What are you playing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2016, 06:44 AM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2016 08:02 AM by Free Thought.)
RE: What are you playing?
HOI4

I just launched three simultaneous invasions of the US and Canada, prioritising port regions; my invasion of Alaska failed. My mountain forces got there fine but couldn't advance to aid my Marines landing at Anchorage, so the mountaineers are stranded and cut off from supply, and my Marines were beaten back.
My invasion of Nova Scotia was on the ropes; I managed to land a contingent of 11 infantry divisions, who were unable to take the port. I had them push onward hoping to take the next one. Meanwhile my nearby force invading Quebec was beaten back. Fortunately, my infantry were able to hold out until the Norwegians (who defected from the Swedish-led Scandinavian Alliance to the Axis when Britain declared on them) attempted their own landings; the failed to take either of the ports on NS, but they inflicted enough loses that the Allies withdrew, while also landing men in the path I had cleared. I managed to secure that port and transferred the forces from the failed Quebec landings there. I am now preparing to make a due pronged push; my motorised divisions will split off and move to take their vengeance on Quebec and force the Canadians to step down while my infantry push for DC.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the continent: my final landed were successful: an army of 60 infantry backed by three Panzer divisions (consisting of three motorised brigades and 6 brigades of E-50 Standardpanzers so they may be lacking in numbers but nothing else) landed unopposed in Washington, and took Seattle and the surrounding ports. Unfortunately the American response was swift; because the AI is questionable at times, my forces didn't adopt a defensive ring around the landing lone as I had instructed, so they have been forced to fall back into Seattle to hold out until I can organise reinforcement. Their supply is poor, but my Infantry is purpose built to dig in and hold, and Seattle's port will keep them alive while I hold the waters between the US and Siberia.

Update: Canada has capitulated. Since I seem to have almost all 800-something divisions the US has to offer coming down on me on the east coast, I've been trying to pour my mainland defence forces into Canada and contain them so I can ready and advance. However, the game seems to prefer sitting around in France not doing anything productive so when they land, they typically just go right back. Facepalm

The US has over 11000 fighters in the air on covering the eastern seaboard. Even if I could get all my fighters over there I'd still have at best half their numbers, so air support is out. i managed to push to Boston before the US rallied and encircled that force while the rest of my armies were trying to contain the surging mass of blue. I'm losing territory by the centimetre now. My forces don't have time to dig in. I've taken to relying on my Panzer Corps to cut the line down. Not much seems able to withstand 20 of my panzer divisions bearing down at once, so there is that...
At least my forces on the Western Seaboard are fairing better. Managed to push about a third of the way to San Francisco, with no sign of slowing. Seems most of the US forces are in the East.
With Canada capitulating, my Mountaineers trapped in Alaska were able to get resupplied. They are now pushing on Anchorage, with the Marines having linked up with the Seattle forces.

Strategically things are at best shaky. If I can't get more bodies into Canada, I might see a good half of my available military might wiped out. The rest are tied down in Africa or garrisoning the mainland.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2016, 05:00 PM
I found the best way to invade the US is to basically just take all the Americas. Attack South America because they're pie and then just push up through Mexico and attack the US from the south. If you get into a stalemate position, send naval invasions to areas behind enemy lines (that include a port for supply) and either divert some of their attention away from the main line or attempt to encircle them.

[Image: oscar.png]
29-09-2016, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2016 06:47 PM by Dark Wanderer.)
Playing Rimworld. Just had a bunch of potatoes fall from the sky and winter finally ended. Huzzah!

I built my base into one large box compound made of wood. Living dangerously.

It's on permadeath mode too.

[Image: 20160929204421_1_zpseahia53e.jpg]

Trying to get a slate wall build around it to avoid any nasty fires that those bastard raiders try to start.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
29-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Playing Pillars of Eternity.
I've played this game before but I never finished it. Couldn't really get into it for some reason.
But this time around I'm fucking loving it. Takes me back to when I used to play Baldur's Gate. This game is serious good.
The story's good. The gameplay is fantastic. The combat is good. The characters are good. The exploring is good. It's just a good game. If you loved Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale and Netherwinter Nights and those other old school DnD games you need to add this to your steam wishlist and get it when it goes on sale next. (it's a paradox game so it'll go on sale eventually).

It's making me insanely pumped for Tyranny. I just want a fucking release date on Tyranny. Just give me a fucking release date Obsidian! Well.. Paradox I think is in charge of the release date. Give me the fucking release date Paradox!

Oh and Rimworld because of Dark Wanderer.
And Cities Skylines.

