What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2015, 07:20 AM
RE: What are you playing?
So... we think Mass Effect 4 is gonna be announced at E3 this year?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2015, 07:37 AM
(10-06-2015 07:20 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So... we think Mass Effect 4 is gonna be announced at E3 this year?

No and I kinda hope it never is.

I'm not sure they have much more room to manoeuvre for a new game unless they decide to flesh out past lore, like the Relay 314 Incident, or a side-story to events of one of the main games.

I can't see how they'd get away with making a sequel to 3...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
10-06-2015, 11:12 AM
(10-06-2015 03:10 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So, I got Total War: Medieval II recently and started playing.

Things are going relatively well for me until... The fucking Scots invade. And then the French.

I'm not concerned about the French, my fortress of Caen can deal with those little creatures. However, the Scots are a different issue entirely. They already took York from me in a surprise assault.

Now that I've finally managed to get something together to fight those barbarians off, the Pope demands that I stop fighting them and proceeds to threaten me with excommunication!

Fuck you too, Pope! I'm taking my land back and then I'm going to exterminate the Scot capitol for spite.

Edit: turns out I wont, since Spain then invaded Ireland...

The Scots attack you? Fuck it man, the Scots are useless. Really. The only thing that ever keeps me from crushing them in the start is because the pope gets a hissy fit, and there are very slim chances the Papal States will ever ally with you due to you being so far away. Your diplomats will never reach those monkeys in time anyway since you're busy preventing the French from taking over Normandy (they also get a hissy fit over that). No, your REAL problems are four factions: Denmark, Portugal, THRE, and Milan.

Denmark will spam to take anything in the Antwerp Region, and will also attack York if they can via the sea. Therefore, fortify York, Nottingham and Edinburgh just in case. You should also keep some cavalry units, Merchant Cavalry or Generals in London so they can quickly respond to any threat around Belgium and disembark nearby.

Portugal, a useless and always poor as hell faction will always attempt to take Caernavon. The first attack will be the strongest, but they grow weaker and weaker every time they stupidly disembark with a military force. Why stupid? They always order their ships to LEAVE shore back to the mainland, dooming their attack force if it even slightly loses (Denmark does the same, but not every single time). They're not much of a problem. They might attack Dublin, but they have little success there either.

The Holy Roman Empire will attack Antwerp in the same way Denmark does, with the same mix of Castle and City units. Keep a steady force of Spear Militia in both settlements in that region, plus a general, and they'll lose over and over again.

Milan will become a problem when you have taken most of France from it's rightful owners. They'll spam endless armies of Pavise Crossbowmen and catapults. Use cavalry to defeat them, always fortify your cities and castles. If you can hide troops in nearby woods, hidden from the enemies radar, do so.

As for the pope, try to build a Cathedral in your cities ASAP. Cathedrals spawn Bishops instead of Priests, and damn near guarantees your Bishops of becoming Cardinals. Eventually, your religious agents will take over the whole College of Cardinals, allowing only your candidates to be elected cunt with a silly hat. Also, in your current situation; is the pope old? Most named characters die around age 60-62. If the pope is around that age, FUCK. SCOTLAND. UP. You may be excommunicated, but the old turd dies before he can really hate you, and the next pope will allow you back in the church. Also, when the papal seat sits vacant and the game wants you to vote, you can rape and pillage all you want since no catholic scumfuck is around to judge you, so always make your move before you vote. Good luck.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
10-06-2015, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 03:44 PM by Free Thought.)
(10-06-2015 11:12 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(10-06-2015 03:10 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So, I got Total War: Medieval II recently and started playing.

Things are going relatively well for me until... The fucking Scots invade. And then the French.

I'm not concerned about the French, my fortress of Caen can deal with those little creatures. However, the Scots are a different issue entirely. They already took York from me in a surprise assault.

Now that I've finally managed to get something together to fight those barbarians off, the Pope demands that I stop fighting them and proceeds to threaten me with excommunication!

Fuck you too, Pope! I'm taking my land back and then I'm going to exterminate the Scot capitol for spite.

Edit: turns out I wont, since Spain then invaded Ireland...

The Scots attack you? Fuck it man, the Scots are useless. Really. The only thing that ever keeps me from crushing them in the start is because the pope gets a hissy fit, and there are very slim chances the Papal States will ever ally with you due to you being so far away. Your diplomats will never reach those monkeys in time anyway since you're busy preventing the French from taking over Normandy (they also get a hissy fit over that). No, your REAL problems are four factions: Denmark, Portugal, THRE, and Milan.

Denmark will spam to take anything in the Antwerp Region, and will also attack York if they can via the sea. Therefore, fortify York, Nottingham and Edinburgh just in case. You should also keep some cavalry units, Merchant Cavalry or Generals in London so they can quickly respond to any threat around Belgium and disembark nearby.

