What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2015, 10:06 AM
RE: What are you playing?
(14-10-2015 10:58 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 09:00 AM)kineo Wrote:  Right on, thanks guys! I'll have to try the Zweihander. I've got it at +5 right now, so it probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to reinforce to a fire+10 once I get the embers for it again. I should have done that before I finished the game.

I have been REALLY surprised at how much I enjoyed this game. I'd heard so many nightmare stories about it being impossible, about being inv and it ruining your game, etc. etc. Really, being invaded and killed was never that big of a deal. It sucked losing the humanity, but I thought there were going to be so many instances where I would be invaded during a boss fight or something- at least until I learned how invasions worked.

Anyway- this game really is fun. I look forward to trying DSII and Bloodborn eventually.
Zweihander and claymore builds are pretty fun. As are GreatAxe builds. The game really isn't that hard, it just requires understanding. It's hard like trying to get through the hammer bros without timing your jumps in super mario is hard....

Dark souls is one of the most satisfying games I've ever played. If you move on to Dark Souls 2...just be warned that it is a different game. Demon Souls is a great game if you haven't played that. IMO DS2 is the worst of the souls series. It's still fun though. Just expect to always aggro groups of enemies at a time, slightly more difficult backstabs, ridiculous enemy tracking (like they can follow you through a roll and hit you when you come out of it if you don't time your roll perfectly), and many weapons with poor tracking. And most importantly, expect to lose any feeling that you are playing in a cohesive world. Dark Souls 2 plays like Super mario in that the levels rarely smoothly connect from one to another. The story isn't nearly as engaging or interesting IMO.

Below are no DS2 story/plot/weapon location spoilers, just game mechanics and design observations.

Aside from what I said above, my top 3 complaints about DS2 are:
1. Emerald herald.
a. It takes like 5-10 seconds of her rambling just to interact with her, but you are forced to interact with her to level up. Compare to maiden in black (in demon souls) who would ramble while she leveled you up.
b. Needing to use her to level up when you have unlimited warping is purely annoying and just a big time waste. There is no incentive to NOT level up except you know that leveling up will take 1-2 minutes of your time. As opposed to demon souls where leveling up made you lose significant progress as each level only had one archstone (aka bonfire). So it was up to the player to be strategic about leveling.

2. Bonfires.
a. There are like, at least 50 bonfires in this game (not exaggerating). It's like Souls on easy mode. If enemies weren't there to stop you, I would say the average distance between bonfires is a 60 second run. Aside from the durability of weapons degrading (which isn't hard to deal with because maxing weapons is super easy. In my last playthrough I maxed about 8 weapons without farming), the whole survival aspect of Souls is basically ripped away.
b. Having the warp ability from the get-go seems cheap, and unearned. And the dev team obviously used this as an excuse to not make interesting level design. Part of what made Dark Souls great was getting stranded, and knowing that getting out would either require a shortcut, or one hell of a backtrack. In Dark souls 2 you never feel lost, short on healing items, or in a hopeless situation, because you know at any point you can literally warp to anywhere in the game you want.

3. Level design, immersion, story.
I touched on this above, but it's hard to explain. Miyazaki, The main guy for Dark Souls and Demon Souls took a backseat in Dark Souls 2 and let another guy do the work and it shows. I never felt connected to the game like I was in Dark Souls. The world never was...interesting at all really. In subsequent playthroughs it's grown a little more endearing, but still nowhere near Dark Souls 1 level. Luckily he was driving Bloodborne, and will be back in Dark souls 3, so I am pretty excited.

4. (I know this is extra) Soul Vessels
Ahh, I forgot to mention Soul Vessels, which is the ability to respec your character by reallocating all soul levels. I find this to be a huge cop-out. I don't think any RPG should allow you to undecide what you have done with your character. It's hella cheap to me. There probably are only 5-10 soul vessels in the game (there probably is a method of farming them, but I'm not going to look it up). IMO, if this feature was to exist at all...which it shouldn't...there should be like 1 single soul vessel per playthrough, and it should not be farmable.

I'll give out a small list of positives in dark souls 2. The overall movement and moveset is more fluid and refined IMO. I feel I can control my character better. Also, NG+ introduces a few new items, some new enemies, and some new movesets from enemies.

