What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2016, 09:45 PM
RE: What are you playing?
My next game I might play Fascist New Zealand and take over Australia.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the tips muffs.

I'm at the point where I have my entire national focus tree done though. It's faster now and undid figure that having free civilian facilities made it faster. I'll try to restructure maybe later. I do have a lot of civvie factories though

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
25-08-2016, 10:31 AM
:Waits for Hearts of Iron IV to go on sale:

Looks kinda interesting. I generally don't go for the huge strategic games, aside from the Total War series. That's mainly because it goes into RTS mode when you do actual battles. The abstract fighting kinda turns me off. I'd be willing to give it a shot though. Been playing WH40k Armageddon and havin quite a bit of fun, even though it's not nearly on that level of scale.
28-08-2016, 05:09 AM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2016 06:07 AM by Free Thought.)
I've been playing lots of Hearts of Iron IV... a distressing amount if I didn't ready spend so much time in games.

Got a resource re-do mod installed and ran as the German Reich. Got my ass kicked the first round; I decided to go after Switzerland to give my an easier path to Paris, but no; the French guaranteed their independence and marched on me, and at the same time the Polish were total dicks about my totally reasonable demand that Danzing should be returned to her nation.
Sooo... yeah. ended up in WW2 a bit early and got curbstomped; the French on the ground and the Brits in the sea and air...

This time I was more careful; went after the East first through diplomatic means. Sadly the blasted Soviets bead my to the Polish banquet table; I was still able to take Warsaw and the majority of western Poland, but the Soviets managed to push far deeper west than I am remotely comfortable with. I'm going to have to Maginot the new boarder and keep the bulk of my forces on the boarder... and hope Hungary and Lithuania wont fold if the Soviets want to go a few rounds with the Reich.
On the Western front, I had thought long ahead and counter-Maginot'd yearly on. In reality the French and British forces were actually able to push a fair way into Germany before their forces were turned back. Not so this time; the French boarder is heavily fortified and garrisoned. I have failed to establish aerial superiority on the Western front and have no air defences outside of the few fighters I have. I was too focused on building and upgrading my panzer and mechanised divisions that I left my air power fall behind. The war triggered in 1941. Based on my rough guesstimates, the Reich would still not be fully armed until at least mid 42 for all the tanks, artillery, anti-tank guns, and mechanised units needed to be produced, not to mention the fighter and bomber replacements...
My industry is suffocated under the current demand; the vast majority of the civilian industry is focused on the production of oil refineries and dockyards to facilitate my growing need for ships and oil/rubber. In order to maximise them, I have no inbound trade, and production of all the most important parts of my armies is slow.
I have a Panzer army (11 divisions) under Rommel going through Italy and southern France making bee-line for Paris, but they are not moving fast enough... I had hoped to use the Italian advance as a cover and rush right through and past, but I guess the game mechanically doesn't like that.

In seaborne news, my fleet of 10 Destroyers (mostly 1st class) managed in a single engagement to hunt down and kill 47 subs in the Baltic Sea; 26 French, 21 British. My Kreigsmarine fleet is currently trying to hold Wilhelmshaven. It numbers ~48 ships, 19 Destroyers, 10 Light Crusiers, 10 Heavy Cruisers, and a few battlecrusiers and battleships. The English and French are throwing convoy after convoy at it, most certainly in an attempt to land troops.

[Image: 549BBFEA4CB43634EDCEC2BD1ED560DCFC780EC9]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-08-2016, 03:11 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2016 11:00 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(17-08-2016 01:41 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  OK so muffs and Vosur, disagree about Witcher3. Care to expand on that?

They're both 'role playing games', but they each cater to very different styles and mechanics.

The Witcher is a third person RPG with set protagonist in a world with a few large hub zones and an emphasis on a strong and unified yet adaptable narrative.

Skyrim, much like all of it's previous incarnations and it's sister series Fallout, is an immersive sim. It's an RPG set in a massive and truly open world, with a emphasis on player choice and customization, set in a world built upon layers of interactive mechanics and systems.

Skyrim allows you to ignore the main story almost entirely, and you can still get hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of the experience. The game mechanics allow for a far greater breadth of play and mechanics than anything The Witcher series has ever been able to offer. Skyrim's world offers a level of interaction and granularity that simply does not exist in The Witcher. When you enter a home in Skyrim, it is littered with object; and each and every single one is modeled, has a price, weight, interacts with physics, and can be moved, stolen, and sold. The interiors of homes in The Witcher 3 are almost entirely static an non-interactive. Skyrim allows you to play a hero or villain of your own creation, whether they be a mighty warrior, a stealthy rogue, a powerful caster, or any combination in between. The Witcher 3 has you play some flavor of Geralt, and you are limited to the same small handful of mechanics and abilities. Skyrim's clockwork world allows for non-obvious solutions to problems and for the creative circumvention of the game itself; something The Witcher 3 doesn't come close to matching.

