What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2016, 10:53 PM
RE: What are you playing?
(28-04-2016 08:54 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 06:08 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Here's a protip. If you have any ambitions of creating something beautiful or symmetrical; give it up. The devs haven't given you enough resources in the vanilla game to make something good or cool looking. You can try of course, but the mechanics have a pattern of working fine for 5 minutes, and just when you're starting to feel good about making something nice, the game says "Oh I'm sorry, but we can't let you do that". For example, the game will just refuse to let you snap walls together for no reason, and it still won't work after trying everything to make it work.

If you wanna make something, "decent" I guess, stick to simple things. And get used to having wierd and off putting holes and lack of supports in your structures, 'cause Bethesda lol.

Yep, all very true... Not nearly enough resources available, and the build mechanic is clunky as hell.

With weapons and armour on, I can carry about 30 or 40 items of junk, with a follower carrying about the same... If I'm lucky I might get about 100 steel out of it, which you need for pretty much everything.

I have no idea where I can find concrete in the quantities I need to build anything worthwhile with it.

I opened this thread expecting you to say Dark Souls 3 Sam.
I am most disappoint.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2016, 11:07 PM
(28-04-2016 06:36 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Also Sam, if you have the Local Leader perk and you had an idea of building a hub, like a bar for your settlers to gather, you're gonna have a bad time. Pretty much every trading stand in the catalouge has these tall signs that will clip into roofs, making it an illegal action to place it. You can use the doormat glitch to make it work I guess, but that's no guarantee (and you'll be having a sign sticking up through a soild roof). You can also make a second story wall to "raise the roof". You can't stack walls on top of eachother though, you have to place upper floors, place walls on top of that and then remove the floor. However, you'll be stuck with a very visible gap between the walls, seemingly floating in mid air. So, I guess you have to use imagination and pretend there's not a giant hole there.

What I did to get around this was that I built all of my tier 3 stands inside just a single piece of the pre-fab building pieces, specifically the sheet metal half pipe over a wooden floor. It's high enough that the stand fits inside and under the center of the roof. It gives you someplace to hand a light from, and I just fill in the area between the stand and the rest of the sheet metal with stuff. I gave every merchant their own sleeping bag, desk, and chair in the space left under the roof but behind the stand. Every stand also got shelves, tables, chests and boxes. Specific vendors also got themed equipment, like how my weapon and armor vendors both had applicable workbenches, and how the doctor had an additional cot for patients.

It gave me a repeatable format that allowed me to make something cool looking and also assuage my interminable OCD.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
29-04-2016, 02:57 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2016 03:02 AM by ELK12695.)
(28-04-2016 08:54 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 06:08 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Here's a protip. If you have any ambitions of creating something beautiful or symmetrical; give it up. The devs haven't given you enough resources in the vanilla game to make something good or cool looking. You can try of course, but the mechanics have a pattern of working fine for 5 minutes, and just when you're starting to feel good about making something nice, the game says "Oh I'm sorry, but we can't let you do that". For example, the game will just refuse to let you snap walls together for no reason, and it still won't work after trying everything to make it work.

If you wanna make something, "decent" I guess, stick to simple things. And get used to having wierd and off putting holes and lack of supports in your structures, 'cause Bethesda lol.

Yep, all very true... Not nearly enough resources available, and the build mechanic is clunky as hell.

With weapons and armour on, I can carry about 30 or 40 items of junk, with a follower carrying about the same... If I'm lucky I might get about 100 steel out of it, which you need for pretty much everything.

I have no idea where I can find concrete in the quantities I need to build anything worthwhile with it.

I don't know about your copy of the game, but since the last patches I've noticed that almost every single junk trader sells atleast 2 shipments of concrete, coming in units of 200. I don't know if this is a glitch or if it's gone now, but if you need the big 3 of parts to build (Wood, Steel, Concrete), there are merchants who sell it every two days: Connie from Abernathy Farm sells wood and concrete, Diamond City surplus sells up to 5 shipments of steel depending on how many sets of 2 days you wait, Moe in Diamond City sells wood, and I think the junk trader in Bunker Hill sells concrete.

The other sureshit way of getting more resources is to assign trade caravans between you settlements, and build craploads of scavenging stations in every settlement you unlock. Since the caravans tie together all resources between settlements, you can expect quite a lot of different resources coming in. Just remember to link all the caravans to one location; I suggest you create one caravan to Sanctuary from your crafting HQ, which I presume is Red Rocket, and then tie all future caravans to Sanctuary (it's not a good idea to have more than one caravan to Red Rocket; the brahmin have a tendency of getting stuck inside the station, and it's very very annoying).

