What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2015, 07:27 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2015 07:34 AM by Free Thought.)
RE: What are you playing?
(07-04-2015 06:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-04-2015 06:20 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Muffs, people use ultra greatswords for three reasons: generally large range and massive damage potential to health and poise. I'll take a weapon which does tonnes of poise damage but is slow over a lighter weapon which does less, because it's almost guaranteed to allow me to stun-lock my opponent and get them a good few hits in, if not kill them outright.

For reference, that Smelter set is really not worth it's cost, unless you want fire defence. Only the helmet is really worth while, as it provides the greatest amount of defence of any helmet, and works well with Havel's Set, which is the the heaviest, most defensive armour set in the game, barring the helmet for prior stated reasons.
to me, the biggest draw-back of the Smelter set is that the upgrade cost in terms of resources is astronomical for what really is minute pay-off at best.

It was rather cheap. It cost IIRC around 35k souls for the whole set. In comparison my stat upgrades cost 20K. It's only about 10-20 minutes of soul farming anyway, no biggy. I agree the upgrade costs are very high though, I'd rather use my twinkling rocks for weapon upgrades.

I've been trying to get the Havel set, I want that shield bad, sick of using my old knight shield or gyrm great shield. But those two giant things you need to kill to get the key are proving rather annoying to kill. I'm gonna give them another crack tomorrow though, might sit back in a corner somewhere and poison arrow them to death or something.

Regarding greatswords. How easy is it to actually stun lock enemies though because I haven't had much luck. I dunno, maybe I need to upgrade one of my greatswords (my axe is +5 afterall) to see the effects. It would prove useful against multiple enemies which do tend to fuck me up.

What' a good/the best greatsword? (chances are I probably have it).

I doubt there's really a 'best' greatsword.
In my greatsword playthroughs I used Bastard and Drangleic swords and the claymore for standard greatswords; they are all pretty much smack in the middle of greatswords between power and speed, but the Drangleic sword if I recall is a little different in it's moveset... My Ultra greatswords of choice are the Zweihander, Greatsword and the Smelter sword.

Stunlocking is pretty easy, assuming you hit your target, and depending on their poise; every time you hit an enemy, a certain amount is taken off their poise, once it is depleted, they enter the stagger animation and are free to be locked into it. Weapons dealing high amounts of damage, like greatswords and their ultra counterparts, great axes and great hammers will drain poise faster, even if the attacks themselves are slower, so long as they hit... and the receiver survives the necessary barrage...
That said, most enemies you can stagger in my experience tend to die before they do get staggered, Phantoms excluded, of course.

regarding the Giants; it's best to engage them at extreme range, I prefer to use greatbows for the job, because it's a fucking greatbow. If you do fight up close with them, I find it's best to ignore the shield and get your rolls right.

And yeah, Havel's shield is a pretty damn good shield, but I prefer the Tower shield. It's not as good as Havel's in terms of overall defences, it still has 100% physical block and is considerably lighter with close to the same stability, which I think is a good trade for the elemental resistances.

[Edit: sidenote] I would highly recommend that you play around with Orma's and Reeve's shields when you get the chance.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Ok yea I'm sold on greatswords now. I have a +10 Zweihander that I slapped a bolt thingy on so it does 259 physical and 259 lightning damage, which considering I've gone for faith which boosts lightning is pretty good IMO.

Wearing fully Havel including the shield (just got it, the giants turned out to be incredibly easy, just sit in the chest room at the back and fire a couple poison arrows their way, which reminds OMG poison arrows are amazballs.). I have fully havel, my zweihander, the havel greatshield, chime, a bow and 4 rings and I'm at 69.8% encumbered ><

I did just get Orma's shield (dropped from a phantom in the Black Gulch just before I killed the giants and got Havels gear) but haven't used it yet. Stability I have discovered is a huge factor, reduces the amount of stamina required to block and can force them to stagger, brilliant. I'll have to play around with Orma's.

I'm up to the boss that guards Vendrick. Just going back and killing the two optional bosses I missed in the Gutter and Gulch.

[Image: oscar.png]
11-04-2015, 06:38 AM
Finally got BloodBorne 2 days ago. Beat it this night; true ending. Hnnnng at the soundtrack, especially Cleric beasts theme.
11-04-2015, 07:55 AM
With the price drop I can get my hands on some games I've been wanting to play for some time. Just started Assassins Creed 4, seems as good as I hoped!