The Witcher 3 is a beautiful world with solid gameplay and an excellent narrative, but it's beauty is largely window dressing; the level of interaction you have with the world is rather limited. So it's the freedom of choice and the promise of a reactive clockwork world that keeps bringing me back time and again to immersive sims like the Elder Scrolls series, the Fallout series, the Deus Ex series, the Thief series (except for the latest one), the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, Arx Fatalis, System Shock 2, Bioshock, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, and Dishonored. It's why I've already dumped 50 hours into Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, why I've spent the last week getting back into TES3: Morrowind (thanks to the Complete Morrowind Overhaul mod), and why I'm super excited about the upcoming Dishonored 2 and PREY.

Besides both being, in very broad terms, fantasy RPG's, Skyrim and The Witcher are two very different takes on the genre that scratch very different itches.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
31-08-2016, 03:15 AM
HOI4 does not seem to lend itself well to historical reenactment...
The allies tend to be far more capable than they were... Under no circumstances could the France of 1940 be able to cover Western Germany in hundreds of fighters, hold the Maginot Line, the Netherlands, Belgium, and take Italy simultaneously.

I have yet to figure how to make armour divisions push through the front lines and penetrate deep into hostile territory without fighting for every scrap of earth that is remotely in between the jumpoff point and hold position. The point of the Panzers was to make pinpoint thrusts, blow through or even just past hostile units followed by mechanised infantry that would hold the gap while the Panzers intercepted reinforcements or encircled and stuck engaged units from the rear...

It doesn't help that I have yet to sufficiently master production streamlining, which leaves me endlessly undersupplied.... I can't muster the forces to push to Paris, let alone attempt Barbarossa...

31-08-2016, 06:52 PM
(31-08-2016 03:15 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  HOI4 does not seem to lend itself well to historical reenactment...
The allies tend to be far more capable than they were... Under no circumstances could the France of 1940 be able to cover Western Germany in hundreds of fighters, hold the Maginot Line, the Netherlands, Belgium, and take Italy simultaneously.

I have yet to figure how to make armour divisions push through the front lines and penetrate deep into hostile territory without fighting for every scrap of earth that is remotely in between the jumpoff point and hold position. The point of the Panzers was to make pinpoint thrusts, blow through or even just past hostile units followed by mechanised infantry that would hold the gap while the Panzers intercepted reinforcements or encircled and stuck engaged units from the rear...

It doesn't help that I have yet to sufficiently master production streamlining, which leaves me endlessly undersupplied.... I can't muster the forces to push to Paris, let alone attempt Barbarossa...

Don't worry, you just suck bro.
Also, you can manually command troops to attack certain provinces. You can slo put your panzers in a separate group to your infantry. Your panzers will push up much faster because they're not pushing up and waiting for infantry to catch up, they'll just teamroll ahead.

Also, don't attack the Maginot line. It has lvl10 forts on the whole front, you're not gonna push into it. Just have enough infantry to defend your side. You wanna attack Belgium and Luxembourg (or ahistorically, Switzerland) and push quick into France from there with your panzers gunning for Paris using your infantry to bring up the rare to make sure your panzers don't get cut off.
If you take Paris and a few other surrounding cities and towns France will give up.
Never have to lose a single man to the Maginot line. If you give France time to gear up and extend the Maginot line into Belgium you're gonna have issues.

For a standard Germany start you wanna gear up, declare on Poland when Danzig or War event pops. Attack Poland and quickly capitulate them (shouldn't be hard). Defending your side of the Maginot line in the mean time. Once Polands smashed take the focus to get claims on Belgium/Netherlands/Luxembourg. Move your panzers into position to take these countries. Declare on Belgium and Luxembourg and Netherlands if you want (though you don't have too) and quickly push into those countries and follow through and take France.

Don't even need to call in Italy as they can take French territory meaning less for you. (though you should call them in after because they'll fight in Africa for you.)

Than defend your coast from invasions and move your troops to the Soviet boarder and prepare for Barbarossa. Attack the Soviets. Annex the Soviets.
And than from there you can take India and Middle East and Africa and the British Isles. Than prepare for the push into America.
05-09-2016, 04:56 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
15-09-2016, 07:37 AM
The glorious Reich has all of Europe under boot, either as allies, or victims. Or Sweden which I just can't be bothered invading or couping...I guess invading Sweden would give my troops something to do... maybe later.

The German-Polish War continues to rage into 1952. Africa and the Americas are the sole bastions of democracy remaining. Britain continues her fight through her two remaining progeny, South Africa and Canada. Australia turned to Fascism and joined the Axis in 43 and New Zealand in the same year joined the Comintern prior to the fall of the USSR.
The United States is now the primary force on the side of the Allies, committing vast numbers of troops to Africa and Asia, where they continue to free Egypt from Italian treads and the Raj from Japanese swords.

Suffice it to say, things are going pretty okay. I am just a few percentage points shy of being able to offer the allies terms. Now Britain is firmly under heel, I'll focus on getting control of the seas between Europe and Muricaville. Then we shall see how many millions of Marines it takes to establish a foothold on the US...

[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
15-09-2016, 10:23 AM
The Division

Been logging on at night and doing missions with my son. Fun stuff.