Portugal, a useless and always poor as hell faction will always attempt to take Caernavon. The first attack will be the strongest, but they grow weaker and weaker every time they stupidly disembark with a military force. Why stupid? They always order their ships to LEAVE shore back to the mainland, dooming their attack force if it even slightly loses (Denmark does the same, but not every single time). They're not much of a problem. They might attack Dublin, but they have little success there either.

The Holy Roman Empire will attack Antwerp in the same way Denmark does, with the same mix of Castle and City units. Keep a steady force of Spear Militia in both settlements in that region, plus a general, and they'll lose over and over again.

Milan will become a problem when you have taken most of France from it's rightful owners. They'll spam endless armies of Pavise Crossbowmen and catapults. Use cavalry to defeat them, always fortify your cities and castles. If you can hide troops in nearby woods, hidden from the enemies radar, do so.

As for the pope, try to build a Cathedral in your cities ASAP. Cathedrals spawn Bishops instead of Priests, and damn near guarantees your Bishops of becoming Cardinals. Eventually, your religious agents will take over the whole College of Cardinals, allowing only your candidates to be elected cunt with a silly hat. Also, in your current situation; is the pope old? Most named characters die around age 60-62. If the pope is around that age, FUCK. SCOTLAND. UP. You may be excommunicated, but the old turd dies before he can really hate you, and the next pope will allow you back in the church. Also, when the papal seat sits vacant and the game wants you to vote, you can rape and pillage all you want since no catholic scumfuck is around to judge you, so always make your move before you vote. Good luck.

Unfortunately, that's not really an option for me any more; when the Spaniards set their big fuck-off full stack on Ireland at the poorly defended gates of Dublin, I just plain gave up. Between being broke and trying to fight both the French and the Scots, no way i could afford to maintain yet another front, and losing Dublin would only make things more expensive for me.

Things are going differently for me now this time, however: I immediately built up and went on the offensive against those kilt-wearing sods. I'm not making the mistake of allowing them to exist any longer then necessary this time.

One huge battle and one starved-out city later, I march into their capitol and begin building up to take the rest of the rouge cities on my island. Naturally, it's me playing so things cant always go right: I tried to move my exhausted forces back to Nottingham to be rebuilt... and they immediately turn traitor.

Decades (and many Captains) later, I dealt with that, but for now, I've more pressing concerns: the council wants me to take Rennes... Because. After the French managed to bungle their three or four attempts to take the city, I do it with ease. Knowing that the French follow the historical precedent "Never be a friend to England", I immediately convert it to a castle for the defensive and military boost in the region and return my focus bringing the rouge cities to heel. This is achieved in relatively good time and before turn 40, I've got England and Ireland under Norman boots. Ol' Popey tries to call a Crusade, knowing my abysmal success rate on Crusades (my first and thus far last Crusade ended up with not even half my force reaching Egypt because they got impatient and managed to desert while on boats... I'll give them points for determination for that trick.) I ignore him and continue trying to shore-up my Grecian economy, converting the northern most town into a town and doing the same with Caernavon because I desperately needed the economic boost.... It has not helped much.

After a tenuous peace held by resigning to two extortions by the French dogs, they finally got the guts to go to war with me; I responded in my usual Total War fashion of immediately storming Angers, exterminating it's population and raising every building I could to the ground before withdrawing back to Caen to repair. The new Pope got angry with me for destroying a church. Predictably, I cared not. I eventually accepted Vasselship to France to give myself some breathing room; in a completely unTotal War manner, the French actually honoured the agreement for several years. And then the Spanish invaded Rennes... But were quickly excommunicated and gave up their siege. Then the French betrayed me and got themselves excommunicated for their trouble.

My current situation is thus: my economy is floundering, Rennes is probably going to fall soon thanks to my having neglected it for a long time and have very few of the monies now, Caens however is still looking good with my (very) few newly deployed dismounted Knights taking the some of the strain off my previously Billman army (Note: Billmen seem to suck hard) but is currently under siege, and I have recently taken Bruges.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
10-06-2015, 03:51 PM
(10-06-2015 03:36 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(10-06-2015 11:12 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  The Scots attack you? Fuck it man, the Scots are useless. Really. The only thing that ever keeps me from crushing them in the start is because the pope gets a hissy fit, and there are very slim chances the Papal States will ever ally with you due to you being so far away. Your diplomats will never reach those monkeys in time anyway since you're busy preventing the French from taking over Normandy (they also get a hissy fit over that). No, your REAL problems are four factions: Denmark, Portugal, THRE, and Milan.

