What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2015, 08:07 PM
RE: What are you playing?
(25-04-2015 07:39 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(25-04-2015 07:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Trying RTW as Carthage.
Not going too well... My forays into the Carthaginian experience never do...

Note to self: never expect Iberian infantry to do fucking anything at all aside from be a mass of worthless cowards.
I mean, come on! Losing to same-level Gaulic Warbands? Who the fuck loses to Warbands?! Especially when you have numerical superiority!!
losing to the Histati I can understand; they are Roman troops (which are almost universally op), they can hardly be blamed, but fucking Warbands?

This game has blown my mind.

I wonder if Iberians would lose to Eastern Infantry too... They might just be the worst infantry in the entire fucking game...

Dude. If you're playing the original RTW, no matter the difficulty... Cavalry - is - OVERPOWERED. Just get a fuckload of the Roundshield cavalry or if you can the Longshield ones, and you're set. Barbarian factions can't build stone walls, so there's that problem eliminated. Just charge home and batter them the fuck out. As for the Romans and Greeks; Longshield cavalry and elephants. Lots of elephants. And don't forget to farm your generals for xp, that's the key to win any battle. For Carthage, this is the only thing that works for me. CA made a shit job of making Carthage the real rivals that they actually were to the early Roman Republic. Their infantry just sucks in general.

(PS: Take a fleet with a sizeable army on it and destroy Egypt from the Nile delta ASAP. They're always a bitch late game after the Romans have bit the dust)

I've tried the cavalry horde, and it works fine; very good for early blitzing the Romans.

Unfortunately, things didn't go that way for me this game...
My economy is in the toilet, half my settlements are on the edge of revolt due to the my inability to fund expansion, the Julii took Sardinia and are pressuring the woefully defended Palma, the Spanish and Gaul dogs are baying at Corduba's gates, the Scipii keep landing reinforcements to take back Sicily and the Numidians are at my throat too.

Frankly, the demon that is Egypt is the least of my concerns... If I can somehow manage to turn things around and take down the Scipii at least, I'll be able to handle them.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2015, 08:14 PM
(25-04-2015 08:07 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(25-04-2015 07:39 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Dude. If you're playing the original RTW, no matter the difficulty... Cavalry - is - OVERPOWERED. Just get a fuckload of the Roundshield cavalry or if you can the Longshield ones, and you're set. Barbarian factions can't build stone walls, so there's that problem eliminated. Just charge home and batter them the fuck out. As for the Romans and Greeks; Longshield cavalry and elephants. Lots of elephants. And don't forget to farm your generals for xp, that's the key to win any battle. For Carthage, this is the only thing that works for me. CA made a shit job of making Carthage the real rivals that they actually were to the early Roman Republic. Their infantry just sucks in general.

(PS: Take a fleet with a sizeable army on it and destroy Egypt from the Nile delta ASAP. They're always a bitch late game after the Romans have bit the dust)

I've tried the cavalry horde, and it works fine; very good for early blitzing the Romans.

My economy is in the toilet, half my settlements are on the edge of revolt due to the my inability to fund expansion, the Julii took Sardinia and are pressuring the woefully defended Palma, the Spanish and Gaul dogs are baying at Corduba's gates, the Scipii keep landing reinforcements to take back Sicily and the Numidians are at my throat too.

Frankly, the demon that is Egypt is the least of my concerns... If I can somehow manage to turn things around and take down the Scipii at least, I'll be able to handle them.

I'll give you credit; I would have ragequitted in your position.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
25-04-2015, 08:35 PM
(25-04-2015 08:14 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(25-04-2015 08:07 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I've tried the cavalry horde, and it works fine; very good for early blitzing the Romans.

I'll give you credit; I would have ragequitted in your position.

I'm damn close to that myself...

On my last save, the Scippii were besieging Messana, with not much I can practically do about it. Last time I dealt with is was pure luck, and it left me crippled too... even more so, I should say.

Here's what I'm thinking:
Employ some good old fashioned Scorched Earth: raze Messana while I still have it, use what I can to build up a horde and go land an army in Julii territory; exterminate, raze and abandon, maybe sell, their core cities if I can.

If it goes well, it should bring in enough money to get me out of the toilet, for the time being at least...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
26-04-2015, 06:00 AM
Just installed Gary Grigsby's War in the East on my computer.
Mowahaha, let the hipster in my unleash. This game is perhaps the single most confusing/in-depth game I've ever played. This isn't a ww2 game, this is a fucking simulator and a detailed as hell one at that.
It gives you complete control of the entire eastern front, German or Soviet (though it offers smaller parts scenarios). 10miles per hex, the whole front. Giving complete control right down to the brigade level.

