What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2015, 07:43 PM
RE: What are you playing?
Oh Child of Light is free this month. So that's excite.

Also, I just can't get over how good Dark Souls 2 is.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2015, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2015 10:05 PM by EvolutionKills.)
Anno 2070

[Image: 1334266472-00.jpg]

It's... different.

Also, I just finished these two.

[Image: Kitty_Kat.png]

[Image: SplinterCellBlakclistWallpaper.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
03-04-2015, 10:13 PM
(03-04-2015 10:01 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Anno 2070

It's... different.

I've been tempted to buy Anno 2070 for a while now.

Your opinion, sir?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
03-04-2015, 10:45 PM
(03-04-2015 10:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 10:01 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Anno 2070

It's... different.

I've been tempted to buy Anno 2070 for a while now.

Your opinion, sir?

Well, I'm about 8 hours in, and about half-way through the campaign; which is itself an extended tutorial (and not ever a good one at that).

I spent about half of this time retrying one mission over and over again because the game chose to gate off game mechanics until an arbitrary time later and did fuck all to explain what was going wrong.

It's mostly a development and resource management game with very light RTS combat (I didn't get my first combat until until half-way through the second of three Acts in the campaign).

I'd suggest you pay very close attention to the quest descriptions while you're playing, and never do more than what they ask you to. It doesn't matter that you can stretch across and colonize the whole island and give you the tools to do so, they only need X amount of settlers to complete Y research objective, and any more than that will lead to cost overruns and mass depopulation whenever your only food supply gets poisoned (except they don't even make that clear) as part of an arbitrary quest and won't be fixed until another later arbitrary quest.

Seriously, I was working with 2 of the game's 3 factions. I had started to colonize the island with both Eco and Tech population, both of which eat fish. However the Eco are fish only, while the Tech also eat food produced by underwater kelp farms (which is pretty fucking cool, the game has underwater development). The map had me building up the kelp farms, but the entire time I had access to both faction's units, and was building housing for both. Then one of the Tech units complained about the fish tasty funny, and making me build a hospital to cure the affected housing. Built the hospital and crisis over, right? Wrong! Turns out that now all of the fish are ROTTEN! Nothing to indicate that this is the case, as the only difference between a Fresh Fish icon and a Rotten Fish icon is that one is greenish blue and the other is blueish green. So whenever my food supplies started to run low, I built more Fishing Harbors, which did fuck all because they were just catching more uneatable Rotten Fish, and not a damn single thing in the game did anything to alert me to this fact. So because of zero access to the only food source they can survive on, my entire Eco population collapsed, and my Tech's could survive but were not satisfied with only half of their diet, preventing them from upgrading from Lab Assistants to Researchers and the vastly increased tax revenue they generate. Until an arbitrary quest later in the map had me developing an antidote, which cleared up the Rotten Fish in the sea and allowed me to catch fresh fish again. Also, the ability to research this upgrade was arbitrarily locked because the series of quests, forcing me to jump through hoops until the game decided it was time to fix the fish problem. You know, instead of immediately curing our primary food source, which seems kinda fucking important!

So yeah, the game can be a royal bitch.

I'm sure muffs would enjoy it.

03-04-2015, 10:48 PM
(03-04-2015 10:45 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 10:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I've been tempted to buy Anno 2070 for a while now.

Your opinion, sir?

Well, I'm about 8 hours in, and about half-way through the campaign; which is itself an extended tutorial (and not ever a good one at that).

I spent about half of this time retrying one mission over and over again because the game chose to gate off game mechanics until an arbitrary time later and did fuck all to explain what was going wrong.

It's mostly a development and resource management game with very light RTS combat (I didn't get my first combat until until half-way through the second of three Acts in the campaign).

I'd suggest you pay very close attention to the quest descriptions while you're playing, and never do more than what they ask you to. It doesn't matter that you can stretch across and colonize the whole island and give you the tools to do so, they only need X amount of settlers to complete Y research objective, and any more than that will lead to cost overruns and mass depopulation whenever your only food supply gets poisoned (except they don't even make that clear) as part of an arbitrary quest and won't be fixed until another later arbitrary quest.