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-04-2015, 08:19 AM
(11-04-2015 06:38 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Finally got BloodBorne 2 days ago. Beat it this night; true ending. Hnnnng at the soundtrack, especially Cleric beasts theme.
But by fuck is that a difficult game! I never played any of the dark souls but I never expected it to be this hard. I prefer to avoid help with games but I eventually had to 'ring the bell' and some player turned up to help me dispose of father Gascoigne.

Making better progress now but how you could finish this in 2 days I'll never know. I spent 4 evenings of a few hours each before I finally got round to unlocking the left hand gate near the first lamp. It was driving me insane. I genuinely thought I had been beaten by a game before really starting it.

Using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes TubbyTubby's post
11-04-2015, 09:02 AM
The heck with that hard stuff. Tongue

Season 3 of Diablo 3. Wink

living word
11-04-2015, 10:06 AM
(11-04-2015 08:19 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 06:38 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Finally got BloodBorne 2 days ago. Beat it this night; true ending. Hnnnng at the soundtrack, especially Cleric beasts theme.
But by fuck is that a difficult game! I never played any of the dark souls but I never expected it to be this hard. I prefer to avoid help with games but I eventually had to 'ring the bell' and some player turned up to help me dispose of father Gascoigne.

Making better progress now but how you could finish this in 2 days I'll never know. I spent 4 evenings of a few hours each before I finally got round to unlocking the left hand gate near the first lamp. It was driving me insane. I genuinely thought I had been beaten by a game before really starting it.

Don't forget to upgrade your weapons. Best way to increase damage output is by upgrade your weapons or getting better ones.

Bloodborne is the first game I'm sour about that it isn't on xbone.
It's about time ps4 got a decent exclusive though.

60hours played on my Dark Souls character and just got up to the King. Haven't finished the main game yet let alone the DLC let alone 1,000/1,000 achievement the game. Compare that to Far Cry 4 which took me 22hours or so to completely 1,000/1,000 (or near enough, the multiplayer one wasn't working for me) that game which basically required you do everything.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
11-04-2015, 11:57 AM
(06-04-2015 08:32 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Lvl 111 on dark Souls 2. Just got full Smelter set:

[Image: Smelter%20Demon%20Set.jpg]

Something I don't get is, when it shows the phantoms of the players everyone seems to be using large greatswords or halberds. I don't get it, they're too slow and you get hit way too much. I prefer my crescent dragon axe thingy, a 1handed lightning axe. It packs a hell of a punch, it's speedy and I can get a couple hits in and than raise my greatshield back up before being hit. 3 hits of 160physical/60lighting damage seems far far better than 1 hit of 213 physical damage. In saying that, I totally get why people use the spear, being able to attack and defend at the same time is amazballs. Pitty my all my spears/lance suck balls damage wise and my dex is only at 20 because I'm doing a strength build not a dex build.

I liked the gigantic horns on the Smelter helm, but I couldn't get past the anus face.

As far as greatswords and halberds, I'm not a fan of most of the greatswords, but the Mastodon halberd is an excellent strength weapon, IMO. I also tend to like the greataxes, especially the drakekeeper's.

My first playthrough of DkS2 I used the Mastodon halberd for a long time and then took a liking to using the Gyrm Greathammer in right hand and the broadsword for quick attacks in left.
11-04-2015, 07:39 PM
I don't get duel wielding (well I get it, I just don't get why people do it), having a shield is so handy. Rolling can be pretty unreliable at times where as 100% damage reduction in exchange for some minor stamina "damage" is very reliable with the exception of a couple boss attacks and a couple enemy attacks (such as those big ogre things).
You also need space to roll.

Side note, it is taking so friggin long to 'level' up right now. I'm 158, soul level 2.5million give or take 100k, on my first play through.
There's nothing left to kill and it costs 35K+ to add 1 attribute point.

11-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Well for me, I put 300+ hours into the first Dark Souls and had played out the sword and shield play-style with a couple characters, and I found an agile, dodgy strength build to be really fun. I usually carried around a decent shield to switch to just in case, though. I'm currently on my first play-through of Scholar of the First Sin (put a couple hundred in DkS2 as well), and I'm building him to be a big sword/shield Str/Faith dude.

Yeah, at high levels leveling up can be a grind. Have you gone to NG+ yet? (Having trouble remembering what level I usually got to before going to NG+)