What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2016, 11:00 AM
RE: What are you playing?
(29-01-2016 07:08 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I've got to beat Syndicate so I can get the season pass on Wednesday and beat it again! Big Grin

(29-01-2016 05:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  assuming I'm still laying it enough to justify it.

...and then he posts an image of Bayonetta. Tongue

Well, fuck me.

Figuratively of course. Piece of shit spell checker. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
30-01-2016, 01:10 AM
(29-01-2016 06:10 AM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  
(28-01-2016 03:07 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yea pretty much. I never got the hype around it anyway, could never get into it.
Around the time they released it for the current gen consoles, my lifelong best friend/quasi-brother who played the shit out of it on PC begged me to pick it up for the Xbox One. Previously, he wanted me to get it on the PC, but I don't have a gaming PC and I'm just a casual as hell gamer on consoles anyway.

So, the game dropped, and immediately the servers for the consoles were fucked, and stayed that way for quite some time. Somebody that was a part of Overkill went on Twitter and basically said, "Yeah, fuck consoles" (I'm paraphrasing! They didn't say that verbatim, but pretty much implied that). It was pretty amusing. Never bothered with buying it after that. Why support a shitty, careless developer? The comical thing was that there were people on a gaming subReddit and elsewhere defending the tweet.

EK alluded to microtransactions. Do you guys ever see microtransactions being mitigated in gaming, going forward? Anytime soon? Money hungry fuckers... Seems to be that's all gaming is nowadays. In another genre, yearly sports titles are making a killing off of people with modes like "Ultimate Team" (in EA Sports titles) and "MyTeam", "MyCareer", etc. in the NBA 2K titles.

Micro transaction are a weird topic. I support them but at the same time I don't. It's entirely how the developer uses them.
A perfect example of perfect micro-transactions is LoL. LoL is a completely free game, you don't need to spend a cent to be competitive. All the micro-transactions in that game are purely cosmetic and optional. Without those micro transactions that game would likely be subscription based. And so you can choose how much you spend on the game.
Comparatively, Payday 2... making it so you have to buy keys to unlock vaults that give you better gear giving you an advantage? yuck yuck yuck.

That second kind of micro-transactions is ruining gaming. BUT that previous kind, the LoL model is improving gaming so much.

Another example. Halo 5, a game I play A LOT, they release DLC every month with new maps and skins etc.. but it's free. But you have to unlock it all. Now you can either do that by spending REQ points on REQ packs (you get REQ points for playing the game). But they also have micro-transactions so you can buy the packs with real money too. It's all purely a cosmetic thing and so doesn't give you an in game advantage and you can unlock everything for free anyway by getting and spending REQ.

That system means I get free DLC every month and I can spend as much or as little (or nothing in my case) as I like.

Compare that to SW Battlefront... $80 for base game (multiplayer only btw, very basic shell of a Battlefield game) and ANOTHER $80 for the DLC that isn't even developed yet... WTF even is that??

The prior is perfect micro-transactions, the later is ruining gaming.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
30-01-2016, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2016 04:24 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(30-01-2016 01:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 06:10 AM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  Around the time they released it for the current gen consoles, my lifelong best friend/quasi-brother who played the shit out of it on PC begged me to pick it up for the Xbox One. Previously, he wanted me to get it on the PC, but I don't have a gaming PC and I'm just a casual as hell gamer on consoles anyway.

So, the game dropped, and immediately the servers for the consoles were fucked, and stayed that way for quite some time. Somebody that was a part of Overkill went on Twitter and basically said, "Yeah, fuck consoles" (I'm paraphrasing! They didn't say that verbatim, but pretty much implied that). It was pretty amusing. Never bothered with buying it after that. Why support a shitty, careless developer? The comical thing was that there were people on a gaming subReddit and elsewhere defending the tweet.

EK alluded to microtransactions. Do you guys ever see microtransactions being mitigated in gaming, going forward? Anytime soon? Money hungry fuckers... Seems to be that's all gaming is nowadays. In another genre, yearly sports titles are making a killing off of people with modes like "Ultimate Team" (in EA Sports titles) and "MyTeam", "MyCareer", etc. in the NBA 2K titles.

Micro transaction are a weird topic. I support them but at the same time I don't. It's entirely how the developer uses them.
A perfect example of perfect micro-transactions is LoL. LoL is a completely free game, you don't need to spend a cent to be competitive. All the micro-transactions in that game are purely cosmetic and optional. Without those micro transactions that game would likely be subscription based. And so you can choose how much you spend on the game.
Comparatively, Payday 2... making it so you have to buy keys to unlock vaults that give you better gear giving you an advantage? yuck yuck yuck.

That second kind of micro-transactions is ruining gaming. BUT that previous kind, the LoL model is improving gaming so much.

Another example. Halo 5, a game I play A LOT, they release DLC every month with new maps and skins etc.. but it's free. But you have to unlock it all. Now you can either do that by spending REQ points on REQ packs (you get REQ points for playing the game). But they also have micro-transactions so you can buy the packs with real money too. It's all purely a cosmetic thing and so doesn't give you an in game advantage and you can unlock everything for free anyway by getting and spending REQ.