[Image: oscar.png]
26-04-2015, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2015 06:38 AM by Free Thought.)
(26-04-2015 06:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just installed Gary Grigsby's War in the East on my computer.
Mowahaha, let the hipster in my unleash. This game is perhaps the single most confusing/in-depth game I've ever played. This isn't a ww2 game, this is a fucking simulator and a detailed as hell one at that.
It gives you complete control of the entire eastern front, German or Soviet (though it offers smaller parts scenarios). 10miles per hex, the whole front. Giving complete control right down to the brigade level.

Yabut, does it give you the option to pillage your own hexes as resource-prevention?

26-04-2015, 05:01 PM
(26-04-2015 06:23 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(26-04-2015 06:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just installed Gary Grigsby's War in the East on my computer.

Yabut, does it give you the option to pillage your own hexes as resource-prevention?

I honestly have no idea.
Probably not. Though you could maybe bomb your own hexes.

26-04-2015, 05:29 PM
(26-04-2015 05:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(26-04-2015 06:23 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Yabut, does it give you the option to pillage your own hexes as resource-prevention?

I honestly have no idea.

Awww....
I wonder if you are subject to the infamous Order 277 and the German equivalent... That would be interesting.

Oh, I looked up that game of yours; Amazon has it down for $99.99... Where'd you find it?

26-04-2015, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2015 10:19 PM by earmuffs.)
(26-04-2015 05:29 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(26-04-2015 05:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I honestly have no idea.

Awww....
I wonder if you are subject to the infamous Order 277 and the German equivalent... That would be interesting.

Oh, I looked up that game of yours; Amazon has it down for $99.99... Where'd you find it?

The pirate bay.

The game is pretty much the Germans pushing into the USSR and than the Soviets getting their shit together and eventually pushing the Germans back out.
So as Germany you need to advance quick and decisive enough to push the Soviets far enough back that you can claim enough victory points (usually in the form of cities) and route and force surrender as much of the Soviet army as possible and than defend against the inevitable Soviet counter attack.
And if you play the Soviets you need to hold the Germans off long enough to mount a proper effective counter attack and than launch a successful counter attack.

30-04-2015, 12:00 AM
Just finished one of the easier missions.

From this: (sorry about image quality, not my photo)
[Image: 20110224174220.jpg]

To this:
[Image: ggwite1.jpg]

in three turns.
I kill just over 20,000 Soviet solders, wounded just over 75,000 and captured just over 344,000.
And for the cost of just under 5,000 killed Axis's soldiers (though it's just Germany in this particular scenario), 138 German's captured and just over 10,000 wounded.

And in the air war I managed to destroy 1,826 of their aircraft (mostly fighter bombers but also some larger bombers and some recon aircraft) for the cost of only 105 of my aircraft (mostly tactical bombers as I pushed further into Russia and forgot to bring my airfields forward meaning the tactical bombers lost fighter support for a little while). In the end they only had about 300 aircraft in operation compared to about the 1,500 I had. Managed to destroy pretty much all of their aircraft in the open move. Bombed out their airfields.

Pretty much used infantry to breakthrough their lines and make holes that my panzers and motorized infantry could than exploit and use to get behind and encircle the Soviet troops. Once they're isolated in a pocket they can easily be defeated and forced to surrender. The only real resistance I got was some paratrooper troops in the swamp that proved annoying. At least until I rolled a panzer division up their backside and squashed them like bugs.

Good times.

30-04-2015, 12:55 AM
(30-04-2015 12:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just finished one of the easier missions.

From this: (sorry about image quality, not my photo)
[Image: 20110224174220.jpg]

To this:
[Image: ggwite1.jpg]

in three turns.
I kill just over 20,000 Soviet solders, wounded just over 75,000 and captured just over 344,000.
And for the cost of just under 5,000 killed Axis's soldiers (though it's just Germany in this particular scenario), 138 German's captured and just over 10,000 wounded.

And in the air war I managed to destroy 1,826 of their aircraft (mostly fighter bombers but also some larger bombers and some recon aircraft) for the cost of only 105 of my aircraft (mostly tactical bombers as I pushed further into Russia and forgot to bring my airfields forward meaning the tactical bombers lost fighter support for a little while). In the end they only had about 300 aircraft in operation compared to about the 1,500 I had. Managed to destroy pretty much all of their aircraft in the open move. Bombed out their airfields.

Pretty much used infantry to breakthrough their lines and make holes that my panzers and motorized infantry could than exploit and use to get behind and encircle the Soviet troops. Once they're isolated in a pocket they can easily be defeated and forced to surrender. The only real resistance I got was some paratrooper troops in the swamp that proved annoying. At least until I rolled a panzer division up their backside and squashed them like bugs.

Good times.

No, no Muffs; you have it backward.

German SOP was to have Panzer divisions punch holes in the enemy lines first, then have Mechanised infantry move through and hold the gap for regular units.

You dare besmirch the German methodology?!