What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2015, 10:01 PM
RE: What are you playing?
(17-08-2015 08:40 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 08:21 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  More manpower is great early game but in mid and late it's a non-issue I found. When you're getting 5K troops each month losing 20K in a 2year war isn't that big of a deal. The added shock and firepower for leaders with offensive ideas is great though. Defense ideas is pretty underrated. More moral (+15%), more tradition, more replenish speed and of course those attrition bonuses.

The issue with Ottomans is that their units in mid-late game become inferior (still good, but inferior) to western troops. So increasing things like moral, discipline, better leaders is a great way to compensate. especially considering you already have high manpower.

Mameluke's are pushover. It's Qara you gotta worry about. Don't let them get too big. Timmy's can be powerful but they quickly get chewed up by rebels and such.
Mamelukes are easy to attack too because they're sort of shaped like a bottleneck.
Just gotta remember to get a sizable galley fleet. Gally's in the Mediterranean get bonuses for fighting in a sea and they're incredible cheap. You can easily go over ship limit and still have a low fleet maintenance.

Lol, "I was suppose to be in bed an hour ago", oh EU4 you...

You should get humanist ideas first (I do for most my western games). Fully maxed out humanist ideas pretty much equals zero rebels (don't underestimate that +25% religious unity). Well, humanist ideas and proper use of authority. Don't be afraid to increase authority on newly taken provinces. Sure you don't get as much tax or production or manpower but you just got those provinces so it's more than you already had anyway and it's only 15%. Plus humanist ideas gives 10% off future ideas which = 40 admin off per upgrade.

Yeah I ended up taking offensive ideas first. I might have done some sub-optimal bordering to bad as I took Innovation ideas as the second group.
The offensive-innovative policy just seems so tasty. I hate sieging down forts.

Qara is a non-issue. They are as good as dead as i have taken over all but six of their provinces. of which only tree of them is connected to another of their provinces. (^_^) The Europa is a bit hard to get into. Hungry are in a personal union to Austria and Lithuania is under Poland. Venice seems to be a hassle as their territory isn't connected but I suspect they will be my target once I turn my attention back that way. But I did get my fleet up to match them as I thought I'd battle them earlier. It's half and half light ships and galleys at the moment.

Overall I recon I'm doing quite well. Though I have just gotten an absolute stinker of a leader 0/1/5.

Yea Lithuania and Hungry usually get PUs with Poland and Austria. Lithuania usually break free later though and Poland becomes a pushover and Lithuania become fairly easy too because their troops are trash. Hungry is a different story though. If you're unlucky Austria will integrate them and if you're really unlucky Austria will get lands from the Burgundy succession and integrate Hungry. And if you're REALLY unlucky, Austria will get Burgundy lands, integrate Hungry, France will lose a couple wars and wont ever become a powerhouse to keep Austria in check and Bohemia will get beaten by Poland and wont ever become a rival power within the HRE to Austria and Austria will remain Emperor.

Pretty much slams shut any plans you had to push into HRE lands. I got lucky in my game, Bohemia inherited Burgundy lands, Austria never got a PU with Hungry, in fact Hungry and Austria often warred allowing me to crush Austria and Austria remained Emperor meaning the HRE had a weak Emperor who was too afraid of me to do anything. Oh and Lithuania broke free of Poland and crushed Russia, along with the nomads, meaning even Russia never become a problem for me.

I was gonna start my Inca game today but having watched a movie based in Africa I feel inspired to go for the Kongo achievement.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
18-08-2015, 01:21 AM
(17-08-2015 10:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 08:40 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Yeah I ended up taking offensive ideas first. I might have done some sub-optimal bordering to bad as I took Innovation ideas as the second group.
The offensive-innovative policy just seems so tasty. I hate sieging down forts.

Qara is a non-issue. They are as good as dead as i have taken over all but six of their provinces. of which only tree of them is connected to another of their provinces. (^_^) The Europa is a bit hard to get into. Hungry are in a personal union to Austria and Lithuania is under Poland. Venice seems to be a hassle as their territory isn't connected but I suspect they will be my target once I turn my attention back that way. But I did get my fleet up to match them as I thought I'd battle them earlier. It's half and half light ships and galleys at the moment.

Overall I recon I'm doing quite well. Though I have just gotten an absolute stinker of a leader 0/1/5.

Yea Lithuania and Hungry usually get PUs with Poland and Austria. Lithuania usually break free later though and Poland becomes a pushover and Lithuania become fairly easy too because their troops are trash. Hungry is a different story though. If you're unlucky Austria will integrate them and if you're really unlucky Austria will get lands from the Burgundy succession and integrate Hungry. And if you're REALLY unlucky, Austria will get Burgundy lands, integrate Hungry, France will lose a couple wars and wont ever become a powerhouse to keep Austria in check and Bohemia will get beaten by Poland and wont ever become a rival power within the HRE to Austria and Austria will remain Emperor.

Pretty much slams shut any plans you had to push into HRE lands. I got lucky in my game, Bohemia inherited Burgundy lands, Austria never got a PU with Hungry, in fact Hungry and Austria often warred allowing me to crush Austria and Austria remained Emperor meaning the HRE had a weak Emperor who was too afraid of me to do anything. Oh and Lithuania broke free of Poland and crushed Russia, along with the nomads, meaning even Russia never become a problem for me.