That system means I get free DLC every month and I can spend as much or as little (or nothing in my case) as I like.

Compare that to SW Battlefront... $80 for base game (multiplayer only btw, very basic shell of a Battlefield game) and ANOTHER $80 for the DLC that isn't even developed yet... WTF even is that??

As I just started playing Warframe, it's another free-to-play game with microtransatcions done right. Now the game itself is a co-op, player versus environment, third person action game. That being said, can you spend real money and deck yourself out with objectively better gear than what you start out with? Yes. Does that adversely affect other players? No, its everyone versus the AI, and having better equipped teammates only increases your own survival. You can spend money for convenience, allowing you to skip game time and grind. But the kicker is, even if you spend $100 up front on primo gear, you'd still be Rank 0; and Rank is your true indicator of time spent with the game. You increase your Rank by increasing your mastery with your gear, basically by leveling up the gear itself. All frames (your armor) and weapons can be leveled up to 30, and each level adds to your overall mastery (effectively, XP for your Rank). Once you have enough to reach the next tier, you need to pass a skill challenge to actually level up to the next Rank.

So a Rank 0 with primo-gear is still a newbie, but one with somewhat more powerful toys. You'll still have to spend time to level up that gear and learn how to use it. That being said, you can buy boosters to help grind that stuff faster, once again, trading money for time. But you can also just spend your time in game and earn that gear. All of the warframes you can buy, you can find the blueprints in the game and craft them yourself with the materials you collect. It will take time, but it is doable; and being a completely free-to-play title, you cannot really gripe about it being balanced this way. It's shitty when you see something like this in a game you pay full retail price for, like Dead Space 3, but not when you haven't spent a single cent on it; and make no mistake, the game is AAA tier quality with what it has to offer.

I'm currently building my second warfarme, need a bit more credits to finish construction on my third, and I've already mastered (hit Lv30) a few weapons and my initial warframe; and I only started playing less than a week ago. Haven't spent a single cent on it, but I'll be really tempted to if I get one of those '75% discount on Platinum' (Platinum being their premium currency, which you can get by farming high grade parts and blueprints and selling them to other players) as a daily log-on bonus, then I might spend some real money when I know I can make it stretch further than normal. Also, I hit Rank 3 on my third day.

Any who, this was the TotalBiscuit video that got me interested enough to give it a shot. The Rule of Cool is in full effect.

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
30-01-2016, 06:15 AM
Got a The Division beta key (perks of having flatmates in charge of gaming departments) so gonna give that a crack tomorrow.
30-01-2016, 08:19 AM
Just bought The Witness last night, and it's pretty damn cool. If you're a fan of really clever IQ test-style logic and spatial awareness puzzles, check it out.

If you don't get all hot and bothered over the idea of exploring a new Myst Island inspired game world, but still think it looks pretty cool, wait until the game is on sale for $15.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
30-01-2016, 08:42 AM
(30-01-2016 01:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 06:10 AM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  Around the time they released it for the current gen consoles, my lifelong best friend/quasi-brother who played the shit out of it on PC begged me to pick it up for the Xbox One. Previously, he wanted me to get it on the PC, but I don't have a gaming PC and I'm just a casual as hell gamer on consoles anyway.

Metal Gear Solid V is another example of a game that did micro-transactions terribly. It's not that surprising, given that it was developed by Konami, but still. If they made it possible to earn the things you can buy with real money by playing regularly for a certain amount of time or by completing certain tasks, I wouldn't complain, but the only way you'll ever get additional bases in MP is by spending ludicrous amounts of cash on it.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
31-01-2016, 10:52 PM
I'm just going to put this up for tomorrow:

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
31-01-2016, 11:00 PM
tempted to get Civ beyond Earth in the steam sale. But DLC component is too expensive and I haven't heard anything good about that game.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
31-01-2016, 11:07 PM
Got one of those 75% deep discount log-on bonuses yesterday in Warframe, bought a little Platinum, and it's making my life a bit easier. Got a few more inventory slots for weapons and warframes, but I'm still putting in the work to unlock stuff normally. My Rhino frame should be done building by the time I get home, and my Ember frame will still have another 2 days to go, and the component pieces for my Valkyr frame should be finished so I can start the 3 day construction time on her as well. Now that I've got some Platinum, now I've got the extra slots to hold the additional warframes I'm making. Besides that, working on some more weapons mastery to hopefully push myself up to Rank 4 and unlock some more weapon options. Trying to get at least one good weapon in each slot (primary, secondary, melee) that excels at each of the primary damage types (puncture, slash, impact). Puncture tears through armor, impact devastates shields, and slash causes severe bleeding to the unprotected; effectively the trifecta represented by the game's three main enemy factions.

Also, Bayonetta on Wii U is fucking insane, and I love it!

31-01-2016, 11:46 PM
(31-01-2016 11:00 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  tempted to get Civ beyond Earth in the steam sale. But DLC component is too expensive and I haven't heard anything good about that game.

Same here but yea dat dlc price...
I've played it before, it's certainly not Civ V lets just say that. You can survive without buying it.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post