Also, when you eventually run out of adhesive, which you will, create a settlement that produces tatos, corn and muitfruit. Combine these fruits with purified water in a food station and you get Vegtable Stach, which gives a wopping 5 worth of adhesive. Useful if you're thinking of mass producing weapons and armor for you settlers.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
29-04-2016, 03:00 AM
(28-04-2016 11:07 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 06:36 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Also Sam, if you have the Local Leader perk and you had an idea of building a hub, like a bar for your settlers to gather, you're gonna have a bad time. Pretty much every trading stand in the catalouge has these tall signs that will clip into roofs, making it an illegal action to place it. You can use the doormat glitch to make it work I guess, but that's no guarantee (and you'll be having a sign sticking up through a soild roof). You can also make a second story wall to "raise the roof". You can't stack walls on top of eachother though, you have to place upper floors, place walls on top of that and then remove the floor. However, you'll be stuck with a very visible gap between the walls, seemingly floating in mid air. So, I guess you have to use imagination and pretend there's not a giant hole there.

What I did to get around this was that I built all of my tier 3 stands inside just a single piece of the pre-fab building pieces, specifically the sheet metal half pipe over a wooden floor. It's high enough that the stand fits inside and under the center of the roof. It gives you someplace to hand a light from, and I just fill in the area between the stand and the rest of the sheet metal with stuff. I gave every merchant their own sleeping bag, desk, and chair in the space left under the roof but behind the stand. Every stand also got shelves, tables, chests and boxes. Specific vendors also got themed equipment, like how my weapon and armor vendors both had applicable workbenches, and how the doctor had an additional cot for patients.

It gave me a repeatable format that allowed me to make something cool looking and also assuage my interminable OCD.

Welcome to Hotel Evolutionkills. You can check out whenever you want but you can never leave.

29-04-2016, 03:03 AM
(29-04-2016 02:57 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 08:54 PM)Sam Wrote:  Yep, all very true... Not nearly enough resources available, and the build mechanic is clunky as hell.

I don't know about your copy of the game, but since the last patches I've noticed that almost every single junk trader sells atleast 2 shipments of concrete, coming in units of 200. I don't know if this is a glitch or if it's gone now, but if you need the big 3 of parts to build (Wood, Steel, Concrete), there are merchants who sell it every two days: Connie from Abernathy Farm sells wood and concrete, Diamond City surplus sells up to 5 shipments of steel depending on how many sets of 2 days you wait, Moe in Diamond City sells wood, and I think the junk trader in Bunker Hill sells concrete.

The other sureshit way of getting more resources is to assign trade caravans between you settlements, and build craploads of scavenging stations in every settlement you unlock. Since the caravans tie together all resources between settlements, you can expect quite a lot of different resources coming in. Just remember to link all the caravans to one location; I suggest you create one caravan to Sanctuary from your crafting HQ, which I presume is Red Rocket, and then tie all future caravans to Sanctuary (it's not a good idea to have more than one caravan to Red Rocket; the brahmin have a tendency of getting stuck inside the station, and it's very very annoying).

Also, when you eventually run out of adhesive, which you will, create a settlement that produces tatos, corn and muitfruit. Combine these fruits with purified water in a food station and you get Vegtable Stach, which a wopping 5 worth of adhesive. Useful if you're thinking of mass producing weapons and armor for you settlers.

I liked using the abandoned movie theater lot as my central trading hub. All of my caravans lead to Starlight Drive In. It's large and open and is somewhat centrally located. Build a structure that can hold two dozen beds, put up some turrets and you're set

Also, the large pile of nuclear waste sitting in the pool of water in the middle of the lot? If you go into the build mode, you can bust the nuclear barrels down to scrap and it eliminates the radiation! Also that pool is large enough to put the largest water purifier in it, potentially making your trading hub a great water source too.

29-04-2016, 03:14 AM
(29-04-2016 03:03 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 02:57 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  I don't know about your copy of the game, but since the last patches I've noticed that almost every single junk trader sells atleast 2 shipments of concrete, coming in units of 200. I don't know if this is a glitch or if it's gone now, but if you need the big 3 of parts to build (Wood, Steel, Concrete), there are merchants who sell it every two days: Connie from Abernathy Farm sells wood and concrete, Diamond City surplus sells up to 5 shipments of steel depending on how many sets of 2 days you wait, Moe in Diamond City sells wood, and I think the junk trader in Bunker Hill sells concrete.