Unfortunately, that's not really an option for me any more; when the Spaniards set their big fuck-off full stack on Ireland at the poorly defended gates of Dublin, I just plain gave up. Between being broke and trying to fight both the French and the Scots, no way i could afford to maintain yet another front, and losing Dublin would only make things more expensive for me.

Things are going differently for me now this time, however: I immediately built up and went on the offensive against those kilt-wearing sods. I'm not making the mistake of allowing them to exist any long then necessary this time.

One huge battle and one starved-out city later, I march into their capitol and begin building up to take the rest of the rouge cities on my island. Naturally, it's me playing so things cant always go right: I tried to move my exhausted forces back to Nottingham to be rebuilt... and they immediately turn traitor.

Decades (and many Captains) later, I dealt with that, but for now, I've more pressing concerns: the council wants me to take Rennes... Because. After the French managed to bungle their three or four attempts to take the city, I do it with ease. Knowing that the French follow the historical precedent "Never be a friend to England", I immediately convert it to a castle for the defensive and military boost in the region and return my focus bringing the rouge cities to heel. This is achieved in relatively good time and before turn 40, I've got England and Ireland under Norman boots. Ol' Popey tries to call a Crusade, knowing my abysmal success rate on Crusades (my first and thus far last Crusade ended up with not even half my force reaching Egypt because they got impatient and managed to desert while on boats... I'll give them points for determination for that trick.) I ignore him and continue trying to shore-up my Grecian economy, converting the northern most town into a town and doing the same with Caernavon because I desperately needed the economic boost.... It has not helped much.

After a tenuous peace held by resigning to two extortions by the French dogs, they finally got the guts to go to war with me; I responded in my usual Total War fashion of immediately storming Angers, exterminating it's population and raising every building I could to the ground before withdrawing back to Caen to repair. The new Pope got angry with me for destroying a church. Predictably, I cared not. I eventually accepted Vasselship to France to give myself soem breathing room; in a completely unTotal War manner, the French actually honoured the agreement for several years. And then the Spanish invaded Rennes... But were quickly excommunicated and gave up their siege. Then the French betrayed me and got themselves excommunicated for their trouble.

My current situation is thus: my economy is floundering, Rennes is probably going to fall soon thanks to my having neglected it for a long time and have very few of the monies now, Caens however is still looking good with my (very) few newly deployed dismounted Knights taking the some of the strain off my previously Billman army (Note: Billmen seem to suck hard) but is currently under siege, and I have recently taken Bruges.

Could be better. But see here, being called on a crusade is not as bad as you think, even if it's bumfuck Jerusalem. The Egyptians SUCK at maintaining their stuff properly. You can storm Jerusalem with some pilgrims or peasants, including the crusader knights that can be hired at a discount and doesn't need outkeep since they're on a mission for jeysus. just take a "sizeable" fleet to the east, storm the gates, sack the place and destroy everything of military value. Then, give the cities to some faction that you want a better relation to, like the Papal States. Try to get leverage and gain the pope as an ally. That's the key to winning anything. That, and going back on earlier saves and correct your mistakes. Also, fuck the council. They give jobs that are contradictory to the pope's, and the rewards are usually just expensive soldiers you can pay the upkeep to. Also, try the Hoblitars. They may suck, but the rule still counts: Cavalry is overpowered and broken. Use them to charge en-masse. Batter the fuck out of anyone in the way.

10-06-2015, 03:58 PM
(10-06-2015 03:51 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(10-06-2015 03:36 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Unfortunately, that's not really an option for me any more; when the Spaniards set their big fuck-off full stack on Ireland at the poorly defended gates of Dublin, I just plain gave up. Between being broke and trying to fight both the French and the Scots, no way i could afford to maintain yet another front, and losing Dublin would only make things more expensive for me.

Things are going differently for me now this time, however: I immediately built up and went on the offensive against those kilt-wearing sods. I'm not making the mistake of allowing them to exist any long then necessary this time.

After a tenuous peace held by resigning to two extortions by the French dogs, they finally got the guts to go to war with me; I responded in my usual Total War fashion of immediately storming Angers, exterminating it's population and raising every building I could to the ground before withdrawing back to Caen to repair. The new Pope got angry with me for destroying a church. Predictably, I cared not. I eventually accepted Vasselship to France to give myself soem breathing room; in a completely unTotal War manner, the French actually honoured the agreement for several years. And then the Spanish invaded Rennes... But were quickly excommunicated and gave up their siege. Then the French betrayed me and got themselves excommunicated for their trouble.

