Ornstein first, you'll have a much easier time fighting powered-up Smough, killing Smough first leads to a far more difficult fight with Giant Orthstein.
Ornstein is a very agile foe and seems resistant to Lighting and weak to fire, his attacks are fast and he hits like a truck, add to that his fittingly colossal health pool in the second stage, and you've got an overall more difficult battle.
Smough on the other-hand is quite slow and not remotely agile, so unlike Ornstein, you don't have to worry about him evading most of your attacks and he's rather more easy to dodge. He is weak to fire like Ortstein but gains slight lightning resistance after powering up. Since he's largely non-evasive and so bulky he's easy to hit even with slow attacks.

At the start, just rush forward and drag Ortnstein away; I found it relatively easy to poise-lock him while small, and Solaire ought to easily tank first-stage Smough (or Ornstein, in fact).
Of course, it's going to be different for us, since I'm guessing your build would be rather different to mine.

You can always leave Anor Londo if you don't feel you're able to beat them at the time and head elsewhere to farm for souls or humanity; from the first Annor Londo bonfire, just head back to the bat demon and interact with it and you'll be dropped back at Sen's Fortress of sadness. In the Depths, it's rather easy to farm for hard humanity by killing the rats (equipping the Golden Serpent Ring helps).
You can also farm for liquid humanity in Anor Londo by killing the Painting Guardians; kill enough of them and you'll gain one humanity; you can do that up to ten times.

Right now I'm at the bonfire in the big palace, in the room to the left. I got there by getting up onto the windows where the Black Knight archers are, and jumping off a highish ledge (too high to jump or climb anyway), and I can't think how to get back from that point now.

I know about the bat demons that take you back to Sen's Fortress, its just getting out of the palace that I can't figure out.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2015, 10:42 PM
(22-01-2015 10:08 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(17-01-2015 03:51 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Actually, I found it easy after doing a small bit of humanity farming in the Depths (the rats drop it with decent frequency) and changing the order in which I fought them.

Basic gist of it: I'm running a nearly pure melee; running around with the tower shield and a +5 fire Zweihander, which while slow does a lot of damage. I would bolt to the right, past the Sentinel in front of the Cathedral doors and either use the Dragonslayer Greatbow to eliminate it from a distance or I'd aggro it, drag it through the opening so it's friend wouldn't come backing it up, using my shield (100% physical block) to take the halberd swings until it did the shield slam, then I murdered it while it was vulnerable or if I failed goaded it into the shield slam until I did kill it. Same basic process with the other Sentinel. For the miracle Sentinels inside the Cathedral, I just stayed outside there aggro range and wrecked their day with the Dragonslayer Greatbow (you can use the Hawk Ring to increase your range further), once they're dead, I'd just rush the archer and take him head on (rather easy to parry). Safely summon Solaire, lead him down the stairs (if not, he'll just run off the edge like a retard and take unnecessary damage).

And then comes the battle: the ease of the fight depends on what order you kill them in; if you kill Ornstein first, you'll have a much easier time fighting powered-up Smough, killing Smough first leads to a far more difficult fight with Giant Orthstein.
Ornstein is a very agile foe and seems resistant to Lighting and weak to fire, his attacks are fast and he hits like a truck, add to that his fittingly colossal health pool in the second stage, and you've got an overall more difficult battle.
Smough on the other-hand is quite slow and not remotely agile, so unlike Ornstein, you don't have to worry about him evading most of your attacks and he's rather more easy to dodge. He is weak to fire like Ortstein but gains slight lightning resistance after powering up. Since he's largely non-evasive and so bulky he's easy to hit even with slow attacks.

At the start, just rush forward and drag Ortnstein away; I found it relatively easy to poise-lock him while small, and Solaire ought to easily tank first-stage Smough (or Ornstein, in fact).
Of course, it's going to be different for us, since I'm guessing your build would be rather different to mine.

You can always leave Anor Londo if you don't feel you're able to beat them at the time and head elsewhere to farm for souls or humanity; from the first Annor Londo bonfire, just head back to the bat demon and interact with it and you'll be dropped back at Sen's Fortress of sadness. In the Depths, it's rather easy to farm for hard humanity by killing the rats (equipping the Golden Serpent Ring helps).
You can also farm for liquid humanity in Anor Londo by killing the Painting Guardians; kill enough of them and you'll gain one humanity; you can do that up to ten times.

Right now I'm at the bonfire in the big palace, in the room to the left. I got there by getting up onto the windows where the Black Knight archers are, and jumping off a highish ledge (too high to jump or climb anyway), and I can't think how to get back from that point now.

I know about the bat demons that take you back to Sen's Fortress, its just getting out of the palace that I can't figure out.

