What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2015, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2015 09:09 AM by Emma.)
RE: What are you playing?
Right on, thanks guys! I'll have to try the Zweihander. I've got it at +5 right now, so it probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to reinforce to a fire+10 once I get the embers for it again. I should have done that before I finished the game.

I have been REALLY surprised at how much I enjoyed this game. I'd heard so many nightmare stories about it being impossible, about being invaded and it ruining your game, etc. etc. Really, being invaded and killed was never that big of a deal. It sucked losing the humanity, but I thought there were going to be so many instances where I would be invaded during a boss fight or something- at least until I learned how invasions worked.

Anyway- this game really is fun. I look forward to trying DSII and Bloodborn eventually.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2015, 09:07 AM
(14-10-2015 09:00 AM)kineo Wrote:  Right on, thanks guys! I'll have to try the Zweihander. I've got it at +5 right now, so it probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to reinforce to a fire+10 once I get the embers for it again. I should have done that before I finished the game.

Be warned, brave Undead. The Zweihander is a very slow weapon, easy to predict and can leave you open to attack.

On the other hand, it hits like a truck and has a big frontward arc to hit in.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
14-10-2015, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2015 11:42 AM by Adrianime.)
(14-10-2015 09:00 AM)kineo Wrote:  Right on, thanks guys! I'll have to try the Zweihander. I've got it at +5 right now, so it probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to reinforce to a fire+10 once I get the embers for it again. I should have done that before I finished the game.

I have been REALLY surprised at how much I enjoyed this game. I'd heard so many nightmare stories about it being impossible, about being invaded and it ruining your game, etc. etc. Really, being invaded and killed was never that big of a deal. It sucked losing the humanity, but I thought there were going to be so many instances where I would be invaded during a boss fight or something- at least until I learned how invasions worked.

Anyway- this game really is fun. I look forward to trying DSII and Bloodborn eventually.
Zweihander and claymore builds are pretty fun. As are GreatAxe builds. The game really isn't that hard, it just requires understanding. It's hard like trying to get through the hammer bros without timing your jumps in super mario is hard....

Dark souls is one of the most satisfying games I've ever played. If you move on to Dark Souls 2...just be warned that it is a different game. Demon Souls is a great game if you haven't played that. IMO DS2 is the worst of the souls series. It's still fun though. Just expect to always aggro groups of enemies at a time, slightly more difficult backstabs, ridiculous enemy tracking (like they can follow you through a roll and hit you when you come out of it if you don't time your roll perfectly), and many weapons with poor tracking. And most importantly, expect to lose any feeling that you are playing in a cohesive world. Dark Souls 2 plays like Super mario in that the levels rarely smoothly connect from one to another. The story isn't nearly as engaging or interesting IMO.

Below are no DS2 story/plot/weapon location spoilers, just game mechanics and design observations.

Aside from what I said above, my top 3 complaints about DS2 are:
1. Emerald herald.
a. It takes like 5-10 seconds of her rambling just to interact with her, but you are forced to interact with her to level up. Compare to maiden in black (in demon souls) who would ramble while she leveled you up.
b. Needing to use her to level up when you have unlimited warping is purely annoying and just a big time waste. There is no incentive to NOT level up except you know that leveling up will take 1-2 minutes of your time. As opposed to demon souls where leveling up made you lose significant progress as each level only had one archstone (aka bonfire). So it was up to the player to be strategic about leveling.

2. Bonfires.
a. There are like, at least 50 bonfires in this game (not exaggerating). It's like Souls on easy mode. If enemies weren't there to stop you, I would say the average distance between bonfires is a 60 second run. Aside from the durability of weapons degrading (which isn't hard to deal with because maxing weapons is super easy. In my last playthrough I maxed about 8 weapons without farming), the whole survival aspect of Souls is basically ripped away.
b. Having the warp ability from the get-go seems cheap, and unearned. And the dev team obviously used this as an excuse to not make interesting level design. Part of what made Dark Souls great was getting stranded, and knowing that getting out would either require a shortcut, or one hell of a backtrack. In Dark souls 2 you never feel lost, short on healing items, or in a hopeless situation, because you know at any point you can literally warp to anywhere in the game you want.