Also, when you eventually run out of adhesive, which you will, create a settlement that produces tatos, corn and muitfruit. Combine these fruits with purified water in a food station and you get Vegtable Stach, which a wopping 5 worth of adhesive. Useful if you're thinking of mass producing weapons and armor for you settlers.

I liked using the abandoned movie theater lot as my central trading hub. All of my caravans lead to Starlight Drive In. It's large and open and is somewhat centrally located. Build a structure that can hold two dozen beds, put up some turrets and you're set

Also, the large pile of nuclear waste sitting in the pool of water in the middle of the lot? If you go into the build mode, you can bust the nuclear barrels down to scrap and it eliminates the radiation! Also that pool is large enough to put the largest water purifier in it, potentially making your trading hub a great water source too.

I overlooked the Drive In the last two playthroughs since I missed the workshop inside the tiny shack. It's a nice open area with tons of steel.

Although Bethesda recently added waterpurifiers that you can set down like the waterpumps, equal to the medium purifier, so any settlement can mass produce water now in a sense.

29-04-2016, 03:38 AM
(29-04-2016 03:00 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 11:07 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  What I did to get around this was that I built all of my tier 3 stands inside just a single piece of the pre-fab building pieces, specifically the sheet metal half pipe over a wooden floor. It's high enough that the stand fits inside and under the center of the roof. It gives you someplace to hand a light from, and I just fill in the area between the stand and the rest of the sheet metal with stuff. I gave every merchant their own sleeping bag, desk, and chair in the space left under the roof but behind the stand. Every stand also got shelves, tables, chests and boxes. Specific vendors also got themed equipment, like how my weapon and armor vendors both had applicable workbenches, and how the doctor had an additional cot for patients.

Welcome to Hotel Evolutionkills. You can check out whenever you want but you can never leave.

Not really. The lot across from your house, it is between two other lots which you can break don to their foundations. The one closer to the cul-de-sac I place two of the prefabs next to each other (usually the drinks and doctor, turning the other half of the foundation into an open air bar to accommodate the other settlers), but bordering one side of the foundations. I do the same with the other lot, but instead place the remaining four with an access pathway in the center that allows through traffic and access to the trader's services (two rows of parallel stalls, with backside access to all of them for the trader themselves). So I have to place steps at the base of the foundation to allow the traders to walk up to their stalls, but the rear of the half pipes are open. So while their beds are there, the traders are free to come and go as their radiant AI routines dictate.

29-04-2016, 03:52 AM
(29-04-2016 03:38 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 03:00 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Welcome to Hotel Evolutionkills. You can check out whenever you want but you can never leave.

Not really. The lot across from your house, it is between two other lots which you can break don to their foundations. The one closer to the cul-de-sac I place two of the prefabs next to each other (usually the drinks and doctor, turning the other half of the foundation into an open air bar to accommodate the other settlers), but bordering one side of the foundations. I do the same with the other lot, but instead place the remaining four with an access pathway in the center that allows through traffic and access to the trader's services (two rows of parallel stalls, with backside access to all of them for the trader themselves). So I have to place steps at the base of the foundation to allow the traders to walk up to their stalls, but the rear of the half pipes are open. So while their beds are there, the traders are free to come and go as their radiant AI routines dictate.
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Well, it was a joke, sir.

29-04-2016, 04:22 AM
(29-04-2016 03:52 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 03:38 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Not really. The lot across from your house, it is between two other lots which you can break don to their foundations. The one closer to the cul-de-sac I place two of the prefabs next to each other (usually the drinks and doctor, turning the other half of the foundation into an open air bar to accommodate the other settlers), but bordering one side of the foundations. I do the same with the other lot, but instead place the remaining four with an access pathway in the center that allows through traffic and access to the trader's services (two rows of parallel stalls, with backside access to all of them for the trader themselves). So I have to place steps at the base of the foundation to allow the traders to walk up to their stalls, but the rear of the half pipes are open. So while their beds are there, the traders are free to come and go as their radiant AI routines dictate.
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Well, it was a joke, sir.

Laugh out load

I've been at work for almost 8 hours, I'm tired and bored... Tongue

29-04-2016, 05:59 AM
In other news, I still mute the game and disable subtitles whenever I clear the wreck of the FMS Northern Star to get the agility bobblehead. Atleast John Carpenter had the excuse of a limited budget and time in The Thing with this guy:

Atleast Bethesda could have gotten an actual Norwegian to proofcheck the lines, or a Norwegian that didn't get a 2 in the final exam on his own language, lol.