I was gonna start my Inca game today but having watched a movie based in Africa I feel inspired to go for the Kongo achievement.
Yeah I knew about the Poland/Lithuania relationship. Never noticed Hungary being under Austria though. (My only finished game was a Denmark) But I have started to make friends with Austria just in case they get really big.
18-08-2015, 01:26 AM
Downloaded New Game+ for Witcher 3. It looks like another 100 hours of monster slaying Smile

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
18-08-2015, 02:49 AM
(18-08-2015 01:21 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 10:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yea Lithuania and Hungry usually get PUs with Poland and Austria. Lithuania usually break free later though and Poland becomes a pushover and Lithuania become fairly easy too because their troops are trash. Hungry is a different story though. If you're unlucky Austria will integrate them and if you're really unlucky Austria will get lands from the Burgundy succession and integrate Hungry. And if you're REALLY unlucky, Austria will get Burgundy lands, integrate Hungry, France will lose a couple wars and wont ever become a powerhouse to keep Austria in check and Bohemia will get beaten by Poland and wont ever become a rival power within the HRE to Austria and Austria will remain Emperor.

Yeah I knew about the Poland/Lithuania relationship. Never noticed Hungary being under Austria though. (My only finished game was a Denmark) But I have started to make friends with Austria just in case they get really big.

Austria gets country specific missions in the 1500's to put a Habsburg family on the throne of Hungry which results in a PU. They basically have to have more provinces than Hungry and it be in the 1500's so it's really easy for Austria to do.
It's also really easy for them to secure PU's with Bohemia, who lacks an heir at the start of the game and who if you RM straight away you have a chance to put your heir on their throne which when he/she succeeds can result in a PU. And it's easy for them to PU Burgundy if Burgundy survive into the 1500's. Though the AI doesn't tend to do that one.

I find that rather than ally Austria ally France. You'll never end up attacking France because they're too big and not adjacent to you. Except maybe colonial battles.. Consider But you may want to attack Austria. As Ottomans you get a very very easy westernization if you own either Danzig or Wein (or whatever the capital of Austria is) and Wein is a lot closer than Danzig.

18-08-2015, 02:54 AM
(18-08-2015 02:49 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 01:21 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Yeah I knew about the Poland/Lithuania relationship. Never noticed Hungary being under Austria though. (My only finished game was a Denmark) But I have started to make friends with Austria just in case they get really big.

Austria gets country specific missions in the 1500's to put a Habsburg family on the throne of Hungry which results in a PU. They basically have to have more provinces than Hungry and it be in the 1500's so it's really easy for Austria to do.
It's also really easy for them to secure PU's with Bohemia, who lacks an heir at the start of the game and who if you RM straight away you have a chance to put your heir on their throne which when he/she succeeds can result in a PU. And it's easy for them to PU Burgundy if Burgundy survive into the 1500's. Though the AI doesn't tend to do that one.

I find that rather than ally Austria ally France. You'll never end up attacking France because they're too big and not adjacent to you. Except maybe colonial battles.. Consider But you may want to attack Austria. As Ottomans you get a very very easy westernization if you own either Danzig or Wein (or whatever the capital of Austria is) and Wein is a lot closer than Danzig.

Stop!

You're making your map game sound interesting!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
18-08-2015, 03:12 AM
(18-08-2015 02:49 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 01:21 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Yeah I knew about the Poland/Lithuania relationship. Never noticed Hungary being under Austria though. (My only finished game was a Denmark) But I have started to make friends with Austria just in case they get really big.

I was thinking about taking on Poland instead to gain access to Bohemia and then go for Prague. But I actually think your idea seems to be very solid. Europa is a very hard but interesting can to get open.
18-08-2015, 07:48 AM
(18-08-2015 03:12 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 02:49 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Austria gets country specific missions in the 1500's to put a Habsburg family on the throne of Hungry which results in a PU. They basically have to have more provinces than Hungry and it be in the 1500's so it's really easy for Austria to do.

I was thinking about taking on Poland instead to gain access to Bohemia and then go for Prague. But I actually think your idea seems to be very solid. Europa is a very hard but interesting can to get open.

Oh Prague that's right, I forgot you could take that as an option too.
Prague could be a good option actually given that Hungry is in a PU with Austria.

18-08-2015, 07:51 AM
(18-08-2015 07:48 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 03:12 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I was thinking about taking on Poland instead to gain access to Bohemia and then go for Prague. But I actually think your idea seems to be very solid. Europa is a very hard but interesting can to get open.

Prague could be a good option actually given that Hungry is in a PU with Austria.

So apparently, I was really drunk this weekend and decided I needed to try this game you guys talk about so much. I just noticed a charge on my credit card for the game sometime really late saturday night.

So, I guess I'm playing EU now.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
18-08-2015, 07:53 AM
(18-08-2015 07:51 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 07:48 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh Prague that's right, I forgot you could take that as an option too.

So apparently, I was really drunk this weekend and decided I needed to try this game you guys talk about so much. I just noticed a charge on my credit card for the game sometime really late saturday night.

So, I guess I'm playing EU now.
(^_^)
And they say people make bad choices when drunk.

Give drunk you a pat on the back.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
18-08-2015, 08:02 AM
(18-08-2015 07:48 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 03:12 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I was thinking about taking on Poland instead to gain access to Bohemia and then go for Prague. But I actually think your idea seems to be very solid. Europa is a very hard but interesting can to get open.

Well it turns out that Bohemia is allied to Austria. So I would have to keep an eye out for a very favorable timing. It would take me two wars at best to get Prague but I recon three is more reasonable. If I go for Wien it would at most take two wars. Going for Prague will also snake my country in between Poland and Hungary which might not be too good an idea.

Can I break up a personal union in a war without it being an war for independence for Hungary? If so it might be even better to go for Austria.