What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2016, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2016 06:07 PM by Free Thought.)
RE: What are you playing?
So... One of the ways to increase the value of a room and generate happy thoughts in the dwarves of the fortress is to engrave the smoothed out walls and floors, so that is what I am doing.

The only problem is that Ato and Mark Fulton are legendary at their craft of... etching the same seven images into the stone. Really, they seem to favour engraving images of a table, which is apparently the official symbol of a dwarven kingdom someplace, the founding of the fortress, and my dwarf and Gulegon in varying states of dismay as the dwarves refused us and we lost the position of expedition leader, among other images, but those seem to appear more often than anything else.

They also have a strange affinity for depicting the settling of a giant somewhere in the world in Year 1...

However, the shear repetitiveness of the engravings has reached a new hight recently as I just discovered:
[Image: ISLcHZM.png]

Mark Fulton has begun to simply engrave himself engraving.

At least I have yet to find an engraving of Nishi failing to harm the cat, or getting his head beaten in.

Edit: God fucking damnit... The hero that put down the rampaging Cilob? Yeah, he just went on a tantrum. He assulted one dwarf, but thankfully did not do much mroe the bruise him into unconsciousness. The war dog however was not so lucky; after many failed grabbing attempts, he finally succeeded in crushing the poor dog's left front paw into paste... Well shite.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
08-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Well FT, thank you for convincing me to never play Dwarf Fortress. The prospect that, among everything else that can and will go wrong, that I need to be worried about my own people going ape shit? Fuck that, that would be infuriating on a level I'm just not built to enjoy.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
08-03-2016, 07:58 PM
(08-03-2016 06:45 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Well FT, thank you for convincing me to never play Dwarf Fortress. The prospect that, among everything else that can and will go wrong, that I need to be worried about my own people going ape shit? Fuck that, that would be infuriating on a level I'm just not built to enjoy.

If you listen to the game devs, losing is fun.

But even if you don't, some epic stories have come from the madness of DF. I really encourage you to listen to these:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...IHLaMFsaOM
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...ASQx_zX4Bs

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
09-03-2016, 02:54 AM
(08-03-2016 07:58 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 06:45 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Well FT, thank you for convincing me to never play Dwarf Fortress. The prospect that, among everything else that can and will go wrong, that I need to be worried about my own people going ape shit? Fuck that, that would be infuriating on a level I'm just not built to enjoy.

If you listen to the game devs, losing is fun.

But even if you don't, some epic stories have come from the madness of DF. I really encourage you to listen to these:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...IHLaMFsaOM
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...ASQx_zX4Bs
Oooooh I'm enjoying these a lot.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
09-03-2016, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2016 02:40 PM by Free Thought.)
Oh no. Oh nononono...

[Image: smr5UNC.png]

Lets just hope that the dwarven caravan shows up to deal with it... Or that it somehow gets into the fortress and stuck in a cage trap.

Edit: Well there goes Logish, the stonecrafter. He was punched to death. Notably, one punch exploded his internal organs.
Turns out the giant was not happy with being surrounded by the death it created.

09-03-2016, 02:45 PM
(09-03-2016 02:30 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Oh no. Oh nononono...

[Image: smr5UNC.png]

Lets just hope that the dwarven caravan shows up to deal with it... Or that it somehow gets into the fortress and stuck in a cage trap.

Edit: Well there goes Logish, the stonecrafter. He was punched to death. Notably, one punch exploded his internal organs.
Turns out the giant was not happy with being surrounded by the death it created.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
09-03-2016, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2016 03:33 PM by Free Thought.)
Okay, so the giant's life has been ended. At first, I ordered all the dwarves into the fortress to wait for a caravan. The dwarven caravan did arrive, but I changed my mind, and ordered the full force of the military be thrown at the beast, in vengence for Logish.

The first to engage was Il Sitalled, the marksdwarf. He shot the giant in the abdomen, causing it to feel sick, before the dwarf fled back down the fortress entrance in terror.

A second marksdwarf, Adil Adilfesh, came and shot him, and was chased away from the fortress, he was barely able to stay away from the giant when his saviours arrived: the Speardwarf-who-likes-wrestling-more Edem Erlinrigoth charged the enormous thing, stabbing it in the head with their copper spear again and again and again, not a single shot missed, each one tearing muscle and fracturing the skull.
Edem was accompanied by the Hammerdwarf-who-likes-to-pretend-he-can-shoot Limul Dakostendok who rushed the beast at the same time; first fracturing the giant's right lower arm, before proceeding to whale on the giant with his copper war hammer, striking the head repeatedly, fracturing skull and bruising the muscle.
It would appear that Limul was the dwarf who got the kill, as his final strike exploded the head into gore.

I have decided to bestow the title of Giant Slayer to Limul in honour of his actions, and renamed him to Yakherder. Seemed appropriate.

All hail Yakherder Dakostendok, Giant Slayer.

Fun facts about the giant: after killing Logish, it was overwhelmed by horror. Also, it's description said it was 'Of average size', contradicting its announcement.
It took 25 hammer blows to the head and 15 spear stabs. In total it sustained 40 blows to the head before it died. And remember, every blow caused a fracture in the skull and tore/bruised muscle. It's no surprise the 26th hammer strike cause the head to explode. I mean, at that point did it even have a skull any more?

09-03-2016, 05:06 PM
Okay... So DF crashed and all was lost. This time an Ettin showed up and was promptly put down by Edem, who in this timeline has become Yakherder, Ettin Slayer.
However, it managed to scare away the dwarven traders before it perished. No trade for me this season.

10-03-2016, 10:15 AM
(07-03-2016 02:18 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Call Of Duty Black Ops: I think I was hacked. I was playing on Xbox Live on Saturday night. I reported someone for cheating about a dozen or so times, because he was invisible. The only thing you could see was the character name if you were looking directly at it. I also managed to hunt him down and kill him twice. This person threatened me to back off. I kept reporting them for cheating. So on Sunday morning I was woken up by my cell phone at 5:45 in the morning. The call was about a free goat that someone used my name and phone number to post an ad for on craigslist. I thought Xbox and Microsoft were supposed to keep information like that secure. This sucks. I did not much sleep the last 2 days.
Does your profile have your name? Some profiles show that. I've also seen instances where your xbox live name is the same used on other forums where you do divulge bits of your name or location all leading back to who you actually are.

Were you telling them you were reporting them? When I see crap like that on BO3 I just report and leave the lobby.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
10-03-2016, 10:27 AM
(10-03-2016 10:15 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 02:18 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Call Of Duty Black Ops: I think I was hacked. I was playing on Xbox Live on Saturday night. I reported someone for cheating about a dozen or so times, because he was invisible. The only thing you could see was the character name if you were looking directly at it. I also managed to hunt him down and kill him twice. This person threatened me to back off. I kept reporting them for cheating. So on Sunday morning I was woken up by my cell phone at 5:45 in the morning. The call was about a free goat that someone used my name and phone number to post an ad for on craigslist. I thought Xbox and Microsoft were supposed to keep information like that secure. This sucks. I did not much sleep the last 2 days.
Does your profile have your name? Some profiles show that. I've also seen instances where your xbox live name is the same used on other forums where you do divulge bits of your name or location all leading back to who you actually are.

Were you telling them you were reporting them? When I see crap like that on BO3 I just report and leave the lobby.

No, I did not tell them I was reporting them. My profile has no personal info, but xbox live has my personal info for billing. I don't think it was the reporting so much as succeeding in killing the bastard twice. It was not easy and I died about 15 times in the attempt.