Seriously, I was working with 2 of the game's 3 factions. I had started to colonize the island with both Eco and Tech population, both of which eat fish. However the Eco are fish only, while the Tech also eat food produced by underwater kelp farms (which is pretty fucking cool, the game has underwater development). The map had me building up the kelp farms, but the entire time I had access to both faction's units, and was building housing for both. Then one of the Tech units complained about the fish tasty funny, and making me build a hospital to cure the affected housing. Built the hospital and crisis over, right? Wrong! Turns out that now all of the fish are ROTTEN! Nothing to indicate that this is the case, as the only difference between a Fresh Fish icon and a Rotten Fish icon is that one is greenish blue and the other is blueish green. So whenever my food supplies started to run low, I built more Fishing Harbors, which did fuck all because they were just catching more uneatable Rotten Fish, and not a damn single thing in the game did anything to alert me to this fact. So because of zero access to the only food source they can survive on, my entire Eco population collapsed, and my Tech's could survive but were not satisfied with only half of their diet, preventing them from upgrading from Lab Assistants to Researchers and the vastly increased tax revenue they generate. Until an arbitrary quest later in the map had me developing an antidote, which cleared up the Rotten Fish in the sea and allowed me to catch fresh fish again. Also, the ability to research this upgrade was arbitrarily locked because the series of quests, forcing me to jump through hoops until the game decided it was time to fix the fish problem. You know, instead of immediately curing our primary food source, which seems kinda fucking important!

Ah, think I'll pass on Anno then.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
03-04-2015, 10:58 PM
(03-04-2015 04:13 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  3 was my favorite because it is a balanced gears one.

lol.

just lol.
03-04-2015, 11:04 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2015 11:11 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(02-04-2015 08:01 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(01-04-2015 05:07 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Anyone playing Bloodborne?

[Image: tumblr_nlymrdY58d1t6xtc8o1_r1_540.gif]

hnnnnnnng.

It took me 10 minutes to slap that werewolf to death. I then managed to kill three hobos in an alley with more judo chops. I thought it was insanely difficult, but apparently I should have died and got weapons when I faced the first enemy.

Werewolf?

[Image: MH4SizeChart.png]

04-04-2015, 07:20 AM
(03-04-2015 10:45 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 10:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I've been tempted to buy Anno 2070 for a while now.

Your opinion, sir?

I've played all the Anno games a fair amount.
They're weird. They're a city builder with, as you say, light RTS elements.
The issue is that if you're after a city building they're not very good and if you're after an rts they're horrible.
The problem for me is that you're trapped on an island and you don't have much room to really expand. Sure you can expand on other islands but I just find it annoying.

If you're after an arcady city building game The Settlers series is better.
Though that too is limited for a city builder. Best to just stick with Sim City 4, Cities XL Platinum and Cities: Skylines for the city building. Oh and Zeus/Poseidon and Pharaoh/Cleopatra are good too for non-modern city builders.

04-04-2015, 07:31 AM
(04-04-2015 07:20 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 10:45 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Well, I'm about 8 hours in, and about half-way through the campaign; which is itself an extended tutorial (and not ever a good one at that).

I've played all the Anno games a fair amount.
The issue is that if you're after a city building they're not very good and if you're after an rts they're horrible.
The problem for me is that you're trapped on an island and you don't have much room to really expand. Sure you can expand on other islands but I just find it annoying.

Though that too is limited for a city builder. Best to just stick with Sim City 4, Cities XL Platinum and Cities: Skylines for the city building. Oh and Zeus/Poseidon and Pharaoh/Cleopatra are good too for non-modern city builders.

While we are on the topic of city builders: XL or Skylines?

Additionally, has anybody seen this before? http://www.pcgamer.com/the-strange-tale-...one-house/

04-04-2015, 07:59 AM
(04-04-2015 07:31 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(04-04-2015 07:20 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I've played all the Anno games a fair amount.

While we are on the topic of city builders: XL or Skylines?

Additionally, has anybody seen this before? http://www.pcgamer.com/the-strange-tale-...one-house/

Ugggggggggggg.. XL or Skylines.. Consider That's tough.
XL has a larger learning curve but it's more realistic and you can create much larger cities and much more realistic looking cities. It's also more work, it takes a lot more effort compared to Skylines. Skylines is more streamlined. Almost arcady but not quite. There is much fewer buildings and once you get to a certain point most buildings become obsolete. It's also a blatant copy of Sim City 4, if you've played SC4 and you play Skylines you'll know what I'm talking about. However, Skylines is easier and more.. relaxing (for lack of knowing how to explain it) and it doesn't get all that in depth.

I'm gonna say XL. It's a more in depth game, harder to learn but more rewarding and you can create realistic cities.
Don't get XXL, it was apparently rubbish and basically XL with a new interface and more buggy.

Lol at that link.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post