3. Level design, immersion, story.
I touched on this above, but it's hard to explain. Miyazaki, The main guy for Dark Souls and Demon Souls took a backseat in Dark Souls 2 and let another guy do the work and it shows. I never felt connected to the game like I was in Dark Souls. The world never was...interesting at all really. In subsequent playthroughs it's grown a little more endearing, but still nowhere near Dark Souls 1 level. Luckily he was driving Bloodborne, and will be back in Dark souls 3, so I am pretty excited.

4. (I know this is extra) Soul Vessels
Ahh, I forgot to mention Soul Vessels, which is the ability to respec your character by reallocating all soul levels. I find this to be a huge cop-out. I don't think any RPG should allow you to undecide what you have done with your character. It's hella cheap to me. There probably are only 5-10 soul vessels in the game (there probably is a method of farming them, but I'm not going to look it up). IMO, if this feature was to exist at all...which it shouldn't...there should be like 1 single soul vessel per playthrough, and it should not be farmable.

I'll give out a small list of positives in dark souls 2. The overall movement and moveset is more fluid and refined IMO. I feel I can control my character better. Also, NG+ introduces a few new items, some new enemies, and some new movesets from enemies.

Anyways, I know you didn't ask! But I'm kinda passionate about the souls series. I'm really really looking forward to getting Bloodborne in a month with GOTY edition is released.

Oh yeah, and props on riposte-ing Gwyn. I actually accidentally did a riposte on him by reflex when i fought him on my Nth playthrough. But aside from that one fight, I found that I'm not very good at riposte, so I just fight him normally. A missed riposte on him is some harsh damage that you have to absorb.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
14-10-2015, 12:13 PM
I've been playing Doom 2, Heretic, and Hexen... all through the Zdoom source port.

Best source port ever.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Quote:I don't think any RPG should allow you to undecide what you have done with your character.

Now that's an interesting thought. Consider
I'll have to think about that tonight at work while I'm suppose to be "monitoring the cameras".

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
14-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Steam is having a sale on stealth games, Assassins Creed Black Flag for $10 and Far Cry 3 for $7 may buy both these great games Friday. If I do I may be AWOL for a while.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
14-10-2015, 10:01 PM
(14-10-2015 06:51 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:I don't think any RPG should allow you to undecide what you have done with your character.

Now that's an interesting thought. Consider
I'll have to think about that tonight at work while I'm suppose to be "monitoring the cameras".
I'm old school Knights who say NI!

The emoticon has no meaning....but never saw it before.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
14-10-2015, 10:12 PM
It adds difficulty I think but it would also just promote people googling the best builds.
Plus not everyone has a ton of time to pump into a game to do several playthroughs to try out all the different styles.

In most RPGs you pick a class anyway so you're already locked in that way and allowing respec just lets you play that class differently.

I dunno for Dark Souls. I'm probably bias though, I like to be able to change it up occasionally. Stops things getting stale.

Finally got around to finishing Battlefield Hardline single player campaign. Played the shit out of multiplayer but only dabbled in the single player. Did it for the achievements but it was actually a pretty good single player. They told the story really well. I was playing on the hardest difficulty though and it was still piss easy. Now to just mop up a few stray achievements and I'm ready to ditch it for Battlefront when that comes out for my battlefield fix.

[Image: oscar.png]
15-10-2015, 02:15 AM
league of legends

/dying

this weekend I'm buying heavensward because my friends want to drag me back into the grindy hellscape that is ffxiv

/diesmore
15-10-2015, 02:17 AM
(15-10-2015 02:15 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  this weekend I'm buying heavensward because my friends want to drag me back into the grindy hellscape that is ffxiv

/diesmore

/dieinside

Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]