You know the huge room just before the O&S Tag Team Extravaganza? If you head to the side opposite the fog door, you'll find a big normal door with a contraption next to it; use that and it'll open the way back to the outside world.
Alternatively, in the same huge-ass hall, you can head up either flight of stairs and find yourself a broken window which will allow you to get a thing (I think it's a weapon, can't remember) and allow you to leave; but I wouldn't recommend that until the Cathedral door is open, because you'll have to brave those fucking archers once more to get back in if it isn't.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
22-01-2015, 10:51 PM
AW: RE: What are you playing?
(22-01-2015 10:42 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 10:08 PM)Sam Wrote:  Right now I'm at the bonfire in the big palace, in the room to the left. I got there by getting up onto the windows where the Black Knight archers are, and jumping off a highish ledge (too high to jump or climb anyway), and I can't think how to get back from that point now.

You know the huge room just before the O&S Tag Team Extravaganza? If you head to the side opposite the fog door, you'll find a big normal door with a contraption next to it; use that and it'll open the way back to the outside world.
Alternatively, in the same huge-ass hall, you can head up either flight of stairs and find yourself a broken window which will allow you to get a thing (I think it's a weapon, can't remember) and allow you to leave; but I wouldn't recommend that until the Cathedral door is open, because you'll have to brave those fucking archers once more to get back in if it isn't.
I'm pretty sure that you can find the Dragonslayer Greatbow outside of that broken window.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
22-01-2015, 11:01 PM
(22-01-2015 10:51 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 10:42 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  You know the huge room just before the O&S Tag Team Extravaganza? If you head to the side opposite the fog door, you'll find a big normal door with a contraption next to it; use that and it'll open the way back to the outside world.

I'm pretty sure that you can find the Dragonslayer Greatbow outside of that broken window.

Thought so.

Love that bow, though. Any time my Longsword or Zweihander can't deal with a problem, the Greatbow most assuredly can.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-01-2015, 05:46 AM
Playing Dragon Age Inquisition. Surprisingly really fun and WAY better than dragon age 2. Small redemption for bioware. Good on ya guys.

So far only real complaint is lack of storage for items.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
23-01-2015, 11:10 AM
(22-01-2015 10:42 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 10:08 PM)Sam Wrote:  Right now I'm at the bonfire in the big palace, in the room to the left. I got there by getting up onto the windows where the Black Knight archers are, and jumping off a highish ledge (too high to jump or climb anyway), and I can't think how to get back from that point now.

Ah... I never knew that.

Cheers. Big Grin

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
23-01-2015, 11:18 AM
(23-01-2015 11:10 AM)Sam Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 10:42 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  You know the huge room just before the O&S Tag Team Extravaganza? If you head to the side opposite the fog door, you'll find a big normal door with a contraption next to it; use that and it'll open the way back to the outside world.

Ah... I never knew that.

Cheers. Big Grin

My pleasure.

Now I have to head off back to the Tomb of Giants to farm 30 humanity for the Chaos Servant covenant... Must open that short-cut before I press further.

23-01-2015, 11:23 AM
(23-01-2015 11:18 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(23-01-2015 11:10 AM)Sam Wrote:  Ah... I never knew that.

Cheers. Big Grin

My pleasure.

Now I have to head off back to the Tomb of Giants to farm 30 humanity for the Chaos Servant covenant... Must open that short-cut before I press further.

Probably my favorite area in Dark Souls... Really tense, fighting in pitch darkness.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
23-01-2015, 11:26 AM
(23-01-2015 05:46 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Playing Dragon Age Inquisition. Surprisingly really fun and WAY better than dragon age 2. Small redemption for bioware. Good on ya guys.

So far only real complaint is lack of storage for items.

There's a perk for 15 more slots (or some such). Unfortunately for me, one of the PC's fan is borked and out of stock, so my Inquisition and FC4 are on hold.

On the plus side, the 360 works fine, maybe I'll give that dark souls a try - although you cats aren't very encouraging. Big Grin

living word
23-01-2015, 11:55 AM
(23-01-2015 11:23 AM)Sam Wrote:  
(23-01-2015 11:18 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  My pleasure.

Probably my favourite area in Dark Souls... Really tense, fighting in pitch darkness.

I hate the Tomb, and so do most people on the internet, it seems.

The darkness is a cool aesthetic, but, combined with the retardedly powerful Skeleton Beasts is just begging for rage.
I would complain that the game gives you no hint about the existence of the lamps, but it is Dark Souls we are talking about...

There are worse areas though; Blighttwon for instance. Even on the consoles, for which the game was optimised, it is horribly laggy...