Anyways, I know you didn't ask! But I'm kinda passionate about the souls series. I'm really really looking forward to getting Bloodborne in a month with GOTY edition is released.

Wow, thanks for taking to time to lay that out! Good info. I'm still looking forward to DSII, but it's good to know what I'm in for.

I know I could have researched the best build for this game, but I specifically avoided that. I did do a little looking into how to best build some of the weapons I found myself using the most, but that was pretty far into the game when I'd already started down a particular path.

This was no doubt a very fun game, and it didn't seem particularly worthy of the negative hype. Except for getting past those two god damned archers in Anor Londo- OMFG that was the worst part of the game for me. It really caused me to lose my stride for a day or two lol.

As for bonfires- I thought they were pretty well spaced in the first game- seems like having them closer together is unnecessary. There were a couple of places where I wished for a bonfire- one closer to the Abyss would have been nice for saving me a couple of run backs after a boss death. But that wasn't that big a deal. I did go down to New Londo a bit too early, though, searching for a bonfire and getting wasted by the ghosts. I even tried clearing it once after I got cursed lol, trying to find the guy who could cure me like whats-his-name said in Firelink Shrine. But really, the bonfires were generally spaced pretty decently, I thought.

(14-10-2015 10:58 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Oh yeah, and props on riposte-ing Gwyn. I actually accidentally did a riposte on him by reflex when i fought him on my Nth playthrough. But aside from that one fight, I found that I'm not very good at riposte, so I just fight him normally. A missed riposte on him is some harsh damage that you have to absorb.

Thanks! I actually felt like I didn't have any choice. I found that if I didn't break his momentum in some way, I never got a chance to attack. I'd spend any pause I got on trying to heal from his last barrage, and I never got more than a few hits in. Then one mess up and I'd be dead. But he has an attack pattern where one of the third strikes is slower than the other- just slow enough to time a riposte when he starts the animation. Once I figured that out (by accident) that was my best strategy. I'm not all that good at the riposte, but I practiced it through about a little more than half of the game once I learned how (also by accident lol- that was quite a revelation).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
15-10-2015, 10:49 AM
(15-10-2015 10:06 AM)kineo Wrote:  Wow, thanks for taking to time to lay that out! Good info. I'm still looking forward to DSII, but it's good to know what I'm in for.

I know I could have researched the best build for this game, but I specifically avoided that. I did do a little looking into how to best build some of the weapons I found myself using the most, but that was pretty far into the game when I'd already started down a particular path.

This was no doubt a very fun game, and it didn't seem particularly worthy of the negative hype. Except for getting past those two god damned archers in Anor Londo- OMFG that was the worst part of the game for me. It really caused me to lose my stride for a day or two lol.

As for bonfires- I thought they were pretty well spaced in the first game- seems like having them closer together is unnecessary. There were a couple of places where I wished for a bonfire- one closer to the Abyss would have been nice for saving me a couple of run backs after a boss death. But that wasn't that big a deal. I did go down to New Londo a bit too early, though, searching for a bonfire and getting wasted by the ghosts. I even tried clearing it once after I got cursed lol, trying to find the guy who could cure me like whats-his-name said in Firelink Shrine. But really, the bonfires were generally spaced pretty decently, I thought.

(14-10-2015 10:58 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Oh yeah, and props on riposte-ing Gwyn. I actually accidentally did a riposte on him by reflex when i fought him on my Nth playthrough. But aside from that one fight, I found that I'm not very good at riposte, so I just fight him normally. A missed riposte on him is some harsh damage that you have to absorb.

Thanks! I actually felt like I didn't have any choice. I found that if I didn't break his momentum in some way, I never got a chance to attack. I'd spend any pause I got on trying to heal from his last barrage, and I never got more than a few hits in. Then one mess up and I'd be dead. But he has an attack pattern where one of the third strikes is slower than the other- just slow enough to time a riposte when he starts the animation. Once I figured that out (by accident) that was my best strategy. I'm not all that good at the riposte, but I practiced it through about a little more than half of the game once I learned how (also by accident lol- that was quite a revelation).
Dark souls 2 is still a great game, you will like it. I just wanted so much more of a Souls experience. After you play through it, I would look up some youtube reviews of the game, it's pretty fun IMO.