Could be better. But see here, being called on a crusade is not as bad as you think, even if it's bumfuck Jerusalem. The Egyptians SUCK at maintaining their stuff properly. You can storm Jerusalem with some pilgrims or peasants, including the crusader knights that can be hired at a discount and doesn't need outkeep since they're on a mission for jeysus. just take a "sizeable" fleet to the east, storm the gates, sack the place and destroy everything of military value. Then, give the cities to some faction that you want a better relation to, like the Papal States. Try to get leverage and gain the pope as an ally. That's the key to winning anything. That, and going back on earlier saves and correct your mistakes. Also, fuck the council. They give jobs that are contradictory to the pope's, and the rewards are usually just expensive soldiers you can pay the upkeep to. Also, try the Hoblitars. They may suck, but the rule still counts: Cavalry is overpowered and broken. Use them to charge en-masse. Batter the fuck out of anyone in the way.

I wish I could say better of my experience with cavalry. They just seem to get slaughtered and in this game they seem rather sluggish to orders, though that seems to be a common thing for units.

As for Crusades, if I weren't so far away from them (and they weren't being called against Milan, my only ally at the moment) I'd gladly join them. Not that I can right now. Hands are way to full for that nonsense at the moment.

10-06-2015, 04:07 PM
(10-06-2015 03:58 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(10-06-2015 03:51 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Could be better. But see here, being called on a crusade is not as bad as you think, even if it's bumfuck Jerusalem. The Egyptians SUCK at maintaining their stuff properly. You can storm Jerusalem with some pilgrims or peasants, including the crusader knights that can be hired at a discount and doesn't need outkeep since they're on a mission for jeysus. just take a "sizeable" fleet to the east, storm the gates, sack the place and destroy everything of military value. Then, give the cities to some faction that you want a better relation to, like the Papal States. Try to get leverage and gain the pope as an ally. That's the key to winning anything. That, and going back on earlier saves and correct your mistakes. Also, fuck the council. They give jobs that are contradictory to the pope's, and the rewards are usually just expensive soldiers you can pay the upkeep to. Also, try the Hoblitars. They may suck, but the rule still counts: Cavalry is overpowered and broken. Use them to charge en-masse. Batter the fuck out of anyone in the way.

I wish I could say better of my experience with cavalry. They just seem to get slaughtered and in this game they seem rather sluggish to orders, though that seems to be a common thing for units.

As for Crusades, if I weren't so far away from them (and they weren't being called against Milan, my only ally at the moment) I'd gladly join them. Not that I can right now. Hands are way to full for that nonsense at the moment.

If you want my honest opinion, I hate the battle maps in MTW2. It's slow, the game seems to do nothing but spawn the same unfair uphills over and over constantly giving your enemy the edge since they spam the cheapest units in the game: crossbowmen and catapults. It doesn't take long for me to allow most battles to be dealt with by the AI. It's not even close to being real fun, but that's possibly just me being a perfectionist not tolerating unit loss at all (in Rome you can retrain soldiers anywhere. not very realistic, but fuck if i care).

10-06-2015, 04:20 PM
(10-06-2015 04:07 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(10-06-2015 03:58 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I wish I could say better of my experience with cavalry. They just seem to get slaughtered and in this game they seem rather sluggish to orders, though that seems to be a common thing for units.

If you want my honest opinion, I hate the battle maps in MTW2. It's slow, the game seems to do nothing but spawn the same unfair uphills over and over constantly giving your enemy the edge since they spam the cheapest units in the game: crossbowmen and catapults. It doesn't take long for me to allow most battles to be dealt with by the AI. It's not even close to being real fun, but that's possibly just me being a perfectionist not tolerating unit loss at all (in Rome you can retrain soldiers anywhere. not very realistic, but fuck if i care).

I don't mind the maps so far, but I haven't been in all that many battles to judge.

I like the game at the moment, but I can see clear issues with it. A lot of what I'm seeing is reminding me of good, ol' Napoleon:TW, which I absolutely despised, like the limited military production cities and such. But I can appreciate the way this game has taken it's mechanics; it's deeper than Rome and Empire at least, but not (as yet) clunky or unwieldy as Napoleon was. As an added bonus, the AI does not seem to be quite as omnicidal as my previous Total War experiences.

Once I've got Divinity downloaded, I'll be installing and taking my go at Shogun II.

12-06-2015, 07:06 AM
Shogun 2: Total War.

I have to give The Creative Assembly massive credit for their realism in this game: even on here, Christianity fucks up EVERYTHING IT TOUCHES!

[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
12-06-2015, 08:15 AM
My wallet is basically being Steam cleaned for the next few days...

And I will probably play one or two of the games I buy.

Max Payne 3 for the price of a cheap lunch... Don't mind if I do. Plus, it's incredibly good. Can't believe I haven't played through it before.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post