29-09-2016, 07:34 PM
(29-09-2016 07:29 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Playing Pillars of Eternity.
I've played this game before but I never finished it. Couldn't really get into it for some reason.
But this time around I'm fucking loving it. Takes me back to when I used to play Baldur's Gate. This game is serious good.
The story's good. The gameplay is fantastic. The combat is good. The characters are good. The exploring is good. It's just a good game. If you loved Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale and Netherwinter Nights and those other old school DnD games you need to add this to your steam wishlist and get it when it goes on sale next. (it's a paradox game so it'll go on sale eventually).

It's making me insanely pumped for Tyranny. I just want a fucking release date on Tyranny. Just give me a fucking release date Obsidian! Well.. Paradox I think is in charge of the release date. Give me the fucking release date Paradox!

And Cities Skylines.

I may have to check out Pillars someday. Haven't gotten into an RPG in a long time. Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale were my go-to games back in the day.

These days I only play 1-2 games at a time though. At the moment Rim World and Curious Expedition are my obsessions.
30-09-2016, 01:22 AM
[Image: 249FC7510603FBDB11C006AA69CD16D5B0E8BDE8]

And all it took was turning the entirety of Arizona and Utah into radioactive wastelands and take one additional step deeper into the US.

I pupetted everything I could. ... Mostly because I did not want to bother with anything at that point.

There exists no force that can stop the Reich now.
The only remaining factions are the Scandinavian Alliance of Sweden and Finland, and the communist Oceanian Combine of Australia and New Zealand.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
30-09-2016, 05:26 AM
You know that you can create more theaters right?
It's hurting my soul you have all your armies under one theatre. And that there's multiple armies with the same colour. Im gonna have an OCD heart attack.

But other than that, good work.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
30-09-2016, 06:34 AM
(29-09-2016 07:34 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(29-09-2016 07:29 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Playing Pillars of Eternity.

And Cities Skylines.

I may have to check out Pillars someday. Haven't gotten into an RPG in a long time. Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale were my go-to games back in the day.

These days I only play 1-2 games at a time, though. At the moment Rim World and Curious Expedition are my obsessions.

You could wait for Tyranny, it's coming out some point this year (touch wood).
It's got a different character building system to Pillars. Pillars is classed base which is fine but unlike Baldur's Gate there's no multi or dual classing so once you create your character you're pretty locked in. Mind you there's still plenty of flexibility like I have an NPC character Durance who's a priest. Instead of having him in robes casting healing spells I've got him in chain mail with sword and board. But my main character is an evil Paladin and so my abilities are limited to Paladin abilities.

Tyranny, on the other hand, is going skill based, much like Skyrim. You can use whatever abilities you want but the more you use one the more you level it up and so become better at that thing. It opens the ability to play a Paladin-like character but also able to cast spells in a limited capacity. I think it's gonna be a great system that fits this style of game very well.

Plus I think the stories gonna be better. But I'm a pessimist so the idea that evil won and you play as an evil henchman appeals to me greatly.

30-09-2016, 06:45 AM
(30-09-2016 06:34 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Plus I think the stories gonna be better. But I'm a pessimist so the idea that evil won and you play as an evil henchman appeals to me greatly.

Unfortunately the lead writer, Chris Avellone, jumped ship last year.

He worked as the project director and lead creative designer on Dead Money, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road Fallout: New Vegas DLC. As of 2012, Avellone has been working as a narrative designer on role-playing video game Project Eternity, later known as Pillars of Eternity. On June 9, 2015, he revealed that he had departed from Obsidian Entertainment. On September 25, 2015, Larian Studios announced that Chris will be working with them on Divinity: Original Sin 2 on games Kickstarter page.

Avellone is one of gaming's all time greats. Look at his fucking track record... Shocking

Star Trek: Starfleet Academy (1997)
Fallout 2 (1998)
Descent to Undermountain (1998)
Planescape: Torment (1999)
Icewind Dale (2000)
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter (2001)
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (2001)
Icewind Dale II (2002)
Van Buren (2003 - canceled)
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (2003)
Champions of Norrath (2004)
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (2004)
Neverwinter Nights 2 (2006)
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (2007)
Alpha Protocol (2010)
Fallout: New Vegas (2010)
Wasteland 2 (2014)
FTL: Advanced Edition (2014)
Pillars of Eternity (2015)
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (2016)
Torment: Tides of Numenera (2017)
Prey (2017)

But hey, a sequel to Divinity: Original Sin and Planescape: Torment, plus working on Bethesda/Arkane Studio's PREY? I'll take it.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
30-09-2016, 04:27 PM
I'm surprised a guy that worked on Planescape, Icewind, Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights would wanna jump ship from Tyranny to Divinity.
The first Divinity was a little bit trash, way too grindy. The concept was fine and it had a lot of good points but sadly it feel way to short gameplay wise. And Tyranny is far more like those old school rpg's. I didn't know there was a new Planescape, that could be interesting. I believe there's a new Icewind Dale on the horizon as well.

We'll see.