I totally agree about the bonfires. Dark souls 1 did them well. Extra ones for convenience of course would have been more...convenient. But the point of the game isn't convenience. Oh and I totally agree about the Anor londo archers. I spent hours on those guys before giving up. I think they are the only enemy in the game I just gave up on and looked up a strategy to get past them.

The time I riposted gwyn it was when I was having fun doing ripostes on the black knights, so when I entered the fight with him I just tried to riposte either his first or second attack and I was like "Whoa, it worked!". I kept trying, and only was able to do it like 1 out of 5 tries...so after dying a few times, I was like..eff this haha. I don't like losing to Bosses, so if a strategy makes me lose more than 1 or 2 times I switch strats.

If you haven't played through the dark souls 1 DLC, i would highly recommend that. Artorias and Kalameet are the two most satisfying boss fights in the game IMO. Especially if you go in blind without knowing anything about them.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
15-10-2015, 12:02 PM
(15-10-2015 02:35 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 02:22 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  just let me rot in hell, mom Weeping

Hell is reserved for TERA lolicons. Rolleyes

[Image: tera_elin_and_popori_wallpaper_by_rendermax-d3bllso.jpg]

STOP I ACTUALLY HAVE 600 HOURS ON THAT MMO, TWO MAXED GEAR CHARACTERS, MY OWN GUILD THAT I ABANDONED, AND AN OBSESSION WITH ELINS.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
15-10-2015, 05:53 PM
I just found an FPS Civil War era game that has the most realistic reload ever. it's not out yet but on a kickstarter campaign. I can imagine so much rage in multiplayer.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
15-10-2015, 06:26 PM
(15-10-2015 05:53 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I just found an FPS Civil War era game that has the most realistic reload ever. it's not out yet but on a kickstarter campaign. I can imagine so much rage in multiplayer.

And I thought Mount and Blade crossbow/firearm reload was annoying. Tongue
It's cool though, I love realistic sort of stuff like that. (which I guess is why I love M&B).

Question though, why do these games always have to be about the Civil War? Napoleonic Wars were so much more interesting.
15-10-2015, 06:29 PM
(15-10-2015 06:26 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 05:53 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I just found an FPS Civil War era game that has the most realistic reload ever. it's not out yet but on a kickstarter campaign. I can imagine so much rage in multiplayer.

It's cool though, I love realistic sort of stuff like that. (which I guess is why I love M&B).

Question though, why do these games always have to be about the Civil War? Napoleonic Wars were so much more interesting.

No clue, maybe you could pitch the idea as a sequel and collect some royalties.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
15-10-2015, 06:37 PM
(15-10-2015 06:26 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  

From a historical standpoint the American Civil war is interesting because it was the first "Modern War" using mechanical multi-shot weapons and all of the advances of the 18th century. The European commanders would have been much better served had they studied the American Civil war rather than the Napoleonic wars pre-WW1.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
15-10-2015, 07:13 PM

... I kinda want to see game-play footage of this game where two entire teams (does it work like that?) are formed up like regiments of Line firing at each other in volleys...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-10-2015, 07:22 PM
(15-10-2015 07:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

... I kinda want to see game-play footage of this game where two entire teams (does it work like that?) are formed up like regiments of Line firing at each other in volleys...

Here is a screenshot.

[Image: Screenshot_11c.jpg]

15-10-2015, 10:05 PM
(15-10-2015 06:37 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 06:26 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  And I thought Mount and Blade crossbow/firearm reload was annoying. Tongue

From a historical standpoint the American Civil war is interesting because it was the first "Modern War" using mechanical multi-shot weapons and all of the advances of the 18th century. The European commanders would have been much better served had they studied the American Civil war rather than the Napoleonic wars pre-WW1.

I didn't say it wasn't interesting, it certainly is an interesting historical topic. I mean it's when we saw ironclads being properly introduced which really changed the way naval combat was heading. Lots of new innovations and technologies.

I just think the Napoleonic wars are more interesting. The politics are better, the uniforms are better (I mean comon, no argument here really), the battles were better. Napoleon was a motherfucking military genius. It was like the peak of that style of warfare, the land combat and the naval combat all intertwining with an extremely interesting political period in history. I dunno, IMO it is just a more interesting war. Oh and besides, European history > USA history.